Camping World??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #15

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
paul----we spent 2 weeks in the philadelphia-area in early june.

i highly recommend the timberlane campground. it is in new jersey, right across the river from
downtown philly. it is excellent. took less than 15 minutes to get downtown.

as to overnighting at camping world......never yet have found one that actually allowed it.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Registry
Just have to look at the camping world website....it tells you there if it's available
We stayed at one in Michigan.
We are going to stay at one in NJ on our way to Virginia Beach then to NC.
I emailed them & they are fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
When stopping at a WalMart always as permission at the customer service desk, it's the accepted protocol among Wal-Mart campers.
If there are no RV's present, ask because they might want you to park in a certain area.

Also, even if there are "No Overnight Parking" signs posted, ask anyway. They are sometimes posted to make it easier for the manager to get undesirables ejected by the local Constabulary or only enforced if the manager complains.

However, near beaches and popular tourist areas more and more are no longer allowing overnight parking. In SoCal it's almost impossible.

There is a Yahoo Wal-Mart group that maintains a list of Wal-Marts and parking situations.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Walmart

I recently stopped at a walmart in Wisconsin. When I asked at the service desk if they allowed overnight parking the reply was, "I can't tell you yes and I can't tell you no, but you should park on the left side of the lot."
I shared the space with a huge 5th. wheel and a camper van. No problems.
SD.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #19

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Staying overnight in your RV in a Cracker Barrel, Staples, Cabellas or Walmart parking lot? This seems like people are being cheap. If you can't afford camping fees, how do you afford gas?

-- Dan Meyer
Old 09-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Staying overnight in your RV in a Cracker Barrel, Staples, Cabellas or Walmart parking lot? This seems like people are being cheap. If you can't afford camping fees, how do you afford gas?

-- Dan Meyer

Why should I pay camping fees just a few hours sleep?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Although we haven't done that yet, I can see where it might be tempting. If, for instance you're on the way to a distant location and want to maximize the stay in that location; you would travel all day and look for a place to sleep only. Wake up and hit the road again. You're basically looking for a place to sleep, and not concerned with scenery, nature, camp fires, or setting up camp. The atmosphere would no doubt be better in a campground, but you're just sleeping, with little time to absorb nature or your surroundings.

Tom
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #22

California
WalMart etc. Parking

Quote:

-- Dan Meyer
The choice to overnight in parking lots IS NOT only based on cost.....

1. As mentioned, often one is only seeking a 8 hour rest period and is basically, just passing through. As there are by far more WalMarts and other availbale parking lots than camp grounds, and they are usually near hiways, venturing off highway for 30+ miles r/t just doesn't make sense.

2. Pulling into a camp ground, setting up and often having to unhitch is also time consuming and about the last thing you might want to do at the end of the day.

3. In season many campgrounds require reservations, often months in advance. The days of pulling into any-old-campground in season, and expecting a space are long gone.

4. My daily gas bill is about $35 for 150 miles, I'd have to cut my travel days by 1/2 if I also had to pay that much every night for a place to sleep.

5. The reduced cost of using permitted overnight parking in places, such as WalMart, is the very thing that makes it possible for a lot of us on fixed incomes to be able to RV at all..... And with some state camping sites as high as $60 night, ya gotta save there to enjoy being there.

Disclaimer: When travelling between destinations and needing an overnight rest stop, I first look for inexpensive campgrounds, close to my route of travel, for overnighting. Lacking that I use available resources to locate free parking, lacking that I have been known, after first asking permission, to park in the parking lot outside of Police and Fire stations for the purpose of a needed rest break. Never been turned down except when they knew a better place to overnight.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I think if you are just in the travel mode, why not. They are right off the highway most times and like some camp grounds which are take exit so and so go 12 mi turn L go 6 mi bear to R go onto gravel road watch the fork to left make a semi circle on the left watch for the dip. Carl
Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Commercial parking lots

Quote:

-- Dan Meyer
I survive on a small pension. When I am on the road I have to pay out close to one thousand dollars [$1000.00] per month just keep my apartment and related services. Two or three nights in a parking lot equals a full tank of gas which equals about 550 - 600 Km of travel. If the service or amenity is available why would we not take advantage of it? If you want to tag me as cheap that is fine, I don't mind but I will continue to travel the way I do as long as I can afford it. And that means being wise in the use of my resources.
Scouter Dave.
P.S. - Do you purchase all the books your read? Or do you use the services of your local library?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
This has probably been covered but what are people's experiences with truck stops? Seems like their purpose is fuel and a night's sleep.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #26

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I'm currently still working part-time and that includes Thursday nites until 9pm. We like to leave on Thurs as soon as I get off work and travel a couple of hours towards our destination.
All of the above reasons could be ours - these places are very near a major road/highway, we are only staying a few hours, and it means we don't end up arriving after quiet hours at a campground and possibly disturbing others who have already settled in.
Our payback to those businesses gracious enough to extend this privilege is either getting a meal or purchasing some of the perishables we will need on the trip.
We always call to ensure o'nite is allowed and clear with the manager on duty when we arrive.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #27

California
Some are RV friendly, but not all. I have stayed at several Loves truck stops. And, some allow overnighting free with a truck size load of fuel, like $300 worth, or one of their special users cards. You need to ask if and where each time. Gotta tell you, it's never quiet there.....

And look out for the RampRats.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #28

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
This has probably been covered but what are people's experiences with truck stops? Seems like their purpose is fuel and a night's sleep.
We often use Walmart when traveling (as opposed to camping) and other free resources, but I avoid truck stops and lower 48 rest stops because of the noise.

It's interesting to note Dan's objection to free resources. I assume his stance would preclude BLM or National Forest boondocking just to remain consistent.

www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote