Camping again already - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Not sure how much you guys can tolerate. I also belong to Flyfish-Do Not Post Email Addresses- and this is a copy of a post to them. I'm off topic on both lists, but FF-Do Not Post Email Addresses- is extremely tolerable until politics or gun control goes too far. Anyway, let me know. I'm still trying to get a feel for this list.

After dropping the Old Bag off at home so she could work to support my new toys, I picked up fishing buddy Keath and headed right back up the highway toward the Skagit River.

Interesting that heading down from Hope to North Vancouver at 110 kph with the A/C I got just over 12 miles per US gallon, towing the Toad, and with the canoe on the RAV. Heading back to Hope at 90 kph towing the Toad with no canoe, I got just over 19 mpg (US) and the same coming home. All the while I was being passed by people furious over the price of gas, doing 120 or 130 kph.

The gravel road into the Skagit is about 40 k of washboard and potholes. We ( Ok I was driving ) weren't expecting the pothole that stretched across the road on the paved section. I slammed on the brakes and swerved, but we still hit it pretty hard. Made it to camp without a flat tire, which is a first, but found canned goods strewn around the trailer and the paper towel totally unravelled.

I had applied gaffer tape to the fridge door to keep it from opening. Gaffer tape is not duck tape. It looks the same, but leaves no residue and costs about $40 a roll.

We arrived at noon and found a primo site, with a view and sounds of the river. That afternoon every site would fill up. Noted a huge number of tents and almost no large campers or SUVs.

We headed down to one of our favorite spots, at the log jam below camp and each managed to pick up two or three 14 inch rainbows. The 16s and 18s eluded us. But, we had this stretch of the river to ourselves.

I wasn't sure if Keath had Monday off so I provisioned us with a couple huge prime rib steaks, a whole chicken, Harvest BBQ hot dogs, never mind the cob corn, potato salad, cole slaw, Cheezies, chips, cashews, chocolates, and I could go on and on. This is what happens when you have a 5 cu. ft. fridge and endless cupboards in your trailer. Keath bought a blueberry pie and I lamented that we hadn't picked up some ice cream to give the freezer something to do.

I know this report is a little thin on fishing, but we went to bed that night about 9:30pm and didn't get up the next morning until 8:45am. Had a couple cups of coffee, followed by bacon and eggs over easy, read our books and pottered around and finally went fishing in the heat of the day. And, it was hot.

Drove down to the mouth of the river, counting the cars at the pull-outs ( we had been counting on them heading back to camp for lunch ) and finally picked our spot. And, I'd like to say we caught a lot of fish, but in fact, I raised a few and caught none and Keath managed a couple about 12 inches.

Back at camp we feasted on prime rib, fresh Chilliwack corn and pie. Listened to a two-part program about hydrogen as an energy source that I copied to my iPod. We even had a fire, but only because we need to burn garbage.

And, speaking of garbage, I finally get to digital cameras. I am not happy with my Olympus 790 SW. None of the pics I shot with that camera appear sharp. Pictures taken with my Olympus C5050 Zoom are fine, but it's not waterproof. And speaking of waterproof, I bought a sun shield for the LCD on the 790. It works OK except that when I put the camera under, water became trapped between the sun shield and the LCD. I've since removed the shield, and frankly, I'm going to retire the camera until I fall in the river with the C5050 and am forced to use it.

Heading home this afternoon, I applied gaffer tape to fridge and cupboards and we both kept a sharp eye for that pothole. Planned on hitting the sani-station at the rest stop on the way down and found a line of at least a dozen motor homes waiting. Managed to squeeze past to head back onto the highway and home. Stopped instead at the trailer park that's less than 2k from home to use the facilities. Only cost me $15.75.

But, remember when it cost a dime to use a toilet?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.....my ONLY issue with your post is when you said you BURNED your garbage.

YOU TAKE IT IN .... YOU TAKE IT OUT. LEAVE NO FOOT PRINT!!!!

Not to mention how hot and dry the weather has been in this part of the province lately, ESPECIALLY that part of the valley.....

Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
I wasn't sure if Keath had Monday off so I provisioned us with a couple huge prime rib steaks, a whole chicken, Harvest BBQ hot dogs, never mind the cob corn, potato salad, cole slaw, Cheezies, chips, cashews, chocolates, and I could go on and on. This is what happens when you have a 5 cu. ft. fridge and endless cupboards in your trailer. Keath bought a blueberry pie and I lamented that we hadn't picked up some ice cream to give the freezer something to do.
I know who to park next to in a rally!!!

Pam
Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
.....my ONLY issue with your post is when you said you BURNED your garbage.

YOU TAKE IT IN .... YOU TAKE IT OUT. LEAVE NO FOOT PRINT!!!!

Not to mention how hot and dry the weather has been in this part of the province lately, ESPECIALLY that part of the valley.....
I figure the parks people who collect the fees wouldn't be driving around with a pickup full of firewood in plastic bags if there was a fire ban.
So, we burned some paper plates, paper towels and organic bones. We didn't buy any firewood and we didn't have a campfire.
And we didn't cause fossil fuel to be burned, trucking the garbage out of the Skagit and up to Cache Creek to be buried.
We spent the evening listening to CBC Ideas two hour program on hydrogen as the energy solution.

So, you take your garbage out and leave your footprint somewhere else.

Good for you.

baglo
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
We spent the evening listening to CBC Ideas two hour program on hydrogen as the energy solution.

So, you take your garbage out and leave your footprint somewhere else.

Good for you.

baglo
The Ideas program was very interesting. It focussed on how we are choosing to do things that we think are helping the environment, but that are really doing nothing at all. Just shifting the damage. If you go to iTunes, podcasts, CBC and Ideas, you may be able to locate the programs. It was broadcast Dec. 19, 2007, however.

Replacing the light bulbs in your home does very little for instance. The heat produced by your old bulbs helped heat your home, so now your furnace has to work harder.

The person interviewed thinks we've already gone too far to recover, but he hasn't given up trying. If anyone cares, I can listen to the intro again and pass along the name of his book.

baglo