Campgrounds around DC and Lake Placid NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Debra
Trailer: Casita 2019
FL
Campgrounds around DC and Lake Placid NY

Hi All,

I am just starting to plan a late summer/early fall trip from Florida up north as far as Lake Placid NY. I have not outlined a route yet, and due to getting some home repairs completed, am not sure about the departure date. But, I am ready to do some research and planning --- am especially concerned about getting campgrounds during Fall peak seasons. I will probably take a coastal route one way and a more inland route the other.

I do know for sure I will visit Washington DC and would like to camp as close to the city as possible, or can put the Casita (17 Ft.) at a less expensive campground outside the city and go stay with friends. Any advice about campgrounds that I could use as a home base or alternatively just a place to keep the Casita?

I also know I will go to the Lake Placid area. Ideas for the same there? Either a cheap place to store it or a more scenic place where I can stay.

On the way up or back I know I will stop in the Atlanta area but stay in the Casita, and also stop around Charleston and Savannah.

Thanks for you help and advice. I am planning a 1.5 to 2 month trip so any other spots, places or routes you suggest will be of interest. It will be my first major trip solo and if all goes well, my next will be out West in the Spring.

Appreciate you ideas now and I will be back when I have my route and time frames sorted more precisely.
Debbie in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Take a look at Fish Creek Pond campground in the Adirondacks. It is near Saranac Lake and a short drive from Lake Placid. Every camp site is on the water. There are no hook-ups, though. It's very serene and quite popular.

I use allstays.com when planning long distance trips. It's free.

https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
I agree re Fish Creek Ponds. It's lovely. Only drawback is showers are a good distance away from most campsites. But they are nice! Meadowbrook Campground is closer to Lake Placid and also has no hookups. It's nice, but doesn't have the views, and some of the facilities are a bit "rustic."
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Look up the Greenbelt Park Campground in Maryland, just outside DC. It's very convenient to DC and reasonably priced. It's where I stay whenever I visit DC.

Walt
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Look up the Greenbelt Park Campground in Maryland, just outside DC. It's very convenient to DC and reasonably priced. It's where I stay whenever I visit DC.

Walt
2X. They take reservations...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Years ago and I mean years as a kid our family camping trip was to Adirondack mtn and we always stayed at a camp ground called Brown tract ( I think that was the name)
Great memories and at night we would all load into the car and drive to a dump to watch the bears
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote