camping near remote hot springs in Nevada - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Juanita
Trailer: what
Mexico
camping near remote hot springs in Nevada

My wife and I are well versed in camping near our many remote hot springs in Nevada, some are stand alone attractions, many have rockhounding and historic locations nearby, we would be glad to answer questions or suggest places to stop on your drive through Nevada.

Millie and John

Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
That's kind of you! Those hot springs would feel great in cool weather. I bet some people will be posting or writing for info.

(Unfortunately I only have summers off, so I stay out of NV.)

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
John---we're heading to the Southwest this winter and will definitely keep your kind offer in mind!

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
We love northwestern Nevada. We go down every summer when my wife gets "summer break" from the school district, and will be heading down again in a few weeks. We spend 7~10 days at the Royal Peackock opal mine in Virgin Valley (off Hwy 140, and go right past the Dufferena Ponds CCC Campgrounds/Hot Spring dry camping area on our way in towards the mine. We have also been to Bog Hot Springs on the way into Denio Junction too. Very unique geological formations in this part of the country. We usually go down through Lakeview, OR, and about midway through our trip we make a run into Winnemucca for supplies. In addition to opal digging, we love exploring the surrounding area and the Sheldon Wildlife Preserve. Great place to visit, but come prepared. Nearest fuel and supplies are a considerable drive and there's no cell phone coverage for about 50 miles in any direction.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
It all sounded great until you got to the "no cell phone" part.
Can I break the addiction?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #6

Name: KC
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Millie & John-
Just purchased a 13' Scamp in good shape and am eager to try it out. I'm in Reno and thought I'd go somewhere close for a couple of nights like Davis Creek or Donner State Park to get acclimated to it. After that, where are some of your favorites somewhat near here? Hot springs would be okay but not necessary. I'd probably do mid-week trips as I work weekends. Thanks!

KC
Old 06-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
That's funny Denece as I keep telling my kids how we didn't die without cell phones, Ipads and such growing up.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Hell, I grew up with 1 rotary dial phone in the house, hooked to a cord plugged into the special 4 pronged phone outlet. You could talk on it anywhere you wanted to, as long as the cord reached. Didn't even have to dial the prefix if it was local, just the last 4 numbers. I'm not sure that most "kids" today have ever even seen one outside of a museum. We even scribbled the phone numbers on the cave walls next to the wooly mammoth drawings.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
John and Millie, thanks for your kind offer of advice. I'm going to bookmark this thread so that next time we're planning a trip down to that part of the country I can get in touch with you.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #10

Name: Juanita
Trailer: what
Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCB3 View Post
Millie & John-
Just purchased a 13' Scamp in good shape and am eager to try it out. I'm in Reno and thought I'd go somewhere close for a couple of nights like Davis Creek or Donner State Park to get acclimated to it. After that, where are some of your favorites somewhat near here? Hot springs would be okay but not necessary. I'd probably do mid-week trips as I work weekends. Thanks!

KC
How far from Reno in miles are you willing to drive? Dirt roads ok? Need shade or hook-ups? Pets?

Driving out Hwy 50 east through Fallon and Middlegate, can take you to many ghosttowns and several hot springs, North of Fernley to Gerlach gets you to the Black Rock desert and hot springs sprinkled around. Distance and off highway driving plus total dry camping ability limit the options a lot.

No fixed agenda, able to adapt to the changes in conditions, not being in constant connection to digital world, bringing it all with you and hauling out your own trash, respect for the places you visit, these are very important to enjoying primitive places in Nevada and elsewhere in the West.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
LOL. Yes Casita Dave, that pretty much sums up my first 30 odd years. Got a flip phone when they got useable since I had a long commute at odd hours.
Slippery slope

Most of our camping is along the coast nearby. Usually there are two bars and I adapt

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Only way to break the addiction is to stop using! Many of the nicest camping spots in North America have no cell coverage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Ditto what Carol said!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Hell, I grew up with 1 rotary dial phone in the house, hooked to a cord plugged into the special 4 pronged phone outlet. You could talk on it anywhere you wanted to, as long as the cord reached. Didn't even have to dial the prefix if it was local, just the last 4 numbers. I'm not sure that most "kids" today have ever even seen one outside of a museum. We even scribbled the phone numbers on the cave walls next to the wooly mammoth drawings.
When we visited the grandmother when I was very young you just picked up the phone and told the operator who you wanted to talk to! She might already know if they were not home and could connect you where they were. You don't get that service today! No dial! Of course the later upgraded to a dial system, but the wires were still stapled to the trees. Very few ugly phone poles there.