Camping on Vancouver island - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #61

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
In Comox tonight at Cape Lazo, nice park upgraded everything lately.
Ferry to the sunshine coast in the morningmg][/url]
Welcome to my part of the world. Live just around the corner on the other side of the Cape Lazo at Air Force Beach,

If your still looking for interesting places on the Island to go Telegraph Harbour has an RV park. Cool old town and well worth the money to take a whale watching tour.

Edit. Missed last post this am indicating you have already gone off island time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:09 PM   #62

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Here we go again

It's been a long time between starting this plan and picking it up again. We are now hoping the border will continue be open and we will be able to visit Vancouver Island in September. With the help of all your suggestions I have come up with this plan and I'd love some feedback on it.

We have 3 weeks and love moderate hikes. We also have inflatable kayaks that we would like to use on calm waters. We usually do not choose hook ups unless we need to for laundry. We do not have a high clearance vehicle.

Fort Victoria for 3 nights - seeing Buschart gardens and a day in the city
Brown's Bay for 4 nights - to visit Gold River, Elk Falls, maybe the museum at Campbell River
Alder Bay for 4 nights - Telegraph Cove for whale watching, driving up to Port Hardy
Cumberland Lake for 1 night
Tofino for 4 nights
Living Forest in Nanaimo for 1 night
Gordon Bay 1 night
French Beach 1 night
Goldstream for 2 nights

I'm most unsure about the one night stays and wonder whether I should drop the southern loop and spend more time somewhere else. Or should I drop Tofino and spread those nights out? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I think we will start after the holiday weekend in September to avoid crowds so this will actually go a little into October.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #63

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
It's been a long time between starting this plan and picking it up again. We are now hoping the border will continue be open and we will be able to visit Vancouver Island in September. With the help of all your suggestions I have come up with this plan and I'd love some feedback on it.

We have 3 weeks and love moderate hikes. We also have inflatable kayaks that we would like to use on calm waters. We usually do not choose hook ups unless we need to for laundry. We do not have a high clearance vehicle.

Brown's Bay for 4 nights - to visit Gold River, Elk Falls, maybe the museum at Campbell River
Alder Bay for 4 nights - Telegraph Cove for whale watching, driving up to Port Hardy
Tofino for 4 nights
Gordon Bay 1 night
French Beach 1 night
Goldstream for 2 nights

I'm most unsure about the one night stays and wonder whether I should drop the southern loop and spend more time somewhere else. Or should I drop Tofino and spread those nights out? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I think we will start after the holiday weekend in September to avoid crowds so this will actually go a little into October.
Check out some of the small towns that have cute things like painted fire hydrants and other things in them. We had a lot of fun doing that and they were just 1/2 day stops to walk around town.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:18 PM   #64

California
Yes - to the small towns! Do Duncan and Ladysmith have spots to park with a trailer or should we plan to do this without the trailer?
Old 02-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #65

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 19'er
Colorado
While I'm not that familiar with the geography of Vancouver Is, I've taken our fiberglass trailer over to Quadra Is (from I believe Campbell River). Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge/Cape Mudge Resort at the south end of Quadra Is has a wonderful, very small RV campground right on channel looking back over toward Campbell River. It was great fun watching the ships go by. Also, there is a set of linked lakes on Quadra Is which we found great for kayaking.
Not all who wander are lost.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #66

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Yes - to the small towns! Do Duncan and Ladysmith have spots to park with a trailer or should we plan to do this without the trailer?
Yes Duncan was the town I couldn't remember the name of. They have a lot of totem poles. The Forest Discovery Center was really good in Duncan also. Port Alberni was a fun place with a museum in a lighthouse. Check out Cathedral Grove an old growth forest and a nice walk through it. It is fairly near Port Alberni. Little Qualicom Falls Provincial Park was great. Hiking to both falls and along the river was great. We took the ski lift up Mount Washington and you could see for miles. Campbell River was a great town with totem poles, wood carvings, a seawalk and so much more. Elk Falls Provincial Park has a nice long hike to 3 falls (one more a cascade) and a beautiful bunch of scenery on the hike. We stayed at full service campgrounds, Walmart, provincial park campgrounds and other parking areas. We were on the island 12 days and wished we'd had 12 more at least. We have a motorhome and that is our only form of transportation with it so we didn't have the privilege of a car which would have been nice sometimes. If you can leave the trailer in a park do it and enjoy all you can in an area. Then sometimes you can just go with the trailer stopping at many places on the way to another.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I believe we stayed at Fort Victoria RV for a couple of days, attending a wedding nearby. Not impressed, but it was close to the venue ( a golf club ).
We also stayed at an RV park on the water, a short water-ferry ride or seawall walk to downtown Victoria. That would be my preference if visiting Victoria area. Not cheap and cheek by jowl, but so convenient for downtown restaurants and the museum, Legislature etc.

It might be called Salish Sea RV park now.
When heading up island, I like to take the Oceanfront route, but I'm not in a hurry. Stop by Deep Bay heading up.
This pic is my trailer in my friend's front yard. There are two campgrounds at Deep Bay. Never stayed at them.
Attached Thumbnails
toad deep bay 3.jpg  
Old 02-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #68

Found pix from Victoria. Park was called Westbay RV.
New owners are Salish RV park.
In pic three, you can see our Escape 17 on the left side of the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
P9060051.jpg   P9070053.jpg  

P9070056.jpg  
Old 02-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #69

If you haven't already, check out Hello BC.
https://www.hellobc.com/things-to-do/camping/
Old 02-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #70

Name: Stephen
Trailer: On the hunt
British Columbia
Quote:

Tofino for 4 nights
Gordon Bay 1 night
French Beach 1 night
Goldstream for 2 nights
Like another poster stated Fort Victoria is meh. It's more if a trailer park vibe than rv resort. Basically a gravel parking lot beside the highway (unless they've updated it significantly in the past 2 decades). I think there are other places with hookups that are nicer but being from Victoria I haven't stayed at them. I want to get away from town.

I personally would stay longer at french beach and either skip goldstream or reduce it. Goldstream is pretty nice but not particularly notable imho. From French beach you can go visit stuff like sandcut beach or go up to botanical beach, do the hike down to Mystic Beach from China beach (could also stay at China beach which is north of French beach, it's a bit darker and the beach is rocky whereas french beach has nice large sandy portions), and of course there is Sombrio beach. Lots to see between Sooke and Port Renfrew if you want to see the raw west coast.

Pro-tip on french beach: get down to the beach. People get fooled by how dark and cool it can be in the trees at the campsite so they don't seem to venture down to the beach when it's actually an absolutely amazing day. Often the sites will be full but the beach will be empty.

I'd also want to spend more than one day at living forest just because it's a nice campground on the ocean with good amenities.

As for Tofino... The drive sucks. It's worth going and I'd recommend going at least once and you might as well stay a bit to make it worth the drive. Being from Victoria I tend to prefer going up towards Port Renfrew. If I lived up island I might find Tofino more of a draw.

I like that Gordon bay made the list. It's a nice little campground with a good beach to hang out at.
dubbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #71

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
I personally would stay longer at french beach and either skip goldstream or reduce it. Goldstream is pretty nice but not particularly notable imho.

As for Tofino... The drive sucks. It's worth going and I'd recommend going at least once and you might as well stay a bit to make it worth the drive. Being from Victoria I tend to prefer going up towards Port Renfrew. If I lived up island I might find Tofino more of a draw.

I like that Gordon bay made the list. It's a nice little campground with a good beach to hang out at.
Thanks! I think I you suggested Gordon Bay!
Would French beach be close enough to the ferry in Victoria for our return?
Are there places to park at Botanical beach with a trailer?
Part of me is thinking we should skip Tofino because of the drive and it looks touristy. But it does seem to be a major draw too.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #72

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I believe we stayed at Fort Victoria RV for a couple of days, attending a wedding nearby. Not impressed, but it was close to the venue ( a golf club ).
We also stayed at an RV park on the water, a short water-ferry ride or seawall walk to downtown Victoria. That would be my preference if visiting Victoria area. Not cheap and cheek by jowl, but so convenient for downtown restaurants and the museum, Legislature etc.

It might be called Salish Sea RV park now.
Thank you - that looks like fun.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:41 PM   #73

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
While I'm not that familiar with the geography of Vancouver Is, I've taken our fiberglass trailer over to Quadra Is (from I believe Campbell River). Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge/Cape Mudge Resort at the south end of Quadra Is has a wonderful, very small RV campground right on channel looking back over toward Campbell River. It was great fun watching the ships go by. Also, there is a set of linked lakes on Quadra Is which we found great for kayaking.
How many nights would you want there? It sounds terrific.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:15 PM   #74

Name: Stephen
Trailer: On the hunt
British Columbia
Quote:
Part of me is thinking we should skip Tofino because of the drive and it looks touristy. But it does seem to be a major draw too.
Google says French Beach is 1.5 hrs from the Swartz Bay terminal (I assuming you are taking the ferry to Vancouver?). That's pretty accurate depending on time of day. Early morning you'd have to contend with people commuting from Sooke to Victoria.

The Port Angeles ferry is a shorter drive. Again you'd be potentially dealing with commuter traffic in the morning.

There are a few campgrounds in Port Renfrew but I haven't stayed at any. Ususally we'd stay at French or China beach (or AirBnb in the Shirley area). Port Renfrew is where the West Coast trail begins (or ends, depending on which way).

I've stayed at the other end of the west coast trail (Pachena bay) which is absolutely beautiful, but I can't recommend the drive to Pachena/Bamfield to anyone. I have never taken a trailer and I question why anyone tows their stick built there. Just asking for it to fall apart.

As for Tofino. Long beach is pretty amazing. Tofino and Uclulet are cool. Being popular means it has more ammentities (like really good food).

Oh, Rathtrevor beach wasn't on your list. That campground gets crazy in the summer (tons of families on summer vacation). The beach is definitely worth a visit to just relax. It's about 1km to the water at low tide. So a huge sandy beach.

Fanny bay is well known for its oysters if you are into that. Any decent place on the island that serves oysters will have them. There are tons of micro-breweries on the island. Nearly all are excellent. Distilling has taken off as well. Quite a few notable gins now. My favorite being Sheringham's Seaside gin which contains bull kelp.
dubbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #75

Long Beach
Attached Thumbnails
AD LONG 3.jpg  
Old 02-24-2022, 06:48 PM   #76

Qualicum Indian Band RV park.
Attached Thumbnails
eagle again - 1.jpg   Eagle has landed.jpg  

Old 03-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #77

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 17
British Columbia
Quote:
Port Renfrew has a native campground right on the beach at the end of San Juan Bay. From there it’s only a few minutes to drive up to Botanical Beach(choose a time when the tide is low). There are also some good hikes to see some big trees if you are so inclined.
Tsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #78

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Yes you are close enough to Victoria for the ferry.

Couple of things about ferries. Like a few others have said. Take the Coho from Port Angeles to Victoria or you can take the Anacortes ferry to Sidney ferry. Personally I love the drive from Port Angeles to Port Townsend and then down to Union. Pretty drive. Couple of campgrounds on that route. We like the campground at Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge.

If you are coming on BC Ferries try and avoid Friday through Monday as those are the busiest times.

I have not been to Botanical beach in a while. there is probably room for a trailer if it is not to busy. If you go to Google maps and then use the Satellite view, you can see what the parking lot looks like.

Have a great trip.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:27 PM   #79

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Tofino for 4 nights
Gordon Bay 1 night
French Beach 1 night
Goldstream for 2 nights

I let this one run for a few weeks to see where it would go....
Working sort of backwards: The Island and your waiting for September plan.... Two things: Keep in mind that the Island has TWO climates. Once you go over the bridge going north at Campbell River you are going straight WEST and the temperatures will be cooler and will arrive sooner. Another thing to consider is that the North Island empties out of tourists starting on August 15th. I worked at Tel Cove and it's a ghost town after that date. So if it was me and I was dead set on doing the whole Island, including McNeil, Hardy....I'd hop on a ferry in early or mid august and DRIVE straight north....there's lots of places you could spend one night in a campground close to the highway and after a leisurely two day drive you'd be in Hardy and start your "vacation" there... still be assured of the best possible "north island" weather and have plenty of time to do the whole Island!
JMO of course.

Island campgrounds are varied and I'll list them by price point:
Private, premium campgrounds with all bells and whistles (Living Forest)
Private, "ma and pop" operations...a bit funky, some can be real gems
Campgrounds run by non-profits (fish hatcheries, municipal) my favourite
Provincial Parks premium (either for location and/or amenities like showers/kiddie playgrounds) Goldstream/Gordon Bay

Provincial Parks regular, built long ago, large sites, outhouses...nothing much more
Recreational Sites: usually free unless there's a host looking after them for the summer, off the beaten path (gravel roads) but some are only a few miles off the pavement and can/could be the highlight of your whole trip.

Starting from the north end....Port Hardy has a great "non profit" CG called Quatse River CG....close to town, you could even long walk it along the river trail. If you decide to drive to coal Harbour DON'T bring your trailer...nice drive an all but there is NO place to even park there.
In the area you HAVE to go to Storey's beach....fabulous municipal park, great beach with even a free sani-station! but no overnight camping.

Alder Bay is a great spot for what you want to do in the area.
If you were into golf Seven Hills golf course has RV spots for cheap (water/power) and the nine hole course is great and deserted. The views from the RV sites are "million dollar"! I'd stay there even if I didn't golf.

You have kayaks....you may want to stop around Woss and camp at the Woss Lake Rec Site....might be busy on a weekend, but lovely during the week.

I would suggest a few more lakes (dozens) between there and Campbell River but they involve a lot more logging road travel/bushwacking that you might not want to do with an Escape 17

Sayward is worth a stop....there's a nice, well run CG just off the main road, another one on the river on the opposite side of the highway and a third (municipal) right in the middle of the little, very little, town.

Browns Bay as a base for the Campbell River area is not ideal IMO. It's quite a ways out and comes with a rather steep gravel road. Alternates are right in town...on the spit there is a CG that is just a gravel parking lot with trailers stacked like cordwood but within walking distance to EVERYTHING and you can paddle the estuary right there....then there is Elk Falls Provincial Park a couple of miles away that is a beautiful spot on the river (a regular PP campsite)

Moving further south there's Saratoga Beach PP....a "premium" PP CG....with a fabulous beach and a few attractions nearby.
As well as Kitty Coleman PP (non-profit run)...small quieter place, RIGHT ON the Straight of Georgia (throw a rock from your trailer into the water)....lovely spot.

Cumberland??? (Comox Lake) Don't do it unless you're into jet-skis, wakeboard boats and noise. (I live just a few miles from there).
There are alternates close by....in Courtenay and in Comox.

Tofino/Ucluelet??? Well you'll have to do it....or you'll kick yourself.
My pick would be Bella Pacifica....and they still let you overnight at Wallyworld in Port Alberni BTW.

The Pacific Marine Circle Tour is on your list and I love it. Done it twice.
Because of the elevation change, counter clockwise is the way to go IMO.
Gordon Bay is a great place....there's a beautiful 9 hole golf course just beside it that has a very welcoming clubhouse with great food too!

If you got kayaks, you HAVE to stop at Fairy Lake and paddle the lake into the lazy San Juan river and paddle up it for a while....gorgeous spot.

While there is enough room in the parking lot at Botanical Beach for you and your trailer....the drive there is SUPER NARROW...just be aware of that.

French Beach (premium PP) is fine...but there is a large day use /parking area there as well...it can be "busy" (not your wild, deserted, west coast beach if that is what you're after) I would suggest China Beach CG in Juan De Fuca PP. China Beach is a "regular" PP CG with sites spaced far apart. The hike down to the beach is about 20 minutes.....and the beach is WILD.

Sooke is worth a stop....it's got a great CG (non-profit) RIGHT on the river, you can launch your kayaks right beside your trailer....lovely spot.

There is nothing at Goldstream PP CG except for very big trees! If you want to visit Victoria attractions, you might as well stay at Fort Victoria for the same price and be closer in, have wifi and do laundry(?). Keep in mind that it's an "urban" CG though.....HUNDREDS of sites. You only sleep there.

Have a good trip.
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:31 AM   #80

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
thought this link of Coffee Roasters on Vancouver Island might add to your trip

https://www.vicoffeetour.com/tour-map.html

By the way. Kitty Coleman is a beautiful campground, but it is very hard to get into.
have a great trip