Camping USA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Found this site, while searching for something else. If you change the state name in the URL, you can go to that particular information.

This is for Oregon: http://www.camping-usa.com/campgrounds/oregon/

Hope you find it of value.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Donna, we belonged to them for a year and got some good buys but, many times on holiday weekends etc you didn't get the discount, that gets tough on folks who are still working and can only get away on weekends. good for retiree's, but to us it wasn't worth the hassel so we pretty much stick with the state campgrounds especially in Florida where we get 50% off 100% of the time, with year round camping, free fishing as well. over 65 and residents
Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #3

I was just trying to show all the campgrounds in any particular state... not trying to get anyone to buy into anything. Looking at the Oregon map for instance, it shows what's Forest Service, state parks and privately owned. Thought it might be helpful for trip planning more than anything.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Great site Donna - thanks for the link! (Don't see where you have to buy anything - looks like it's free??) Spent some time cruising around, bookmarked the site for future reference.

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna,
That's a good site as i was looking for something free that showed BLM,state and nat'l parks and not just rv parks..... will definately save this one. I like the way it shows everything on the map
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
bookmarked the site for future reference.
I bookmarked the home page.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Ditto. Looks like a free listing

The other poster might have it confused with a similar, membership club.

I also bookmarked the home page. Another arrow in the quiver.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One thing to note is that it does seem to be biased toward private campgrounds and RV parks.

For example, I just looked up Florida, because I know where many of the state parks are in that state. Not one shows up on the map. It actually does not show Florida as having any state parks (which it does have).

I also don't see any state parks or national forest campsites in Minnesota, and I know there are quite a few.

This is not to say it's a bad site, but just that if it does not show state parks or other non-private places, that might not mean they are not there.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5 ft Center Bath
Quote:
One thing to note is that it does seem to be biased toward private campgrounds and RV parks.

For example, I just looked up Florida, because I know where many of the state parks are in that state. Not one shows up on the map. It actually does not show Florida as having any state parks (which it does have).

I also don't see any state parks or national forest campsites in Minnesota, and I know there are quite a few.

This is not to say it's a bad site, but just that if it does not show state parks or other non-private places, that might not mean they are not there.
Hmmmm, I must be missing something because I'm getting everything....when I follow that link it shows all sorts of parks in Oregon, including loads of State ones. Completely unbiased as far as I can tell.

It's particularly timely info for me because I was just planning our May 24 long week-end getaway today so, now I can get ideas of where we'll be staying! Thanks a bunch Donna D.!

Oh, in case you're looking for ONLY State Parks, there's a tab you can click on on the page and it takes you to the State Park listings. Maybe there's just more info for some States than others?
Tracy N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yes, it does show many state parks in Oregon, but not in some other states. I looked up Florida and Minnesota because I know where the state parks and national forests are in those states, to check.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Raya has it right, as far as Florida is concerned, and apparently, probably every state but Oregon, Idaho, and California. I have not camped in these three states, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info on these 3 states.

What's listed for my own county is not very good, mostly old, tired, rv "resorts" that I would not recommend to my friends.... I tried three well-known public (state or county) cg's: Ft. Desoto (using both FT. and Fort), Anastasia, and Bahia Honda, after finally getting to the search screen. Nothing but google ads, except for Anastasia, where four clicks later, I got inaccurate info, probably another commercial campground.

In other words, this would not be helpful in planning a trip to my area, though it may very well be helpful where Donna D. lives.

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:

I thought the same thing when i first went on but i was wrong...... without going into the state parks tab which only shows two states just do the regular search and I did Florida just for the heck of it and it does show state and federal parks but here's where the confusion is that is easily understandable.........
The legend icons at the top of the map show state and federal parks should be black in color and BLM as green in color and all the rest should be blue in color........ the site has a flaw and all the icons are in blue. Just scroll down thru the list of the names on the right side and you will find it or enlarge the map to where you know it is and you will see that the blue icon is a state park where it should be black.... Like i said i did florida and found many but they where all in blue.....hopefully the website will pick up on it and fix the color difference to make state, federal and BLM stick out.... but i sure do like the convenience of looking along a given route and seeing everywhere i can stop.
I also did my home state of PA. and while they where in blue they did show up

Please note: If the state or federal park doesn't have camping it won't show up on this map
Joe
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #13

Registry
Joe Z,
Perhaps my browser is blocking what you're seeing (I use Firefox), but I'm not getting much but private campgrounds in FL.
Yes, I see a few of our many wonderful state, county, and national campgrounds, and they're all indeed in blue, except the featured red icon Blue Springs (which I would love to see, and haven't yet).

Using search brings up mostly google ads. Searching for St. Petersburg campgrounds brings up a broken link, etc.
For my area, it seems like a poor tool, although, as I said earlier, it may be a really good tool elsewhere.
If there is more info than what I've found in the time I'd normally devote to a website (and then some....), this site (at least for Florida) is not very intuitively arranged, IMHO.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #14

Quote:
I was just trying to show all the campgrounds in any particular state... not trying to get anyone to buy into anything. Looking at the Oregon map for instance, it shows what's Forest Service, state parks and privately owned. Thought it might be helpful for trip planning more than anything.
oooooopps, Donna I had the wrong name, when Kathy replied that she didn't see where you had to buy anything it sent me to rooting around, the names are similar. Mine was "Campclubusa" Sorry bout that
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
oooooopps, Donna I had the wrong name, when Kathy replied that she didn't see where you had to buy anything it sent me to rooting around, the names are similar. Mine was "Campclubusa" Sorry bout that
It's okay Bill. Appears the site isn't an end-all, find-everything-you-want-to-know site. But, still I think for some states and some people it will add to their arsenal of information when planning trips.... at least I hope so.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #16

SherrynPaul
it may be a browser thing like you say as i was using Internet Explorer.....Sorry if i stepped on any toes.... just stating what i seen here on this end and the few other states i know well that I checked out did just as good with state and federal campgrounds..... It may be something I'm missing and will check it out further.
Joe
Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #17

I live in Sarasota Fl and just brought up the map on both Mozilla and internet explorer or msn Premium and the maps from a quick look were identical. I have Oscar Sherer right down the road and it showed up on both, but Myakka which is 9 miles east of me is a no show on both.
both are state parks
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #18

Registry
Joe Z,
You didn't step on my toes... no problem here. Hope I didn't step on yours. I'm glad the site is more complete for your state.

I just wouldn't want users to miss a lot of our wonderful Florida parks because this tool doesn't list them. As I said, it seems to give lots of info for certain areas, incomplete for others. Many user guides (including the Woodal's I bought in print form) don't do a very good job with the parks that many of us enjoy. I depend heavily on state websites and state guides that we pick up at welcome centers to help us locate state campgrounds.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #19

SherrynPaul
Thanks
I really like state and federal parks and like you say i wouldn't want to miss any of them because of an incomplete map.
Joe
Old 01-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #20

Registry
Joe,
We've only been able to camp in a few of your beautiful parks (Laurel Highlands area), but we're thru PA at least once a year on our way to western NY to visit family. One of these years, we plan on spending several weeks in PA.
We particularly love the drive on the new "almost interstate" following the Susquehanna.... what a beautiful, relaxing drive from Harrisburg up. It's a little out of our way, but well worth it. You're lucky to have so much in your state to enjoy!
Sherry