CAMP WAL-MART: Coast to Coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
CAMP WAL-MART: Coast to Coast

How many of us have taken advantage of Wal- Mart's generous though unpublished policy of permitting RV's to overnight in its parking lots? This is an invaluable resource for anyone who needs to overnight unexpectedly, or even as part of a travel itinerary. Wal-mart has very nearly realized its goal of having a store within 40 miles of every American. This may not sit well with some folks, but for those of us who need a place to park for a spell, it's an oasis. With security!
You tell your "Camp Wal- Mart' stories, and I'll tell mine!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #2

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
This is really allowed?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Yes it is allowed, most but not at all stores. I think it depends on local laws and maybe local crime. Ask at the store greeter.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
This is really allowed?
Not only is it allowed at most locations, Wal- Mart sells a U.S. road atlas that indicates the location of every one of its stores.
I haven't encountered any stores in Washington/Oregon that don't allow it, not that I've "camped" at them all. I do pay attention when I'm out and about, though. You can tell by looking in the parking lot- if you see R.V.'s parked near the edges of the lots, you've hit pay dirt.
They all have 24 hr. security, too. You mostly won't encounter any other amenities, but if all you need is a flat, safe place to overnight (and maybe pick up supplies) this beats the heck out of a highway rest stop.
I've done this enough that I have a list of "favorites"- the store in Wenatchee, for example, has a really fabulous view of the Columbia River at one side of the lot, and a little grassy "park" complete with picnic tables at another. I actually spent two nights at this store last year,waiting for a repair shop to open so I could get a stabilizer jack cut off. It had fallen down in transit, caught on the pavement, and gotten twisted. That time I even unhitched so I could tour around town while I waited. No problem with the store!
Those two unscheduled nights would have cost me $50.00 at nearby Wenatchee Confluence State Park, and I wouldn't have had such a nice view. What could be better?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Don't miss the Wal Mart in Anthem Az on I-17 (about 20 miles north of Phoenix) Beautiful view from there.... I actually have a home in Anthem but see all the RV's parked there all the time...... great place for a short Stayover in the Phoenix Area.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Yahoo has a group called Walmartrving. They have lots of information on this subject. You will have to join the group to gain access.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Yahoo has a group called Walmartrving. They have lots of information on this subject. You will have to join the group to gain access.
Eddie
...And for those among us feeling the pinch of the Economic Downturn there's .......LIVING AT WAL-MART!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We were amazed that over 50 RVs and 18-wheel trucks were parked at the Wal-Mart in Deming, NM when we were there last march.

Later I learned it is a staging area for folks visiting the dentists south of the Mexico border.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I have stayed at CampWalmart back when Dh and vacationed and our RV travels were to get off work and head for our destination. We pulled in when our tired minds couldn't concentrate on driving another mile. And I totally appreciated a safe place to get off the road.

VACATIONING at CampWalmart is ridiculous! It's a wonderful service that Walmart allows but the people who take advantage of it are just freeloaders...............

They started allowing the "overnight" rv parking to keep sleepy eyed rv'ers off the roads but there is always someone who will take advantage! It was intended to allow rv'ers to get a few hours of shut eye before going on their merry way. But the rv'ers who set up there camp chairs, grill, etc are taking advantage of the situation. Many of the freeloaders say the stay at CampWalmart because it saves them money. Frankly there isn't a time that we stayed there that I didn't spend far more in the store than the cost of a campsite would have been. Exactly what Walmart was hoping for.........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Walmart wants happy customers, and what better way than to let RVers come in, shop a bit, stay the night, and maybe shop some more in the morning (when they run out of juice or remember the items they forgot to get earlier). It's a great strategy. Robin, I know what you mean about spending... I've gone in and found stuff I didn't know (till right then) I couldn't live without!

But they certainly don't want folks staying for extended periods, grilling outdoors, putting out the awning, or any of that. It's a place to sleep, not a true campsite. If we RVers don't abuse the privilege, we may be able to enjoy their hospitality for many years to come.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #11

Registry
I hope nobody got an impression that I was suggesting Wal- Mart as anything but a layover spot!
But you reminded me that the very first time I noticed an RV "camped" in a Wal-Mart lot was in 2005, in Woodburn, Oregon. The only reason it caught my eye was because these folks not only had lawn chairs and the awning out, they actually had two HUGE potted plants on either side of their "veranda"! Presumably they bought them in the nursery department...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We have enjoyed safe 'end of the day' parking overnight at many WalMarts as we've traveled. When you ask the CSM (Customer Service Mgr) if it's OK for customers to rest in their lot, the only time you'll get a negative answer is if local ordinances say no. And yes, we always spend as much or more on supplies as we would for an RV space, but that is stuff we needed anyway (refer to Gina's "not what you save, it's what you don't spend" or words to that effect).

Our favorite WM story: We were to visit friends in Anaheim Hills, CA - a pretty upscale neighborhood. Planned to get a space in a nearby County park, but that was the year of all the RAIN in SoCal and the campground was flooded out - Oh-oh. Late at night after white-knuckling it thru LA traffic - what now? Found a close WalMart in a beautiful shopping center and parked our Scamp13 in an inconspicuous place - no awning, mat, chairs (or slides ) Before I'd even turned off the engine, DH spotted the flashing light on the Security vehicle headed our way - oh-oh.

The woman guard pulled up beside us and we thought "we're gonna get booted outta here". She jumped out of her truck, knocked on the window and said "Can I see inside your trailer? I never saw anything as cute as that!) No problem - free tours every day! We asked about parking overnight - she said RVers could stay (discreetly) up to THREE nights - just don't unhook in the case of TT's or 5ers. Worked out great. Thank you, Sam Walton! Safe & happy travels - L 'n D
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
walmart camping

We have stayed at many Walmarts over the years-have never been turned away. We always ask first-unless we see rvs already there.

Have seen people put out rugs and chairs-but we were told Walmart doesn`t want that-they just want it to be a place to spend the night and then move on, and I can understand that.

We do stay at an rv park every other day to shower and do laundry, but staying at the Walmart does save us money and if we are tired and can`t find a place to camp-we use Walmart. We then buy our supplies there.

Can`t wait till the weather clears so we can get our camper out of storage. It is on the back 40 of our daughter`s farmette and the ground is too wet now. May walk out there and just camp there for now!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #14

Registry
Ann B. sent this along, but it didn't post-
Check out all the fiberglass rigs at the Northbay (state?) Wal-Mart.
Now that's what I call a RALLY!
Northbay Walmart | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Ordinances prohibit camping at a Walmart in our county, as in others. The Walmart atlas/list will be of help if you're looking for an urban overnight spot.

We've stayed at a few, on long trips, as it's a very easy way to get a few hours sleep. The lot is (usually) level, and all spaces available are "pull thrus". Coffee and danish are available in the am at all the 24 hour superstores; as well as rotisserie chicken at most at night.

Camping? No, not by a longshot. Easy rest stop. Most times, yes. Sometimes noisy, as they're located either close to the interstate, or urban areas, or both. Duh. Location is part of Marketing.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I have not spent a night at a WalMart as of yet but can see us doing it in the future depending on our travel needs. I suspect if it did not benefit WalMart in some way they would not let it happen. It appears to be a nice perk that can be a win-win situation.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Now if all those Northbay Walmart campers shopped at that Walmart while there I think that Walmart would be smiling. It looks like a fun time. I wonder if that store was open for business? It looks like the parking lot was full of Campers.
Thanks to Wal mart for thinking of us as we travel down the highways and need a place to rest for a few hours and feel safe doing so.
Thank you Wal Mart!
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #18

Registry
ATTENTION WAL- MART "CAMPERS":

I just sat down and fired off a thankyou E-mail to Wal-Mart corporate headquarters, and I'm hoping some of you might do the same at Walmartstores.com: Feedback
(I routed mine to "community and giving")
This is why:
Didn't someone once say that "No good deed will go unpunished"?
I just came across this link to a story about a couple who is SUING Wal- Mart over an incident that happened while they were taking advantage of the store's hospitable layover policy.
Please note that NEITHER OF THE PLAINTIFFS WAS INJURED.
RV Owners Sue Wal-Mart Over ‘06 Shooting | RV Business
I suppose these "victims" are suing over the "mental anguish" they suffered after they blew away the guy at the door.
A few lawn chairs probably won't persuade Wal- Mart to abandon its generous policy, but more of this kind of greed and absurdity will.
So please, if you appreciate the RE-E-E-ALLY GOOD SAM (Walton) CLUB stopover privilege, let the company know.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have overnighted many times at Wal-Marts:
The neatest with a vista has to be the one in Cody, WY! Yes, we spent over $60, but we were needing some things.

Cody Wal-Mart
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We ended up staying at a WalMart our very first night in our Scamp. Our plans were to make it to a state park, but we blew a tire and lost time finding a new spare, and ended up stopping at WalMart since it was too late to get to the state park. We checked with the manager, were able to use our factory heater (propane) and went on our way in the morning after filling up on a few supplies.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlas, free camping, overnight, stopover, wal-mart