??? Bryce Canyon - suggestions or comments ??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Your car/truck into the park, they say they plan on stopping this but were still doing it two years ago. and I went all through the park in 2009 but I hiked up the Angels Walk Trail to within 100' of the top, by then my knees were in pretty tough shape.
Stude
It's a seasonal thing. Three year ago, in the spring, we were there the last week of driving being allowed, last May it was shuttle bus only beyond the Watchman Campground entrance unless you were in transit to the Lodge or had a HP sticker/pass.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:04 AM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bob I think Zion has to be one of my favourite places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's a seasonal thing. Three year ago, in the spring, we were there the last week of driving being allowed, last May it was shuttle bus only beyond the Watchman Campground entrance unless you were in transit to the Lodge or had a HP sticker/pass.
Yes around end of May it is transit for 6 months then cars again, Transit is better because of the driver and his knowledge of the park and what one can learn about it, went up river for a bit in 09 with a group of people.
I sure would like to walk through the tunnel and take pictures from those openings etc.
Maybe a good tour guide would be the way to see in there.
Stude
End Quote.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Winter camping

Has anyone been to Bryce in Late Feb? Is that to early to go - snow issues?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Weather Underground says Feb 20 average temp is a high of 38, low of 13 degrees. At those temps snow is certainly possible. Elevation is pretty high, about 7500 feet or so.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #25

British Columbia
Bryce Canyon elevation is 7800' to about 8300'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Weather Underground says Feb 20 average temp is a high of 38, low of 13 degrees. At those temps snow is certainly possible. Elevation is pretty high, about 7500 feet or so.
:
so you can almost get snow anytime of the year there and it is cold up there when your that high.
Stude
Old 11-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #26

Here's the annual Temp and Precipitation chart from the National Park Service for Bryce Canyon: February doesn't look all that inviting, at least not for a long stay anyway.

Weather - Bryce Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 11-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:
so you can almost get snow anytime of the year there and it is cold up there when your that high.
Stude
Yup appreciate that - it happens in these parts as well from time to time .. but I thought spring might come a bit earlier normally than it does in these parts and the annual temp charts seem to suggest that.... but was wondered about anyones real life experiences in regards to heavy snow covered roads etc in Late Feb early March range or is the road in general clear at that time of year?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here's the annual Temp and Precipitation chart from the National Park Service for Bryce Canyon: February doesn't look all that inviting, at least not for a long stay anyway.

Weather - Bryce Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
I am a Northern girl Bob the cold doesnt scare me... just heading off to Banff National Park where it can be as low as -40 C & F at this time of year
Old 11-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I am a Northern girl Bob the cold doesnt scare me... just heading off to Banff National Park where it can be as low as -40 C & F at this time of year
Up to 9°C in Calgary today. We had a bit of winter earlier this week, but forecast highs above freezing for the next week. Weird warm weather this fall.

When we were last at Bryce Canyon, it was the very end of September. Daytime highs were near 30°C, but at night it cooled off to just above freezing. Huge temperature shift. We headed down to Zion after that, and for the first of October, it was over 30°C every day, and nights were very warm too. Crazy Utah weather.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #30

Same chart shows 17"-18" of snow in January, February and March. I'd guess you should expect snow through March. Three years ago in May it was snowing when we went to Bryce, but it was shirt sleeve weather in Zion. This past May it was sunny & warm both places. The main (and almost only) road through the park is generally very good and they plow frequently. But I would carry chains, weather changes rapidly at that altitude.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #31

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Kodachrome is great and often not crowded. The Cannonville KOA is nice too. Also a hint for visiting the park: All the overlooks are on the right so drive all the way to the end and then stop at the overlooks on your way back down. We love Bryce, one of our favorites! Have fun.
Happy Trails,
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #32

I think at Bryce that they are on the left side driving from the visitor center to the end. But we get the idea, no left turns.....

Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #33

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Angels Landing is an awesome trail... not for the faint at heart or fear of heights... my hubby went on it, lost his footing (not wearing hiking shoes with good traction), he was very lucky to catch a branch and pull himself up... no one ahead of him and no one behind him to see... I was acting as photographer back at the beginning of the trail... I could have been the one wondering what happened to him and why there were emergency vehicles on the ground... previously that day we met a local in a shop who had hiked the trail for years and said she would no longer use it because it is so eroded and soft sandstone... just be careful.

If going through St George I would recommend getting reservations at Snow Canyon our West of town toward Santa Clara... beautiful hiking only a few campsites and not far from artist town of Kayenta a nice side trip.

Enjoy!
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #34

British Columbia
I to did the trail and found it a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
Angels Landing is an awesome trail... not for the faint at heart or fear of heights... my hubby went on it, lost his footing (not wearing hiking shoes with good traction), he was very lucky to catch a branch and pull himself up... no one ahead of him and no one behind him to see... I was acting as photographer back at the beginning of the trail... I could have been the one wondering what happened to him and why there were emergency vehicles on the ground... previously that day we met a local in a shop who had hiked the trail for years and said she would no longer use it because it is so eroded and soft sandstone... just be careful.

If going through St George I would recommend getting reservations at Snow Canyon our West of town toward Santa Clara... beautiful hiking only a few campsites and not far from artist town of Kayenta a nice side trip.

Enjoy!
hugging the wall on the last parts and hanging onto the chain as not the right shoes but have to wear what I do as bad feet so don't do much of this any more and that was the first and last time for me , but when I think back on it I'm glad of the adventure.
I like to walk with cane on level land or push the walker out in front of me so I can sit if the pain gets bad and wait it out until I can more again. Had to use a Dentist in St George this very Thanksgiving weekend and lucky for me he had sent his staff home and he still took me in, he gave me a prescription to kill he pain and off I went, could not anything until I got home. Next stop was Kingman then Blythe area to meet up with friends and learn quite a bit about rocks from another camper while waiting. Left Kingman for a Route 66 Museum only to find this one was closed but down the road another was open so went there after few days of putting around, from there to LA and the coast now really heading for home but still took another 3 weeks of driving route 1, did the Hearst Castle twice, real interesting place to see. Did in 2012 with my wife but she refused to spend more for another tour. Got Oregon and see more of it than usual, also did the Washington Coast this time to.
Great trip 3 months US and 2 months Canada. Home in time for Christmas with Family again.
Stude.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
Angels Landing is an awesome trail...
I did it solo a couple years ago. My wife would have never done it, as she is terribly afraid of heights. My buddy had a bum knee, and his wife wasn't into going either. I caught the first bust from the gates at 7AM, and was back before noon. I was sore for a week after for pushing so hard, literally running all the way back down. Still, it was a fun hike. While there is lots of exposure, it is not hard, or unsafe.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 AM   #36

British Columbia
Yep for some it does not take long and thankfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did it solo a couple years ago. My wife would have never done it, as she is terribly afraid of heights. My buddy had a bum knee, and his wife wasn't into going either. I caught the first bust from the gates at 7AM, and was back before noon. I was sore for a week after for pushing so hard, literally running all the way back down. Still, it was a fun hike. While there is lots of exposure, it is not hard, or unsafe.
: it did not get dark until around 7PM I started out at 8AM and got back at 6PM was a long day and I learned a long time ago never push it as that is when accidents happen.
One can see for ever from up there.
Stude
Old 11-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #37

Registry
My whole life of doing outdoor pursuits has been based on pushing it, whether it be rock climbing, hiking, canoeing and kayaking, backcountry or downhill skiing, mountain or road biking, etc. I do this for the improvement of both my physical and mental well being. I am still young at 58, and pushing the limits is a big part of the fun for me. I do so with a certain margin of safety though, and that margin is raising more as I get old.

Angels Landing is actually a fairly easy hike, and you are right Stude, the view is phenomenal. I will be doing it again some time in the future, of that I have no doubt.

I did take the time to stop and enjoy the scenery, and take some photos.

This one is about halfway up the easiest part that everyone does.

This is partway up the more exposed part. They have a good chain to hang onto if you are worried about falling.

A bit further

Pretty steep on the side of the trail in a couple spots

The view is quite nice

Proof I was up there

Can it get any easier, with steps carved into the rock for you?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #38

Registry
Just another shot on the way down

Back on the easier trail. They sure have done some great work building these trails to carry the masses.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #39

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We hiked Angel's Landing in 2012, when our kids were 9 and 11. I was terrified the entire time that one of them would fall to their death, so I made them quit just shy of the top. We headed back to a 'safer' spot and waited while my husband finished the hike. My son was SO MAD at me for not letting him finish, so it was decided that we'll go back when he is 16 and do it again. That's also the year he intends to hike to the top of Long's Peak in Colorado....!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #40

British Columbia
Jim about where u are standing is where I packed it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My whole life of doing outdoor pursuits has been based on pushing it, whether it be rock climbing, hiking, canoeing and kayaking, backcountry or downhill skiing, mountain or road biking, etc. I do this for the improvement of both my physical and mental well being. I am still young at 58, and pushing the limits is a big part of the fun for me. I do so with a certain margin of safety though, and that margin is raising more as I get old.

Angels Landing is actually a fairly easy hike, and you are right Stude, the view is phenomenal. I will be doing it again some time in the future, of that I have no doubt.

I did take the time to stop and enjoy the scenery, and take some photos.

This one is about halfway up the easiest part that everyone does.

This is partway up the more exposed part. They have a good chain to hang onto if you are worried about falling.

A bit further

Pretty steep on the side of the trail in a couple spots

The view is quite nice

Proof I was up there

Can it get any easier, with steps carved into the rock for you?

I got as close to the top as I wanted but when I looked at the last little bit with my bad knees I thought that's it and I rested there and enjoyed the scenery that I really never looked at much on the way up, I figured if I fell it was one long bounce after another. After my rest with feet hanging over the edge and someone came to my assistance and gave me a hand on getting back up I headed back down, really taking my time, I was 65 and now I'm 71 and my knees are even worse along with all kinds of Arthritis and Sciatica and fight skin cancers at least once every year, I just enjoy the drive and the scenery of places now, I let my much younger wife do the hiking.
Stude