California? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
California?

Hi,
I'm currently in Clarksville, but just found out yesterday that my job is moving me to Ft. Irwin, California. They have an RV park on post but I'm not sure if it is long term. I see there are also two other RV parks, (one on a national park,) nearer to Barstow. Called Owl Canyon but, I don't know if they allow long term. I'm planning to full time.

Any ideas are helpful.
Jen
p.s. I'm looking to buy an older refurbished trailer and now I know some places care if your RV is over ten years old...
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
OMG: Full timing in an FGRV anywhere near Ft Irwin may take 1st place for the bad luck draw of the day. Don't shoot the messenger, but Ft. Irwin and Barstow, CA isn't anything like the rest of the Golden State. It HOT, COLD, WINDY and DESOLATE, all at the same time.

Owl Canyon is a BLM property, and most have 30 day limits, but may welcome long term stays in the off seasons. But full timing in a desert park would be difficult and could be a little dangerous. These pics of Owl Canyon are 100% typical of the Barstow area scenery.
Photos for Owl Canyon Campground | Yelp

However, Mobile Home parks in the Barstow area are likely to be heavily populated by military families and long term stays or age restrictions on trailers shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
OMG: Full timing in an FGRV anywhere near Ft Irwin may take 1st place for the bad luck draw of the day. Don't shoot the messenger, but Ft. Irwin and Barstow, CA isn't anything like the rest of the Golden State. It HOT, COLD, WINDY and DESOLATE, all at the same time.

Owl Canyon is a BLM property, and most have 30 day limits, but may welcome long term stays in the off seasons. But full timing in a desert park would be difficult and could be a little dangerous. These pics of Owl Canyon are 100% typical of the Barstow area scenery.
Photos for Owl Canyon Campground | Yelp

However, Mobile Home parks in the Barstow area are likely to be heavily populated by military families and long term stays or age restrictions on trailers shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck
Not shooting the messenger, I've heard people talk horribly about this duty station for years. However I've also heard them rave wonderfully about duty stations that I would not recommend either.

I'm looking forward to it but, not necessarily to Barstow or mobile home Parks in a place that is heavily populated. Maybe I could stay at the post RV park for a certain amount of time, then turnaroud to Owl Canyon, or the reverse for longer term.

Only thing is that I'd prefer to long term somewhere with electric, for a fan or portable ac!
Jen
p.s. and mobile home parks don't generally have bathhouses like an RV park might.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

California
I just found out they have a 14 day limit with a 21 day turnaround before you can return. Maybe I can get lucky and the post RV park with have a 21 day limit with a 14 day turnaround!!

Jen

edit: okay, better than that, the post has a 30 day limit and if there is no waitlist I'm able to renew it, If there is a waitlist they have a place to send me, (then again, there is also the Owl canyon, depending on the season.) Sounds like a plan, (both said my cat is okay.) Owl Canyon does not have water right now and the post park has non potable water but, electricity. It is worth a try to see how it works.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

I believe that the city motto of Barstow is, "Come for a day, it will feel like a Week" or " Spend a Week Here in Just One Day" or something like that. I have to go to or through Barstow 5-6 times a year.

It's a watering hole on the way to Vegas, and there are some outlet shopping centers to the south.

As Dorothy might have said: Gee Toto, this doesn't look at all like Kansas.

From the FGRV side of things: Earlier this year there were several Castita's offered for auction by the Ft Irwin recreation services division. Unfortunately the conditions were very poor and I didn't see that it was worth the effort to drive up there to inspect before bidding.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Barstow.

One thing I've learned in our extensive, slow travels is everywhere has something interesting. One of the best parts of our travels is going to places where people are not like us. If I were looking for 'Kansas' Dorothy, I'd stay home.

Whenever we're over that way we stay at Calico Ghost Town RV Park, kind of a hokey county park. Camping includes admission to the Ghost town. We usually pop over to the nearby Peggy Sue's diner.

We're big at the 'drive about', just wandering about looking. Few people would stop at Welcome Station, NV. The owner there gave us something interesting to find and learn from every day for two weeks, one of our best stays, a small friendly Passport park, a campground fire every night, often with dessert.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #7

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Calico Ghost Town is a popular family destination venue and is also a popular regional park, and Peggy Sues Diner is a fun 50's restaurant, often with live music. But that's about it for Barstow. (Actually both are in Yermo).

But, working there and living there full time in a small FGRV, is something I wouldn't even wish on my (now annulled) ex-wife, ..... well wait... maybe.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Calico Ghost Town is a popular family destination venue and is also a popular regional park, and Peggy Sues Diner is a fun 50's restaurant, often with live music. But that's about it for Barstow. (Actually both are in Yermo).

But, working there and living there full time in a small FGRV, is something I wouldn't even wish on my (now annulled) ex-wife, ..... well wait... maybe.
Hi,

When I checked the rates of Ghost town it would cost 1200. a month, (and I'd still have a long commute to work.)

Jen
Old 11-04-2015, 05:11 AM   #9

California
Quote:

Bob,

You do realize I am active duty and these are my orders and my life for the next three years.

Your posts about this have been dismal and negative.

If you had a bad experience at FT Irwin, then I am sorry for you and glad you survived it. I'd like to do more than survive it and actually am looking forward to it.

I requested this.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,

When I checked the rates of Ghost town it would cost 1200. a month, (and I'd still have a long commute to work.)

Jen
Jen, Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that Ghost town was a place to permanently live.

I was attempting to counter the attitude of 'Barstow ugliness'. Virtually everywhere we go we find something interesting. I'm sure Barstow has a place to stay that will meet your needs.

I'm certain you'll find a satisfactory location. I fully agree with your comments in post #9 of this thread. Definitely wishing you well and thank you for your service.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #11

My apologies for not understanding that you were on active duty. Your failure to mention that in your earlier posts suggested that you were a civilian employee, that your employer had transferred you to Ft Erwin, and that you may have had some choice in the matter.

That said, considering the area, which I know reasonably well, I still think that your housing choice is not a good idea, regardless of your situation.

And no, I had never had a bad experience at Ft Irwin, but it is what it is, and I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your service.

Bob Miller
USN 1961-64

Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Michigan
Hooah!

Congratulations on getting the assignment you chose Jen, and thank you for your service. I was lucky enough to be assigned to the National Training Center (NTC) at Ft Irwin in '05. I was an Observer Controller training units headed for Iraq. It was one of my favorite assignments in the 40 years I wore the uniform. I loved the Mojave Desert. It was an experience I'll never forget.

We had an open Hummer, no doors, no roof, no windows, and slept in the back wherever we ended up each night. In the winter coyotes would sneak up in the cab looking for food, and in the summer kangaroo mice would jump in looking for the same. All our cooking was done over an open fire.

I agree with Norm. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you go with a good attitude, and an open mind; you will love the desert. It is an experience like no other. It's as different as night and day from Ft Campbell. If you find the need for sensory overload; Vegas is about 2 hrs east of there.

Campers and RV's weren't on my radar back then, so I didn't look for places to stay. Sorry I can't help you there. I just wanted to reassure you about your duty assignment. Good choice! I'm so jealous....

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thank you for serving you will find somrthing i know good luck let us know please
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am a bit of a maverick by nature, so it occurs to me that there seems to be quite a bit of unoccupied land there. Why not find a large bush, or rock to conceal your camper, and stay there? If you need to get a generator to run your AC, then there will be no one to complain.

Just thinking out loud, (in type?).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Jennifer: I lived in Big Bear for many years. It's South of Ft Irwin (and about 6500 ft up). I knew many who were stationed at or worked at Ft Irwin. Most had good things to say, especially about the people on base. Once you get settled, there is a lot to see in the area, both desert and mountain. Winter snow activities just 2 hours away! The fellow that ran the stables at Ft. Irwin was a great guy with lots of great stories-don't know if he is still there though. Go with an open mind and enjoy.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jen, Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that Ghost town was a place to permanently live.

I was attempting to counter the attitude of 'Barstow ugliness'. Virtually everywhere we go we find something interesting. I'm sure Barstow has a place to stay that will meet your needs.

I'm certain you'll find a satisfactory location. I fully agree with your comments in post #9 of this thread. Definitely wishing you well and thank you for your service.
Thanks, this is an aweseome group, everyone, thank you.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

California
Quote:
My apologies for not understanding that you were on active duty. Your failure to mention that in your earlier posts suggested that you were a civilian employee, that your employer had transferred you to Ft Erwin, and that you may have had some choice in the matter.

That said, considering the area, which I know reasonably well, I still think that your housing choice is not a good idea, regardless of your situation.

And no, I had never had a bad experience at Ft Irwin, but it is what it is, and I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your service.

Bob Miller
USN 1961-64
Roger that Bob! Makes total sense. Thank you yourself for your service.

I hope my wording wasn't written badly. I appreciate this community and figured you might have been good naturedly ribbing but, since this is my new duty station I want to find the best in it. No doubt the heat will be a major factor as I've only encountered such heat one time before.

Jen
edit: although my primary living area will be the post RV park, (updated after speaking with them.)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
Jennifer: I lived in Big Bear for many years. It's South of Ft Irwin (and about 6500 ft up). I knew many who were stationed at or worked at Ft Irwin. Most had good things to say, especially about the people on base. Once you get settled, there is a lot to see in the area, both desert and mountain. Winter snow activities just 2 hours away! The fellow that ran the stables at Ft. Irwin was a great guy with lots of great stories-don't know if he is still there though. Go with an open mind and enjoy.
Thank you Dennis,

Everyone too. I think the post rv park is near the stables, so I will go.

Jen