Camping in Yellowstone and Tetons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Wink Camping in Yellowstone and Tetons

We are making a cross country trip to Seattle from NC in August and Sept. Want to follow the Oregon Trail on the way out at least to Casper, WY when we will go up to Cody, Yellowstone, and Tetons. We are pulling 16' Casita with a Ford Explorer.
We plan to enter Yellowstone from Cody on August 16 via Beartooth Hwy. We would like to camp somewhere in the north of the park (Tower Junction if possible) We can camp off grid. We have reservations for full hook ups at Fishing Bridge on Aug. 17-18. Can you suggest a campground either in the north of the Park or around Gardiner, MT.
Would also like a suggestion for campground in the Tetons. We really wanted to stay at Jenny Lake but looks like they do not allow campers. It seemed that reservations would not be needed for the Tetons at that time of the year.
Other information will be appreciated.
Ron in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Colter Bay in the Tetons has full hookups (and an outstanding museum at the visitors center), I think they take reservations. Gros Ventre at the south end of the park is first come first serve. You can usually get a spot there. No hookups, flush toilets, no showers but a spectacular spot - we can't wait to go again.

Happy Trails

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: shopping
Utah
Signal Mountain Campground is very good. Usually you want to get there by 9 AM. I usually make one pass through the CG and if I spot a promising vacant site will leave something (lawn chair etc) to claim it while continuing to scope out other sites. No hookups but a dump station. Lodge that is close by has a small store, restaurant, gas et al.
Wifi available in the lodge reception area.
bernfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I really like the Gros Ventre Campground in the Teton's an easy drive to Jackson Hole if you want to explore it or go out for dinner. There was no water or electric hook ups and only flush toilets when I was there two years ago but it looked like they were going to be adding some facilities into the camping. Even if they still dont have showers you can go up to another park campground and use their shower facilities. Even in the middle of July I got in with no reservations and the campground was not full. The area near the tent camping area was great with lots of wildlife to watch in the field behind. Got up one morning to find this big guy sleeping beside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Teton 07-22-11 04_47small.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
2X on Gros Ventre. I had no problem getting a site late in the day in early August. While at the Tetons, drive out to Mormon Row & check out the view of the old homesteads with the mountains behind them:
Attached Thumbnails
ASD_3268.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I know there is a KOA @ RedLodge- right before Beartooth Highway entrance, can not remember if it is on the north or south entrance.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote