California? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Jennifer: I lived in Big Bear for many years. It's South of Ft Irwin (and about 6500 ft up). I knew many who were stationed at or worked at Ft Irwin. Most had good things to say, especially about the people on base. Once you get settled, there is a lot to see in the area, both desert and mountain. Winter snow activities just 2 hours away! The fellow that ran the stables at Ft. Irwin was a great guy with lots of great stories-don't know if he is still there though. Go with an open mind and enjoy.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #16

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jen, Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that Ghost town was a place to permanently live.

I was attempting to counter the attitude of 'Barstow ugliness'. Virtually everywhere we go we find something interesting. I'm sure Barstow has a place to stay that will meet your needs.

I'm certain you'll find a satisfactory location. I fully agree with your comments in post #9 of this thread. Definitely wishing you well and thank you for your service.
Thanks, this is an aweseome group, everyone, thank you.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
My apologies for not understanding that you were on active duty. Your failure to mention that in your earlier posts suggested that you were a civilian employee, that your employer had transferred you to Ft Erwin, and that you may have had some choice in the matter.

That said, considering the area, which I know reasonably well, I still think that your housing choice is not a good idea, regardless of your situation.

And no, I had never had a bad experience at Ft Irwin, but it is what it is, and I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your service.

Bob Miller
USN 1961-64
Roger that Bob! Makes total sense. Thank you yourself for your service.

I hope my wording wasn't written badly. I appreciate this community and figured you might have been good naturedly ribbing but, since this is my new duty station I want to find the best in it. No doubt the heat will be a major factor as I've only encountered such heat one time before.

Jen
edit: although my primary living area will be the post RV park, (updated after speaking with them.)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
Jennifer: I lived in Big Bear for many years. It's South of Ft Irwin (and about 6500 ft up). I knew many who were stationed at or worked at Ft Irwin. Most had good things to say, especially about the people on base. Once you get settled, there is a lot to see in the area, both desert and mountain. Winter snow activities just 2 hours away! The fellow that ran the stables at Ft. Irwin was a great guy with lots of great stories-don't know if he is still there though. Go with an open mind and enjoy.
Thank you Dennis,

Everyone too. I think the post rv park is near the stables, so I will go.

Jen