CA State Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
CA State Park

Camped last Friday at Burlington CA State Park which is between Eureka and Garberville. Whew!!!!!! $33.00/night. Almost a motel price. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
CA State Parks

The State of CA increased thier Park rates, big time. I camped at Beals Point SRA at Folsom Lake and paid $61 which included a $2 senior discount. Site was a full hook up (E, W & S), with no shade. Was a first time campout with our grandson, so we were required to keep him close to home in case he got scared. Most we've ever paid for camping.
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
One night at New Brighton State Beach $35 + $8 reservation fee = $43. To compare, on my trip to Alaska most private full hookup campgrounds I stayed at were $20-$30. California is expensive!
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
When I camp on the central coast at Morro Bay I stay at Morro Dunes RV park in a tent/small camper site with water and electric for 25.00 a night. The state park just down the beach with no hookups and no showers wants 35.00 a night. Our state parks used to be cheaper than private camps but not anymore.
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Our dear California Governor wants to add another $18.00 fee to the yearly vehicle registration in the name of helping the state parks.
I think the State Legislature should be removed from office as California still does not have a budget and we are bankrupt.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Our state parks used to be in the $4-$12 per night range for electric sites about 15 years ago. I just paid $63 for two nights at a state park here in Maryland. I used to camp there in my pop-up for $6 a night. All of our parks require reservations now, too. It's too bad... there must be a lot of families who cannot afford to camp at state parks, and that is just a shame. I wouldn't mind paying another $18 for vehicle registration if it actually brought down the cost of state park camping.

Pennsylvania is no fun, either... I can't use my kayak in state parks. I can only rent ones from them. State residents can have their kayaks registered and must display a registrations sticker.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Freedom Deluxe 1993
I just wanted to add that the half a dozen "premium" dry camping sites along the bluff at New Brighton State Park (Monterey Bay) are $50 a night and must be reserved through Reserve America 6 months in advance at 8:00 a.m. sharp or forget it. The neighboring park, Seacliff State Beach, which has full hook ups at sites along the beach front, is no easier to get a reservation. You really need two computers for this one (we've done it). The cost there is $65 per night. The California State Park motto must be "You Stay--You PAY!"
Joan and Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
I'm DONE with California State Parks !!!

After stopping by Patricks Point SP that was full at the time and asking if I could drive through and look it over for a future stay. The kid in the booth said that will be $8.

I said NO Thanks I won't be back !
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen G View Post
After stopping by Patricks Point SP that was full at the time and asking if I could drive through and look it over for a future stay. The kid in the booth said that will be $8.
I've been told by CA State Park officials that you can stop in a State Park for up to 15 (or was it 20?) minutes without paying a day use fee. When I've entered State Parks with a ranger at the entrance station I've been given a pass with the time written on it - which I return to the entrance station when I leave.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Come to S. Calif. we have some nice RV parks in the $25 range with hookups. San Diego county has several nice parks and alot of us go to Lake Casitas which is inland from Ventura,
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
People always ask why I go to Oregon so much.

1. Most of my family is from there and still have some lingering that I visit.

2. I'm not about to pay the rediculous prices here in CA.

3. Oregon's SP's are nicer, have hookups and cost an awful lot less.

Someone mentioned Seacliff SP near Santa Cruz, well get this. They only take self contained RV's "with" a black water dump, they don't even have sewer connections at the sites, so who cares about having a sewer valve. I said to them that I have a porta potty which is more self contained as my little holding tank could never ever leak into the environment. Besides they wanted between $50 and $60 per night. I saved lots $ and went to the Elks Club.

I've been boycotting CA's Sp's for quite awhile now. However, I did relent and go the Burney Falls campout in 2010.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
WOW!
Here in Louisiana, on new years (my first ever use of the Trillium) we paid $13 at Grand Bayou Reserve. E & W no sewer. Their most expensive sites are around $30.
BLM looks better and betterer to me.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen G View Post
I'm DONE with California State Parks !!!

I said NO Thanks I won't be back !
That happened to me in 1983 and I haven't been back.

However, having said that: the choice for a state is pay for parks from tax money and keep camping fees low, or let campers pay more of what it really costs to run the parks. Parks rarely have out of state fees, for example, even though residents are already paying for the parks. Which do we want to see? As campers, we want low fees. But as a non-camper, someone else doesn't want to pay for parks that they see as serving the elite few who can afford to use them, especially for those parks that are not near large population centers.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
California towns have a number of fairgrounds with camping that have historically been inexpensive.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
That happened to me in 1983 and I haven't been back.

However, having said that: the choice for a state is pay for parks from tax money and keep camping fees low, or let campers pay more of what it really costs to run the parks. Parks rarely have out of state fees, for example, even though residents are already paying for the parks. Which do we want to see? As campers, we want low fees. But as a non-camper, someone else doesn't want to pay for parks that they see as serving the elite few who can afford to use them, especially for those parks that are not near large population centers.
Our State Parks aren't just used by campers. You think now that they've raised the price they'll ever reduce it. Ha ha ha!!! Not likely.

Well, I'm not one of the elite few who uses them because I'm not going to pay any price, for that matter, because most of our SP's are dry camping, have no hook ups, you get a dirty dusty campsite and a dispursed water spigot. Our State Parks are, as far camping goes, a disgrace and have been for a long long time. I marvel at the nice SP's in other states.

Say there is a State Park here in California that I would use. Anza Borrego. You can camp for free out in the desert. I carry my own toilet, water and sink so all I'm missing from staying in "their" campground would be a shower. Pretty pricey shower $30 to $40. I got couple pots and can get just a clean in my little trailer as I would staying in their campground.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I'm transitioning from primitive camping to FG camper - camping. I have a Zodi Extreme. I haven't used it yet, but in the case of NO water around, I would fill it before getting out in the wild. I wouldn't have to use the drinking water then (with judicious use, it could last a couple of days).
Zodi-
enjoy hot water anytime anywhere with zodi on demand hot water and portable hot showers, over 40 camping comfort products
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hi

All this California camping talk makes me want to pass on this bit of info.

The web site called "Frugal RV" has just put out another book in her series of cheap/free camping locations. This one is called "California Boondocking: The Desert and Eastern Sierra"

One can purchase and download for it for under $20.

I have all 5 of her books (NM, AZ, Utah, and TX + Cal)
We have used them, enjoyed them AND saved lots of money to boot.

Great site just to read and be inspired ...especially on those winter nights when we are stuck at home and NOT traveling somewhere sunny and warm.

Check it out
Donna R

Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Actual cost per book is $17.........or maybe one night's camping fee!
Plus there are listings for hot springs , sani dumps and cool things to see.
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote