campgrounds in central North Carolina - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
campgrounds in central North Carolina

We are going to the "Eggshells in the Outer Banks" rally in October, leaving from the Metro Atlanta area. We are looking at camping in the Uwharrie National Forest for one night to break up the 10 hr. drive. We found Arrowhead Campground (COE) and Morrow Mountain State Park on line. Has anyone stayed at either of these campgrounds? Any recommendations on these or other spots for a "one night stand"? Thanks for your help.

John
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
For the Badin Lake area in the Uwharrie National Forest you have two choices, Arrowhead and Badin Lake. Arrowhead has sites with utilities while Badin Lake campground sites are non-electric with community wellheads. Both are a bit of a slow drive on gravel roads (maybe 1.5 miles) but not too bad. I spent four days at Badin Lake campground. The bath houses are individual shower / bathrooms. Outside of some bugs and spiders, they were OK and had plenty of hot water. Badin Lake Campground lower loop has many water front sites (see photo of site #9). Arrowhead is more developed but I only walked through the campground and did not stay there. If you stay at Badin Lakes CG there is no dump station but you can drive down to Arrowhead (on gravel roads) and use the one there.

I’ve hiked at Morrow Mountain but never camped there.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset-Site9.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #3

Georgia
Gordon,
Thanks for the info
Old 08-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I have camped at Morrow Mt. In the early Spring and enjoyed my stay. I however would question your travel route and the time planned to reach the OBX, since none of these locations are along the main travel routes.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Georgia
This seems to be a fairly direct route from our neighborhood.
Not sure if this link will take you to our route
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Flow...7439!3e0?hl=en

about 5 hrs to Uwharrie, and 5 hrs to Camp Hatteras.
Flowery Branch, Ga to Camp Hatteras, NC
Old 08-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We've camped at Uwharrie (agree with Gordon2's analysis) and Morrow Mountain (NC State Park gates are locked at night; hours probably from 8 PM to 7 AM in October) and enjoyed our stays at both but I'd suggest a different route.

From Charlotte, take I-85N to Greensboro where you can overnight in Hagan Stone Park Guilford County Government | Camping (4hrs 50 minutes per Mapquest). From there, take I-40E to Raleigh and then US-64E to Nags Head and then NC-12S to Rodanthe (4hrs 49 minutes per Mapquest).

Hagan-Stone is ten minutes from the interstate. The rv sites are close together and located in an open field but there likely won't be more than a half dozen other campers so space and privacy won't be an issue. Price for water & electric hookups is $20; $18 for seniors.

When leaving the rally, consider taking the ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar Island and then US 70 back to Raleigh.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I recommend that you join the Good Sam club and then use their site and guide for campgrounds. They rate campgrounds and you save on the rates.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Morrow mountain

We like Morrow Mountain, especially in the fall when it's a little cooler. If you get a chance you should do the loop trail at the top. It's only about a mile, and there are lots of arrowheads and flints from the prehistoric quarry there. Can't take any with you, but cool to see.
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote