Campsite orientation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
We do like baglo when camping with friends, and jockey the RVs around so they somewhat face each other, and have at least one fire pit located in an appropriate spot. Often we only need one table too.

We alone, many times I have jackknifed the trailer to a nicer orientation to the site, and if the site is level and hardpacked, will use the jack wheel to move it a bit too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Those that can pickup the tongue, by hand and rotate the trailer have it made. Once I drop my trailer, hookup to services... I'm done. But my camp chair moves!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Wrong-way Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
My last trip I had a pull-through and didn't really like the idea of having the trailer door facing the street ...
At the Annual Lake Casitas Rally the "Bass" campground is a large circle with an open lawn in the middle and most of the campsites in the outer ring across the access road from this lawn. About 6 campsites are semi-circular pull-through bordering this lawn in the middle along one side of the circle, with the fire pit and picnic table between the lawn and the campsite driveway. The utility pedestal is between the access road and the campsite driveway. I have come to like one of these pull-through sites (#8) in an odd sort of way.

My Fiber Stream's body is not level on its frame but leans about an inch toward the passenger/curbside. If the site is perfectly level side-to-side I need to put each passenger/curbside wheel on one yellow leveling "Lego" brick to bring the refrigerator and floor to level. It looks weird on a RV Resort concrete pad, but it works.

The 1st time I pulled into site #8 the "correct" way I noticed 2 things wrong:
  1. The trailer was 2-1/2" out-of-level toward the passenger/curbside
  2. As a gregarious person, I felt I was turning my back to all of the other campers.
#1 means 3 layers of Lego bricks to level the refrigerator and a stepladder to enter the trailer. I did not have a stepladder with me nor enough Lego bricks to stack 3 layers high long enough for 2 axles.

So I left the site and drove around entering the access road from the "wrong" direction and pulled the Fiber Stream into the site backwards. The trailer was perfectly level, no Legos required! And I could set up my awning to face the access road and visit with anyone out walking their dog or just walking.

This however has its own consequences. I now have a 50' - 30amp extension cord to reach the pedestal, 50' of TV cable to reach the pedestal, and 50' of white hose to reach the water spigot. And I ignore the fire pit and picnic table behind the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1037.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Campsite Orientation Improvement Action Plan

I call it the Campsite Orientation Improvement Action Plan. Sometimes I get a spot that just begs to have the camper rotated for an even better view, especially with a stream in the back yard.

The first photo shows the camper as backed straight in. I was not able to jackknife it as there was no more room on that side. Instead, I just swung the hitch around by hand as there was a slight slope there. To get it back out later, I put a medium grade chain on the hitch, hooked it to the pickup and just pulled it back around.

I was tempted to do the same at the other site, but that was in a developed National Forest site and the host may not have been too pleased with the marks in the sand.
Attached Thumbnails
NF 4.jpg   NF 6.jpg  

NF Campground.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #19

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those that can pickup the tongue, by hand and rotate the trailer have it made. Once I drop my trailer, hookup to services... I'm done. But my camp chair moves!
That's that's my wife Kathrine lets me go camping with her. When I can no longer swing the Scamp it's off to the Farewell Bend Campground for me.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I picked this beautiful campsite which really wasn't trailer friendly. I wanted to sit under my awning and look out to the lake so I worked for about 20 minutes jack-knifing the Scamp into postion. As you can see there was a tree that caused a little difficultly but I did it.
Attached Thumbnails
2003-4-11 Millerton Lake site #23 CA 2.jpg  
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
In the past we have gone parallel to the road with the door facing the campsite for privacy or view. And wrong sided the door in order to face another family members camper. Drag the table around and shared a fire pit. Good times!

Did stay at one campsite that did not allow wrong side orientation to create a communal site. Said it was fire code. I'm darn sure if the campground is on fire I'm not hooking up the camper.... I'm a leaving.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrimm View Post
When I can no longer swing the Scamp it's off to the Farewell Bend Campground for me.
Norm

Did you mean this one?
Farewell Bend Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews

Or is it the campground from which no one returns?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Joy,
I am impressed both by the view you obtained and your parking skills. That took some real doing to get that in there. I have seen females who have enough space to parallel park an 18-wheeler pulled by a 20-mule team but still end up at least 3 feet from the curb and after bumping both the vehicles in front and behind them. The transmission and clutch were probably a little warm by the time you got it in there, but hey, the view was worth it.

Those are the kinds of times where a 4-foot extension on the TV hitch would come in real handy. You could make a jackknife orientation without wrapping the trailer hitch around the side of the TV, as well as kissing the front corner of the Scamp. That tree probably gets nervous every time it sees a small camper getting anywhere near the site, and probably has the scrapes in its bark to prove it.

There is a compliment to you some where in there!!J
Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #24

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
Norm

Did you mean this one?
Farewell Bend Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews

Or is it the campground from which no one returns?
I can't say for certain Brian, only speculate. It is located just upstream from the Rogue River Gorge where the entire river narrows to a few feet and drops 100' to the rocks below. Be careful what you say about the women Jim if you ever come to Oregon. There's always room at the Farewell Bend and only women pulling their RV's out in the morning.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Farewell Bend ?

There's at least two in Oregon, one a State Park on the Snake River and the other a Forest Service Park on the Rogue River. They're located almost as far apart as possible and still be in Oregon.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Did stay at one campsite that did not allow wrong side orientation to create a communal site. Said it was fire code. I'm darn sure if the campground is on fire I'm not hooking up the camper.... I'm a leaving.
I hear you on that one. We had a meeting on fire safety at work a few months back. They told us to meet in the parking lot for a head count...the parking lot of a hangar full of glass windows, on fire with 100+ jets on it. I told them to look for the tire smoke heading out of the drive, that'll be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrimm View Post
I can't say for certain Brian, only speculate. It is located just upstream from the Rogue River Gorge where the entire river narrows to a few feet and drops 100' to the rocks below. Be careful what you say about the women Jim if you ever come to Oregon. There's always room at the Farewell Bend and only women pulling their RV's out in the morning.
Sounds like an eagles song.