CAMP WAL-MART: Coast to Coast - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think somebody pointed out earlier in this thread that most of the anti-overnights-in Wal-Mart-Lots campaigns are begun by local RV "Camps" that want to be the only place in town to overnight.
For their profit, and at their price.
"The Homeless peeing in the bushes" is one of the usual "problems" they cite when trying to get their local municipalities to pass these ordinances.
This hospitality and the return business it earns for Wal-Mart are important corporate assets that are unlikely to be abandoned anytime soon.
That having been said, I'll once again encourage all of those out there who appreciate this resource to say so.
Please take a minute to send a thankyou note to your NO-CHARGE host, Wal-Mart

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #42

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
My wife and I rode to Indiana for a bike event and stopped at a WM for some snacks and muffins for breakfast. This was a 24hr store and had a off duty armed police officer sitting at the front door (it was quite late at night) we asked him for dirrections to the campground we were booked into and he advised us not to stay there as it had basically become over run with tweakers crackheads and vegrants because it was old and in an urban area and we would be better off staying there. I informed him we were on a motorcycle and were tenting it he said to set up on a grass island and he would make sure noone bothered us. I'm so glad that he encouraged us to stay when we checked out the campground we discovered that he was not exagerating at all and it more resembled a shanty town. Now i'm ex military, and served overseas and it takes quite a bit to put me off but this place certainly did.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #43

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
Very handy camp

We were on a trip that my poor wife really needed. After 4+ years of college while working 50 hours a week, she was not to be deprived. Just a couple of days into the trip, the tug started to be a real problem. We were just north of Sacramento so she said "turn around, we are going to go buy a dependable vehicle!" Wal-Mart was just the ticket while we waited for the new truck to be fitted with a hitch. Our only complaint was with the monsterbaggos that felt it was necessary to run their generators late into the night. Big RV'ers can be such jerks
Jeff Johannsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #44

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
On this trip from Hattiesburg, MS to Alaska, we have spent six nights in four different Wal-marts---Lethbridge and Edmonton, AB as well as Whithorse. YT and Frairbanks, AK. We had no problems at any of these and there were between 20-50 rvs at each of these.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #45

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Walmart Stores Reduce Gas Prices By 10 Cents - Local News - Winston-Salem, NC - msnbc.com

Also Walmart is reducing price of gas 10 cents during next 3 months. Just go inside and buy the card for whatever amount you need.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #46

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
A lot of Walmarts in California have a "No Overnight Parking" policy, so ask before you settle in. I have run into security guards that when asked said "No Overnight Camping" in Barstow and Palm Springs, and I know the local one in Oxnard has signs posted all over the place regarding the "No Camping" policy.
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni M T View Post
A lot of Walmarts in California have a "No Overnight Parking" policy, so ask before you settle in. I have run into security guards that when asked said "No Overnight Camping" in Barstow and Palm Springs, and I know the local one in Oxnard has signs posted all over the place regarding the "No Camping" policy.
Is that WalMart policy or local ordinance? I have never seen Walmart refuse overnight parking except when forced by local ordinance.
Our "policy" is to deny our business to the communities and to the campgrounds in communities who have such ordinances, not even fast food or fuel.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #48

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, All

Just thought I should report in to say that the Walmart in Wenatchee, Washington is undergoing a big remodel- access to the little "park" in the northeast corner of the lot is cut off by construction equipment!
The nerve of some people...as if Walmart had a business to run
Parking of all kinds is much reduced, but I got there just as the store was closing and found a little out-of-the-way spot.
Nice and flat, too. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01884.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	38187
Don't expect to sleep late if you overnight here during this project- the hardhats start working as soon as the sun comes up!
I can also report that the NEW Walmart in Pullman, Washington has a lovely view of the University Campus from the north edge of the lot.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #49

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, All

Just thought I should report in to say that the Walmart in Wenatchee, Washington is undergoing a big remodel- access to the little "park" in the northeast corner of the lot is cut off by construction equipment!
The nerve of some people...as if Walmart had a business to run
Parking of all kinds is much reduced, but I got there just as the store was closing and found a little out-of-the-way spot.
Nice and flat, too. Attachment 38187
Don't expect to sleep late if you overnight here during this project- the hardhats start working as soon as the sun comes up!
I can also report that the NEW Walmart in Pullman, Washington has a lovely view of the University Campus from the north edge of the lot.

Francesca
When staying is a WalMart parking lot I usually try to find one that's a "super store" and open 24 hours. Two reasons, access to their rest rooms in the middle of the night, and there's usually a guard around. The middle of the night is a quiet time to do a little shopping too.

I'm also with Floyd. Just go on by those places that don't like us.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #50

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
Here is an online list of the Walmart stores that don't allow overnight camping. No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Atlas

I don't know why the ones in Oxnard, Barstow and Palm Springs discourage it (as I don't know the ordinances), but judging from their full parking lots (even at 9 PM) I am under the impression that they are getting plenty of business even without catering to the RV crowd.....
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #51

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It was tough finding a campsite on a July Saturday evening near Ft. Collins, CO. I stopped at the WM Supercenter and bought a few things, and I thought about staying there. But after listening to the road noise for about 10 minutes, I gave up on the idea. I would never have gotten to sleep, I'm afraid. So I wound up locating a $35 electric-only site at a KOA. Not perfectly quiet, but much better. Oh well.

It made me long for the spot I'd had two nights previous, in North Dakota, right on the shore of Bowman-Haley Lake. No charge if not taking an electric site (or $12 with electric). Water spigot and dump station, totally quiet and peaceful.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #52

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike, What was the name of the site in ND?

Thanks Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #53

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni M T View Post
Here is an online list of the Walmart stores that don't allow overnight camping. No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Atlas

I don't know why the ones in Oxnard, Barstow and Palm Springs discourage it (as I don't know the ordinances), but judging from their full parking lots (even at 9 PM) I am under the impression that they are getting plenty of business even without catering to the RV crowd.....
Crescent City in Del Norte County, California also does NOT allow overnight camping. I have noticed the signs for at least four years. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #54

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
If no Wal-Mart is available, I've taken to stop at large truck stops. Yes, sometimes it can be noisy, I normally park on the side opposite of the big rigs. In the morning I can usually get breakfast,/coffee, plus, they have showers anywhere from $5-10 or just wash up in the restroom. Works for me as a place to sleep on long drives from point A to B without spending lots of $$.
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #55

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Camp Walmart on Cape Cod...
I just returned from visiting a friend in Cape Cod after hiking in the White Mountain's of NH. My friend had made arrangements for me to park in their friend's yard but I arrived a day early. I stopped at the Walmart in Falmouth, MA and asked for and received permission to stay. I was directed to the recommended parking area. A few other RV's arrived as well. As a side benefit, I had been working on a mod to extend the rear bed from the end of the dinette making it a 'queen' bed. I had made the frame but couldn't find the right size pad to match the thickness of the current foam pads. As luck would have it the Walmart there had a doggy bed that was the perfect size and thickness. I also purchased a comforter and food so I hope the store benefitted as much as I did.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #56

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So Barrie,
I guess you are in the "doghouse" ......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #57

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So Barrie,
I guess you are in the "doghouse" ......
LOL... yes, I guess so. Of course, now it's a 'custom' cushion...
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #58

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We never deploy awnings, outriggers, lawnchairs or other trappings which imply "Camping" [we have no slideouts.]
We park in a reasonably level, inobtrusive spot, near other campers ...and get on our way, leaving the place as we found it without ever having been noticed.
Floyd has nailed the proper etiquette for parking (please, it's not camping) at Walmart or similar host. I might add do not unhitch unless it's specifically allowed. If you don't unhitch you probably don't need stabilizers or levelers. And, with our small rigs, no more than two parking spaces. Be as unobtrusive as possible; make it look like you just pulled in to shop.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #59

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I've noticed that the only WalMarts where the overnight camping isn't allowed are locations that are close to commercial campgrounds where those owners either complained of unfair competition (hard to beat free) or filed suit.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlas, free camping, overnight, stopover, wal-mart