Campgrounds around Scranton PA? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Campgrounds around Scranton PA?

I need to find a campground near Scranton for this coming Saturday night. I would like it to have full hook-ups. I'll be coming up I-81, hope to camp overnight, and then get on I-84 Sunday and head for home!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
there's a KOA about 10 miles off 84 just into NY, or farther south and a little north of Harrisburg near 81 are two KOA's one about 5 miles off, the other right next to 81. According to their book. How are you getting to 81, we took it down to 64 in VA then over to 29 south. We haven't stayed at any of these campgrounds.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
there's a KOA about 10 miles off 84 just into NY, or farther south and a little north of Harrisburg near 81 are two KOA's one about 5 miles off, the other right next to 81. According to their book. How are you getting to 81, we took it down to 64 in VA then over to 29 south. We haven't stayed at any of these campgrounds.
I really would like to find one closer to Scranton folks, but thanks. Harrisburg isn't close enough to home, and camping in NY that night is!

We're coming up from NC, bringing the ParkLiner home after some major work at the plant in Gibsonville this week. Friday night we'll be at the North 340 campground near Waynesboro VA, then take 64 over to I-81 Saturday. Unlike you folks, we have to be back to work Monday!

I hope you two are having fun.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do you have any campground books. If you are a AAA member they are free but limit 3, last I knew anyway. They are regional books.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Frank, don't limit yourself to KOA's...they are over rated in most cases. Get an App called RVPARKY. it will give you all campgrounds in an area you are interested in. You can filter it for just campgrounds, state parks, WalMarts, etc. Your choice. BTW, the app is free.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Do you have any campground books. If you are a AAA member they are free but limit 3, last I knew anyway. They are regional books.
I have a Campers World guide at home we were given, big thing, but you have to know the name of the town. Makes it pretty much useless.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Frank, don't limit yourself to KOA's...they are over rated in most cases. Get an App called RVPARKY. it will give you all campgrounds in an area you are interested in. You can filter it for just campgrounds, state parks, WalMarts, etc. Your choice. BTW, the app is free.
Thanks Alice! I am downloading it now.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

New York
I can't download RVPARKY without my itunes password, which I have at home, so will do this in a couple hours. Thanks!

This tech stuff drives me nuts...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I can't download RVPARKY without my itunes password, which I have at home, so will do this in a couple hours. Thanks!

This tech stuff drives me nuts...

Frank
My phone is an Android. I leave all the filters off so I don't limit the potential. Some of the RV places are rated also. It will check by your GPS location or you can specify a certain city, like Scranton. It was very useful in also finding WalMarts/truck stops for just overnight sleeping during my trip. I could go into a truck stop and get a shower, cup of coffee and get back on the road. They are very clean, supply towels and soap and only $10-12. Less can a campground when just sleeping overnight.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
My phone is an Android. I leave all the filters off so I don't limit the potential. Some of the RV places are rated also. It will check by your GPS location or you can specify a certain city, like Scranton. It was very useful in also finding WalMarts/truck stops for just overnight sleeping during my trip. I could go into a truck stop and get a shower, cup of coffee and get back on the road. They are very clean, supply towels and soap and only $10-12. Less can a campground when just sleeping overnight.
I was in a truck stop 10 miles from our house Alice, and behind a trucker who got clean towels for a shower for 6 bucks. Just got home, have my password and will download that app. Thanks again!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #11

New York
Quote:
Got a single night full service campground right near where I wanted it thanks to that app Alice. Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Got a single night full service campground right near where I wanted it thanks to that app Alice. Thanks!

Frank
Really happy it worked out for you. If you go on long trips, with no scheduled stops, RVParky is great. The directions feature is good when your in unfamiliar territory after dark. I used that app the most on my trip. Another one was UrbanSpoon. Lists restaurants in the area you are in with directions. Ain't technology great?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Really happy it worked out for you. If you go on long trips, with no scheduled stops, RVParky is great. The directions feature is good when your in unfamiliar territory after dark. I used that app the most on my trip. Another one was UrbanSpoon. Lists restaurants in the area you are in with directions. Ain't technology great?
I could have used Urban Spoon last weekend Alice. Boy, it's hard to find a decent place to eat anymore!

Thanks again!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Alice, I loaded the RVPARKY App and want to thank you! That is about the best App I've found to date for locating camps. We're noobs at this and knowing where the campgrounds are when planning a trip, was one huge gaping hole in our game plan. I've found other apps that help, but nowhere near as good as that one. You da' bomb!

Sorry Frank, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but just couldn't let this go without thanking her. Good luck on your trip back.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Alice, I loaded the RVPARKY App and want to thank you! That is about the best App I've found to date for locating camps. We're noobs at this and knowing where the campgrounds are when planning a trip, was one huge gaping hole in our game plan. I've found other apps that help, but nowhere near as good as that one. You da' bomb!

Sorry Frank, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but just couldn't let this go without thanking her. Good luck on your trip back.

Tom
That wasn't a hijack Tom, it was a friendly boarding!

I need good luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #16

Utah
Registry
TomK and frank_a....I created a folder on my phone called TRAVEL. In it are all the apps I used when traveling x-country. Here's a list (they were all FREE). GasBuddy, Good Sam Camping, Big Truck Stops, iExit, Love's Connect, MapQuest, Maps, myPilot, Packing Lite List, RVParky, Scout, TripIt, TruckSmart, UrbanSpoon.

Some may not be all that great, but a couple were. Made life on the road easier. Glad you found them useful and enjoy them.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #17

New York
Quote:
TomK and frank_a....I created a folder on my phone called TRAVEL. In it are all the apps I used when traveling x-country. Here's a list (they were all FREE). GasBuddy, Good Sam Camping, Big Truck Stops, iExit, Love's Connect, MapQuest, Maps, myPilot, Packing Lite List, RVParky, Scout, TripIt, TruckSmart, UrbanSpoon.

Some may not be all that great, but a couple were. Made life on the road easier. Glad you found them useful and enjoy them.
Wow! I'm not much on apps Alice, but these are great! Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Thanks Alice just downloaded the app and on first glance looks great! Even shows Walmarts.

Frank hope your trip back goes well and PL has done well what you wanted on 006.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Thanks Alice just downloaded the app and on first glance looks great! Even shows Walmarts.

Frank hope your trip back goes well and PL has done well what you wanted on 006.

Adrian
Yes Adrian, RVPARKY is very cool. Man o man, the things one learns on a daily basis!

Thanks for the well wishes. I need them! 006 is a long ways away, and I worry about her. I trust ParkLiner is doing what is needed, but will know better Friday afternoon.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006