Bypassing Dothan Alabama - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Bypassing Dothan Alabama

Does anyone on the forum live in or near Dothan, AL, or is anyone familiar with the roads in and around Dothan. Specifically, I would like to know if there is a way to avoid Ross Clark Circle when traveling on Route 231. Anyone know of a "bypass?"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: Jill
Trailer: Burro&uhaul
Hi we live 34 miles east of al boarder off I20 in ga is construction going on there? Husband and other camping buddy said "just go thru it" I don't remember what it looks like always the passenger! Good luck
Jill p b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I use Google Maps to determine the route I take. Just type in your location and destination and it will show you the route and time ( in current traffic even ) and offer alternative routes.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #4

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
-
imho, it's best to just turn right and take the circle around, then turn right to get back on 231.
is a bypass necessary?
however, i agree, consult google maps or mapquest before traveling.
happy trails!

-
wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Google maps does not provide an acceptable alternative to traveling on Ross Clark Circle. In reality, had I asked what method do people use to find their way, generic answers like "Google Maps" might be an appropriate answer. Believe it or not, I am quite familiar with Google Maps. And Garmin.....and I have been misled by both enough times to know that they cannot always be trusted. So that is why I SPECIFICALLY requested information from SOMEONE WITH KNOWLEDGE of the Dothan area and do not find statements like "just drive through it" or "refer to Google Maps" at all helpful, useful, or even an answer to the question I asked. Is a bypass necessary? Few things in life are necessary. But bypassing it would be preferable to driving Ross Clark Circle. And yes, if I could save 10 or 15 minutes every time I pass through the Dothan area it would be beneficial. So perhaps someone with an intimate knowledge of Dothan can respond and provide an informative answer to my question.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Forum advice

Sorry you did not get the advice you desired on an easy or better way through Dothan Al.from this forum. As I read the posts with advice freely given by good people from all over the United States and Canada, I often come across advice contrary to my experience. Rather than argue with the posters or ridicule their offering, I go on to the next posting. Free advice is like seining minnows, you pick out the ones that meet your needs for the day and return the rest to the water. If there's a little lead time available you can "to the top" your message and hope for another better answer, it's like pulling the seine through the hole the second time. Minnows, advice, and blue sky are free, most of the time. Sometimes this is hard to do, especially if you're in a hurry, you get hooked up on a snag.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Dave, I know what you are saying. I was neither trying to argue nor ridicule anyone. I perhaps was venting my frustration that people seemingly fail to read a question (anyone live in Dothan or anyone familiar with the roads in and around Dothan) yet will reply even though there is no possibility of providing an answer. I was merely stating that I needed routing information from someone experienced in traversing that specific area. Google Maps will provide routes, but neither road conditions nor traffic congestion information. I appreciate any member who is legitimately attempting to provide helpful information. I just do not find posts that do not truly address the question at hand to be useful, I sometimes suspect that some responders are more interested in padding their post totals. And I did not "attack" anyone. I clarified what I was asking. And I would agree that there are many good people across the U.S. and Canada here, some provide good advice and some make statements that are based in misconceptions.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I do understand your frustration at not getting a simple and locally knowledgeable answer to a narrowly defined question. At other times I have found myself a bit annoyed when it is clear a poster hasn't bothered to read either the original post nor any of the previous replies.

However...

I truly believe there are few who deliberately post off-topic or generic replies just to increase their post count. I simply see a lot of folks who like to hang out and chat. Sometimes personal biases come into play, and replies fall into well-worn ruts, whatever the topic. But I have found this to be an easy-going forum with fairly relaxed posting standards. Personally, I enjoy it that way.

As to misconceptions, I am completely sure that no one here has ever posted a falsehood, knowing it to be false. On the other hand, I have unintentionally posted incorrect information, believing it to be true. I have humbly and gratefully received correction, both in public and in private. That's how we learn.

Let's keep the recreation in a recreational vehicle forum...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote