Camping between Miami and the Keys - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Camping between Miami and the Keys

Any suggestions? We are planning a Scamp trip in March! Want to get a break from artic N. Michigan for a few weeks...
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Type this in Google search

Camping south of Miami,Fl

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Joe,
In March 2 years ago we drove down to Key West. If you've never been there you will find space is at a premium. We didn't have a camper with us (went to meet some friends with a sailboat). We did notice that there seemed to be lots of campgrounds, some located literally right on the beach - but close to the highway.

We asked at several and were told that while they did have some vacancies that it's best to book as early as you can. You may be able to select your spot.

We wouldn't mind going down there again and taking more time poking around the many areas.

If you are from Michigan - take some warmer clothes with you. Nights can get cool. After all the temperatures will only be in the 70s or so. LOL

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #4

Registry
Kevin K:

Gee thanks.... Never heard of Google before..... what is it?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Registry
Wayne:

Thanks, That is what I had heard before. We are looking forward to those cool nights!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Steadman View Post
Wayne:

Thanks, That is what I had heard before. We are looking forward to those cool nights!
There are some nice State Parks on the beach. One is on Marathon, I forget where the others are, but I do remember the State Parks are great.
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Google
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Either my sarcasm alluded you or yours has alluded me.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
This past June we camped at Bahia Honda SP to celebrate my bday. It was beautiful and only about 90 miles (I think) from Key West. A very doable day trip. Now in Jun we were roasting as the bath houses are not climate controlled. Our popup A/C couldnt keep up with the high humidity either. This is what set us on our Egg finding journey. Mar should be perfect for the Keys! The campground was very clean and the staff super friendly. The beach was gorgeous and the water temp was a bit warm but in Mar I suspect that wouldnt be an issue. There is some shopping in the area like Winn Dixie and a Beall's Outlet as well as a few restaurants. Other CG's were pretty far from even a convenience store which is one reason we chose this Bahia. We wanted to be able to get ice and anything we may have forgotten. Having the Winn Dixie you'd have all the groceries you would need for your stay. On the way to Key West we did pass a KOA 20 miles North of Key West. They have a pool, hot tub, boat rentals, etc if you wanted more amenities. Bahia has a gift shop, snorkel tour, snack bar, kayak rentals and a dump station.

Hope this helps, You will love the Keys! They really do run on "Island Time" so dont get in a hurry for anything. We're going back during cooler temps once we get our Egg.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Check out the Florida State parks website. Welcome to Florida State Parks
FLSP lets people make reservations 11 months from the current date and the campsites on the Keys stay pretty booked up. What you see is about three weeks out people begin to cancel out. You might luck out and find a campsite for your desired dates, if not search the parks a day at a time. I pitched a tent at a commercial camp ground near B. Honda SP and it cost me $42 a night ten years ago.
Florida has some nice state parks, I am leaving in a couple of weeks for Lake Louisa and Highland Hammocks SP.
Good Luck
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Steadman View Post
Either my sarcasm alluded you or yours has alluded me.
Just put in one of these. or

Wish I could get away to the keys. Haven't been there since I was about 15. Oh, and having grown up north of Bay City, I can't imagine why you would want to get out of Michigan this time of year.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
You will find that just about every site is booked 11 months in advance...there are some walk-ins at Long Key, Curry Hammock, and Bahia Honda but if not you can sometimes find a private sit nearby..usually $5o plus a night. Try : Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Miami...although booked up they always have dry camping sites available. Also try Fishermans Cove( Camp??) up near Big Pine key...also usually dry/ overflow camping.
If all else fails, there are some Mom& Pop motels north of Marathon for $80 ++ which are on the ocean.
Some campers try setting up on the parking areas on the bridges...and pretend they are all-night fishermen...some get awa with it.
There is NO Walmart / Big K camping in the Keys!!! Cops'll roust you!
If you have a tent, Long Key S P has a boardwalk camping set-up with lean-to's and ramadas for tenters.
Voice of experience talking here ...we will be in the Keys for Feb through March. Takes some diligent work on the computer to get these ressies.
Final thought...some people double & triple book and "dump" their extra sites a few days before they finalize. Keep checking Reserve Americ right up to the day you want to camp...you could luck in.
Happy camping!
Alistair & Inge in the Road Toad (currently camping in W P Franklin CG in Fort Myers)
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote