campgrounds in/around Yellowstone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Wife is talking about taking a few of the grandkids on a camp trip out West and talking about Yellowstone, Tetons, Badlands, etc. Been a long time ago but we were there before and did some tent camping. Any body have personal experience in these areas and like to recommend any campgrounds, I would appreciate it. I've got a few months before they get out of school so I'll start researching.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We went to Yellow Stone a couple of years ago. We stayed at Norris campground, inside the park. In the middle of the week in late August it was pretty quiet. By Friday it was getting pretty crazy and we left. From what we saw, almost any of the campground inside would do if don't mind boondocking. I don't know about RV spots. We didn't have an RV then, but the tent worked pretty good.

As for the Grand Tetons we came out of Yellow Stone and through the Tetons. Pretty place to see, but we didn't really stop there.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
There is a nice campground at the north entrance to Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs which has water and restrooms - no hook-ups. It is first come, first serve. It is the only campground open year round, and was pretty empty when I was there over Christmas a couple of years ago.

If you want hook-ups and reservations, there is a nice place right outside the park in Gardiner
Rocky Mountain Campground
It was clean, and the people running it were friendly. They also have three little cabins on the propery, inexpensive, which a bunch of us rented one August, as my son got married at Mammoth Hot springs when we were there. Camping without the tent or the trailer..but a nice place to get ready for a wedding. Beautiful view above the river.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
A nice campground in Yellowstone Park with full hookups is Fishing Bridge. Good location too. You can drive around the Park or they have a tour bus that leaves daily from the Camp Office. Store, gift shop, gas, laundry all nearby. Bring lots of film for the camera, you'll need it!
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Chris,
Fishing Bridge is okay......just waaaaayy too expensive....$35.00 per night compared to $18.00 for the other in-park campgrounds. It caters to the bulge mobiles with three slide-outs. Oh, and you must have a hard sided rv only.....no tents or tent trailers allowed. I was there last August with my 13' and I had the smallest trailer there. (I got to the park late at night and took the first site I could find.) I recommend Canyon Village or Grant Village campgrounds. Check out Xanterra Parks & Recreation website.......they run the campgrounds.
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote