Camping in northern new england - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp 16
Massachusetts
Camping in northern new england

Hi all;
not as many fiberglass campers out east, but for those of you who have, any suggestions for any "pristine" more natural campgrounds in new hampshire, vermont or Maine?
either dry camping or electric/water, no need for anything else like play grounds, community swimming pools, game rooms, club houses, etc. we're looking for smaller campgrounds that focus on nature, trails, woods, lakes/ponds/streams, etc. ideally very low density sites.
I have there are some campgrounds in the under 50 site range, that might be nice too.
thanks everyone,
Greg McB.
GregMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
You might start here
, this helps a great deal. Carl

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Only ones we have done in Maine are Sebago Lake SP, Camden Hills SP, and Lobster Buoy. Have been to Emerald Lake SP in Vermont many times but it seems to be in a steady decline in recent years as far as maintenance and amenities goes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I guess most NP or SP campgrounds will please you, but looking for campgrounds in the Acadia Park (Maine) area lately I came across this one that you might like. I've never been there myself:
http://www.quietsidecampground.com
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just back from 4 nights in the great North woods. Sunday we followed route 3 north of Pittsburg, NH to a state park called Deer Mountain. Just 5 miles south of the border. Watch out for ATV's and moose crossing the road. These days to cross the border requires a passport.

Next we backtracked down to route 26 and then up to Coleman state park. Very nice paddling pond.

Next day we travelled east passing into Maine and through Grafton notch. Along the way there's an outfitters in Errol that's worth a stop. Route 26 junctions with route 2. We travelled west on route 2 then south on route 113 to a NFS campground called Hastings.

Next day we followed route 113 through Evans notch to Fryeburg then over to Conway NH. Route 112, the Kancamagus highway has numerous FCFS campgrounds. We stayed at Big Rock. As this was mid week, the first three nights no reservations were needed but weekends would be a whole other story. Also, only Coleman has showers and a dump station.

White mountain NFS campgrounds
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Raz;711407] These days to cross the border requires a passport.

Our NY Enhanced drivers license allows us into Canada or Mexico without a passport. Not sure if Mass has an equivalent to that. They are now pushing the "Star" license that will be required to get into a Federal building or to board a domestic flight, starting (I think) in 2020.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
These days to cross the border requires a passport.
Our NY Enhanced drivers license allows us into Canada or Mexico without a passport. Not sure if Mass has an equivalent to that. They are now pushing the "Star" license that will be required to get into a Federal building or to board a domestic flight, starting (I think) in 2020.
The enhanced is only border states I think. We have passport cards which are less expensive than either a passport or the enhanced license.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
A Favorite

Sunset Point Campground in Harrington Maine. This is about a 30 site campground, most sites are relatively small. The owners are great. It is situated on the water. Virtually no seasonal sites, mostly people passing through or there for a few days. Rarely any children. When you arrive, the owner will ask you if you want a cooked lobster delivered to your site. He provides the tools, plate; you provide the sides.

We're leaving for there this Monday to attend the Maine Wild Blueberry festival in nearby Machias.

Reservation suggested for the campground. Interestingly he charges by the length of your rig.

We stop going to and fro to Newfoundland every year and he allows us to come even before the campground is open. The owner, Kurt, is a great guy.

Sunset Point Campground – Harrington, Maine

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp '19
Maine
Maine camping

While I am technically "from away", I have been living and tent camping in Maine since the early 90's. While I have still much to learn about RV camping here because our Scamp is currently being built, I can recommend a few parks.

Cobscook Bay State Park is located near Lubec, which is on the ocean, along with Quoddy Head State Park. Cobscook is my favorite in the state because the tent sites are almost all very private and are near or on the tidal water. The RV section is well situated with pull-through sites and water views. Quoddy Head and Campobello Island are the main attractions (lighthouse and Roosevelt Cottage), but, as a birder, the August shorebird migration is breathtaking on the Lubec Flats. Also, Quoddy Head boasts one of the few raised coastal bogs with a boardwalk - a treasure to be sure (I'm serious!). Finally, to complete the area's charms, very few people bother to visit, so, compared to Acadia NP, you'll feel like you own the place. As a tent camper, I never needed reservations, but there are fewer RV sites, and I would recommend making reservations.

I've stayed at Lamoine and Peaks-Kenny State Parks, but they are your standard state parks - the attraction is what is around them.

Once we get our trailer, we'll be heading up to the North Maine Woods. This is the land of the AT, waterfalls, views of Katahdin, trails, and logging. We've scoped out some of the campsites near Katahdin Iron Works, and quite a few look suitable for a small fiberglass camper. There are no hook-ups, but the outhouses are clean and fresh. What Is Ki-Jo Mary

I hope you enjoy your time up here. I did so much, I decided to stay.
Kathy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Massachusetts
Thank you all! great references and trip accounts.
Greg McB

Scamp 16
GregMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you're looking for an RV Resort there's lots of information and google is your friend. If you're looking for an older more rustic campground I suggest http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/
Old 08-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #12

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Following.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
One of our last trips in New England before we moved out west to Colorado was Schoodic Peninsula Campground. It is just east of Acadia NP. It is actually part of it. The campground is new, it is not as crowded as Mt. Desert Island, and it is beautiful.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
New Hampshire
Sun River campground in Barnstead is a well-kept secret... many sites right on the river... no frills... quiet & beautiful... dogs allowed... we paid $30/night for a site with water & electric. Phone # is 603-269-3333. We were thinking it would be fun to have a gathering of fiberglass trailers there... we have a 1980 Trillium Jubilee.

Happy trails!
Carol
Go.with.the.Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #15

Name: Hope
Trailer: Burro
Georgia
Somes Sound Campground just outside of Acadia is fantastic. All tent/small campers, no big rigs. Beautiful scenery!
Hope WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #16

Name: Erek
Trailer: Casita 17' Deluxe
ME
I just finished 5 nights at Cobscook Bay State Park in Lubec / Eastport area of far eastern Maine (and the USA).
Excellent sites - quiet and very private. A few with water views. No electrical hook-ups. Fresh water available, but not at sites. There is a dump station. There are ample vault toilets (if you need them) and a fine shower house facility for the whole campground. About 100 sites (both tent and RV).
I live in Maine about 3 1/2 hours from the campground. The area around Cobscook Bay is beautiful to explore and enjoy.
erek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Camping near Berlin, NH

We enjoyed a week camping off grid in Milan Hill State Park. There are only a few campsites with a smaller number of yurts mixed in but before Memorial Day we had the place practically to ourselves. The park is well maintained with new outhouses, an animal-proof dumpster, and several water spigots. Firewood is available at the park office and the ski trails are well marked for hiking. We had moose droppings next to our site but unfortunately did not see any moose. Be sure to climb the ranger tower for a great view of the surrounding mountains. The park roads are gravel and a little steep but were not a problem pulling our Scamp with our pickup truck.
davenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #18

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Go.with.the.Flo;712541]Sun River campground in Barnstead is a well-kept secret... many sites right on the river... no frills... quiet & beautiful... dogs allowed... we paid $30/night for a site with water & electric. Phone # is 603-269-3333. We were thinking it would be fun to have a gathering of fiberglass trailers there... we have a 1980 Trillium Jubilee.

I would be up for that. I'd prefer no frills to a KOA campground any day!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #19

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
Gifford Woods, in Killington, VT. https://vtstateparks.com/gifford.html

I understand the original park/campground was built by the CCC; nice and quiet and clean, and near some interesting things, like the Killington ski area (which I believe has Summer activities), and the Simon Pearce Glass Studios.
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #20

Name: Duke & Chris
Trailer: Oliver
Florida
Coincidentally, I discovered this blog today; written by an Oliver owner. Maine – Travels with Ollie
https://travelswithollie.com/category/maine/
ShallowGal is offline   Reply With Quote