camping near remote hot springs in Nevada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #15

Name: Juanita
Trailer: what
Mexico
Winter camping for us is going south towards Arizona, not as many hot springs but plenty of dry camping and rockhounding.

A detour to Goldpoint is always a good thing, photo ops to the max.

Tecopa Hot Springs are a welcome stop near Las Vegas, many choices in camping and soaking. Wifi available

Old 06-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
I'm just sitting here having a good laugh thinking about all of the phone shenanigans that went on as a kid. As a young kid our phone was on a party line with all of the different ring patterns for four families. Once you answered you would have the other families occasionally pick up to see if the line was clear.

Phone service improved and we went down to two families on the line. Unfortunately our line partner was an elderly lady who assumed all calls were for her and she would talk for three hours. She lived four houses from us. I was about 8 and my sister was 6. When the lady was on the line forever I would ask my sister to go to the front door and ring the bell while I held the receiver close to the chime. I would also hold the receiver at the back door and knock. Both worked every time, but you could count on her picking up the phone again within three minutes and dialing away, then heavy breathing until she realized we were on the phone. It was aggravatingly fun - my sister and I would laugh and carry on because it worked every time. It's great 59 years later to get so tickled.

Kids today have no idea - rotary / pay phones / touch tone / Princess / lighted dials / car phones / and now my iPhone that has more computing power than early spacecrafts. On TV last I was watching a program on computing and they stated that my iPhone's computing power would have required an entire large room to have had the same computing power back in our earlier lives. Just amazing!

Old 06-14-2015, 03:20 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Mike, got a chuckle from your post. I remember party lines also but never did what you did. My kids never had any of that and I'm sure anything I told them of my generation went way over their heads. But one funny story for everyone here. I always wanted a red desk rotary phone, just cuz. Found one at the swap meet for 2 bucks. I plugged it in, called my youngest daughter to see it. I called the house line from my cell so she could hear the REAL bell ringing that we all grew up with. Her eyes lite up and wanted it in her bedroom. Sure, take it. She gave it back to me a couple weeks later because it took to long to dial a number kids. Remember how hard it was to get into a radio stations contest with a rotary phone to be the 10th caller? Dang, this could be it's own thread.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:59 AM   #18

Virginia
Hey Dave you and me - I had a red desk phone for years - it was just my thing. I don't understand it but I sure enjoyed it.I may still have it in the garage. )
Old 06-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
It's kind of funny how things work out. I did 5 years in the AF in communications.....telephone switching no less on a mountain top overseas. One of these days I'm going to find a real candle stick phone just to have because.....Not really into antiques but I want three and the one I have so far is a 1934 Monitor Top refer in mint condition. Dang thing weighs more than a 27 cubic foot modern refer. The other two, still looking for the deal.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #20

Virginia
Dave I read your post early thi morning and guilt crept over me. Growing up and through my early adult life my family had friends that lived in a more rural area. We would visit them often and cook out, walk in the woods, etc. They had no children so my sister and I were like their neice and nephew. They had an authentic candlestick phone and I loved it. Phones, electricity, and air conditioning were my things as a kid??? Maybe I'm the reincarnation of Thomas Edison! On one of our visits they gave me the phone - ugh I was thrilled. I played with and enjoyed it and let it just sit as kids do - I was 6 yrs old. You know I have no idea what ever happened to that phone. It was in perfect condition and if I still had it I could send it to you. Well I'll keep my eyes open for you and if I find one I'll let you know. In the meantime here's hoping that you find one in great condition!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #21

Mexico
Spencer Hot Springs

I spent Father's Day soaking at Spencer Hot Springs outside of Austin, NV off Hwy 50, great time, hot water, almost paradise! Lots of room to dry camp, 6 miles of dirt road, 2 small trailers were camped at one of the steel soaking tubs, a motorhome was camped near the other metal tub, I had the stone pool to myself. This week is the Pony Express reenactment which goes across central Nevada just north of the soaks, and in July the Lincoln Highway ride goes through Hwy 50 as well.

4 bars on cell phone, watched a netflix under the stars!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #22

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I hope you weren't watching Netflix while soaking! Hate to think what would happen if you dropped the phone...

How were the daytime and nighttime temps?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #23

Mexico
Days were 80's night around 55, Laptop sitting on wooden deck, good for 3 hours of movie time without recharging. Tablet for reading books offline and email, pictures were taken with Samsung tablet.

There are other hot springs in the area, some indian caves, several ghosttowns, petraglyph sites, and Austin, Kingston and Eureka with their bars and shops to visit.

Bring a telescope for star gazing, you are at 6000 feet with no urban lights to lighten the night sky.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #24

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Sounds pretty nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #25

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Sounds like you hit it pretty well. Aren't temps typically 10 to 15 degrees warmer at this time of year?

I imagine that spring water felt really great after dark.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #26

Mexico
temps vary a great deal yes, it is only a few miles up the road to a nice campground in the pines near Touquima Caves, and 20 miles down Hwy 50 to Hickson summit petraglyphs campground