Camping near Albany, OR? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Camping near Albany, OR?

We need to find a RV Camp site near Albany, OR.

We will be spending several days at a retriever training facility.

We're looking for something that is clean, safe and economical. And accepts dogs.

Would prefer full hookups.

I was hoping that you may have some recommendations.

Thanks,
JP
Old 05-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
We need to find a RV Camp site near Albany, OR.

We will be spending several days at a retriever training facility.

We're looking for something that is clean, safe and economical. And accepts dogs.

Would prefer full hookups.

I was hoping that you may have some recommendations.

Thanks,
JP
Here's probably the best bet.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeap, that's what I was going to say. Waterloo is a great campground with water and electric hookups. No full hookups but they do have a dump station. There is also a dog park.

I love Waterloo. We've had several NOG's there. That's where I'd camp.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Yeap, that's what I was going to say. Waterloo is a great campground with water and electric hookups. No full hookups but they do have a dump station. There is also a dog park.

I love Waterloo. We've had several NOG's there. That's where I'd camp.
I second the motion about Waterloo!

Caution: DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER the KOA south of Salem. It is a complete disaster!

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Waterloo does look very nice but here's one more choice. We have stayed at Silver Spur in Silverton, a full service Passport America park under $20, It's a little further than Waterloo and on the north side of Albany. We also like the town of Silverton.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Waterloo does look very nice but here's one more choice. We have stayed at Silver Spur in Silverton, a full service Passport America park under $20, It's a little further than Waterloo and on the north side of Albany. We also like the town of Silverton.

Norm
Thanks Norm. Checked out their web site & looks interesting. Being north of Albany is a plus.

Because I need to get to the training site early it's important to minimise my commute time. Will to find out how far Silverton & Waterloo are from the training area.

But I have several nice sites to research.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:

Norm
I have a call into them, but the wet site has the rates over $35. They have a discount for during the week, and they are a good sam Park. Anything above $25 per nite is not worth the extra drive.

I wish Waterloo wasn't so far to the south.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
I have a call into them, but the wet site has the rates over $35. They have a discount for during the week, and they are a good sam Park. Anything above $25 per nite is not worth the extra drive.

I wish Waterloo wasn't so far to the south.
I believe their Passport America rate is $17.

Norm
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #9

Florida
I agree it's a little drive, Waterloo is closer to Albany. Just thought I'd provide a full service alternative incase your training site was N of Albany.

Passport is not an issue for us because we use it thru the year in it easily pays for itself in a few days.

Norm
Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
I believe their Passport America rate is $17.

Norm
Thanks again Norm. They confirmed that as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

I really appreciate your input! I am now seriously considering joining passport og America. Checking out areas that I pass through on the web!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Jane, on your return please let us know what you decided and how the facilities measured up.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #13

CAMPING/TRIP REPORT: TOOK NORM'S ADVICE.

Just got back from my trip. My friends in Albany recommended a new RV Park (Emerald) just off the 5 Fry. I drove past the Blue Ox which backed up against the fry. I then continued up the Fry to this park which I could also see from the Fry. I didn't like its location over looking the fry, so I just drove past the off ramp and checked out the Silver Spurs RV Park. I liked the person I spoke with on the phone when researching sites, and really liked the park itself. It did not have a fitness center like the Blue Ox RV site in Albany. But Silver Spurs is located far away from the fry, so no noise. Very clean and quiet. A really nice cliental. Also, a great trail walking area for the dogs.

I joined the Passport America Club. As it turns out, one of the parks I stay in when competing in Northern California is also a Passport Member, so this became a no brainer. I ended up coming back to Albany after our first hunt test (only place in the Pacific NW and Rocky Mountains with decent weather), so the Passport Membership paid for itself immediately.

It was also centrally located to where I ended up training both weeks, so I really saved on gas. Using my i-pod, I got back road routes to the training grounds, and enjoyed some breathtaking drives through that part of Oregon.

Regarding the trip itself, very successful! My key female passed 3 out of 4 tests in Portland and Montana. Here's a "picture" of me and my dogs with the Pro-trainer I worked with prior to the hunt test. As you can see from the ribbons, we did good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	37295

After spending 2 weeks in the Portland/Silverton area, I moved on to Western Montana. Had a wonderful time in Butte and Missoula. I hooked up at a friend's home and trained/tested in that area for a week. Did another back to back Hunt Test, where my key female passed her 3rd test. Here's a picture of me and one of the judges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	37296

Then I spent a week dry camping on private training grounds. Trained with a small group there for several days and then had the whole place to myself for 3 or 4 days.

I finished up the trip back at the Silver Spurs Park. But as most of my training that week was in Albany, I might have been better off at Waterloo. Next year I'll look into that.

Silverton itself is a great little town. Nice restaurants and a couple of good sized grocery stores. It's about 20 minute drive from Salem and an hour outside of Portland. They have a community theater, but I left town before the first summer play. Gas seems to be a few cents cheaper in Silverton.

The Bigfoot held up well. But as usual things go wrong. The heater stopped working which made it hard to get up at first light. I'm hoping it is the thermostat. The hot water heater also stopped working the day before I left for home. My trailer friends suggest that it is a coupler?? which shouldn't be too hard/expensive to fix.

The switch on my Electric Jack broke at the beginning of the trip!!! That was a real bummer. Luckily it went up (which was good when mounting the sway bars), but what a pain to take it down! It's only a year old, so this should not have happened. I did call Barker, and they sent a new switch to my home.

And sadly, on the trip home, my tongue cover came off. Lost it somewhere between Stockton and Los Banos. It was old, and I was thinking that it needs to be reconfigured. I am concerned because I have no idea how to replace it.

But ... worst thing ever: the carafe for my Coleman Coffee maker broke the first night I was in Montana!!!! I called Coleman, but because I was traveling about the region, it was impractical for them to send me anything and I could not find a replacement carafe that would fit at any store in town. When I started dry camping, I couldn't stand it and bought a French Press at Starbucks. The Manager at that store also uses a Coleman when camping and, commiserating over my loss, threw in a bag of coffee.

Now I like the French Press: best coffee ever. But it is a mess to clean up. So all in all I prefer the Coleman. I'm hoping to find a steel carafe that will fit the coffee maker, so I won't have to go through this again. Mornings without caffeine is just way too awful...
Old 06-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #14

Florida
Silver Spurs and Silverton

We're glad Silver Spurs worked out for you. We also like Siverton. One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a Frank Lloyd Wright house there that's open to the public.

Passport America has turned out to be a good deal for us as well.

Safe travels.

Norm
Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
CAMPING/TRIP REPORT: TOOK NORM'S ADVICE.

Just got back from my trip. My friends in Albany recommended a new RV Park (Emerald) just off the 5 Fry. I drove past the Blue Ox which backed up against the fry. I then continued up the Fry to this park which I could also see from the Fry. I didn't like its location over looking the fry, so I just drove past the off ramp and checked out the Silver Spurs RV Park. I liked the person I spoke with on the phone when researching sites, and really liked the park itself. It did not have a fitness center like the Blue Ox RV site in Albany. But Silver Spurs is located far away from the fry, so no noise. Very clean and quiet. A really nice cliental. Also, a great trail walking area for the dogs.

I joined the Passport America Club. As it turns out, one of the parks I stay in when competing in Northern California is also a Passport Member, so this became a no brainer. I ended up coming back to Albany after our first hunt test (only place in the Pacific NW and Rocky Mountains with decent weather), so the Passport Membership paid for itself immediately.

It was also centrally located to where I ended up training both weeks, so I really saved on gas. Using my i-pod, I got back road routes to the training grounds, and enjoyed some breathtaking drives through that part of Oregon.

Regarding the trip itself, very successful! My key female passed 3 out of 4 tests in Portland and Montana. Here's a "picture" of me and my dogs with the Pro-trainer I worked with prior to the hunt test. As you can see from the ribbons, we did good.

Attachment 37295

After spending 2 weeks in the Portland/Silverton area, I moved on to Western Montana. Had a wonderful time in Butte and Missoula. I hooked up at a friend's home and trained/tested in that area for a week. Did another back to back Hunt Test, where my key female passed her 3rd test. Here's a picture of me and one of the judges.

Attachment 37296

Then I spent a week dry camping on private training grounds. Trained with a small group there for several days and then had the whole place to myself for 3 or 4 days.

I finished up the trip back at the Silver Spurs Park. But as most of my training that week was in Albany, I might have been better off at Waterloo. Next year I'll look into that.

Silverton itself is a great little town. Nice restaurants and a couple of good sized grocery stores. It's about 20 minute drive from Salem and an hour outside of Portland. They have a community theater, but I left town before the first summer play. Gas seems to be a few cents cheaper in Silverton.

The Bigfoot held up well. But as usual things go wrong. The heater stopped working which made it hard to get up at first light. I'm hoping it is the thermostat. The hot water heater also stopped working the day before I left for home. My trailer friends suggest that it is a coupler?? which shouldn't be too hard/expensive to fix.

The switch on my Electric Jack broke at the beginning of the trip!!! That was a real bummer. Luckily it went up (which was good when mounting the sway bars), but what a pain to take it down! It's only a year old, so this should not have happened. I did call Barker, and they sent a new switch to my home.

And sadly, on the trip home, my tongue cover came off. Lost it somewhere between Stockton and Los Banos. It was old, and I was thinking that it needs to be reconfigured. I am concerned because I have no idea how to replace it.

But ... worst thing ever: the carafe for my Coleman Coffee maker broke the first night I was in Montana!!!! I called Coleman, but because I was traveling about the region, it was impractical for them to send me anything and I could not find a replacement carafe that would fit at any store in town. When I started dry camping, I couldn't stand it and bought a French Press at Starbucks. The Manager at that store also uses a Coleman when camping and, commiserating over my loss, threw in a bag of coffee.

Now I like the French Press: best coffee ever. But it is a mess to clean up. So all in all I prefer the Coleman. I'm hoping to find a steel carafe that will fit the coffee maker, so I won't have to go through this again. Mornings without caffeine is just way too awful...

What the heck is The 5, and Fry????
Old 06-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #16

Florida
I assumed 'the 5' is I-5 and 'Fry', the freeway.

Norm
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
In regards to your heater and hot water tank, get someone to check your gas pressure as it sounds like it maybe low.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
In regards to your heater and hot water tank, get someone to check your gas pressure as it sounds like it maybe low.

Bill K
Good Suggestion. Will do.

I did use my Propane Stovetop with no problems. And also had the fridge on Propane when dry camping. Wouldn't low pressure affect those appliances as well?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
i assumed 'the 5' is i-5 and 'fry', the freeway.

Norm
oops. :d
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
In that case, check the burners for spider webs or mud daubers nest blocking the combustion air flow.

Bill K

PS To answer you question, yes it would affect those appliances.

Quote:
Good Suggestion. Will do.

I did use my Propane Stovetop with no problems. And also had the fridge on Propane when dry camping. Wouldn't low pressure affect those appliances as well?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote