Cape Hatteras campgrounds with hook-ups? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Starting to plan the first trip of the season down to Cape Hatteras, NC. Anyone have any advice on a good waterfront campground with hook-ups. I like the idea of the seclusion at the national park, but AC hook up is key due to the fact that my wife will be spending more time in the trailer than me, and she really likes having the TV, AC, and other conveniences. I plan bringing my Sea Kayak and doing some exploring. Current plans have me heading down on April 19th.
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 1976
I have been to Huntington state park in South Carolina ans I will be there on 04/26. Very nice park with electicity, water, etc. You can Walk to the sea! . Myrtle Beach State Park (larger) is nice also. But in april/may, I'm not sure you will need AC!!!
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...-park/1020.aspx
My pictures:
http://www.marcbarriere.com/?p=248
+
http://www.marcbarriere.com/?p=249
Marc Barrière is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
I have been to Huntington state park in South Carolina ans I will be there on 04/26. Very nice park with electicity, water, etc. You can Walk to the sea! . Myrtle Beach State Park (larger) is nice also. But in april/may, I'm not sure you will need AC!!!
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...-park/1020.aspx
My pictures:
http://www.marcbarriere.com/?p=248
+
http://www.marcbarriere.com/?p=249
I was at the Huntington Beach SP a couple years ago in January for a Kayak Camp. That was pre Casita, so I stayed in one of the cabins there. Very nice place, and just one sand dune from the water. It was still pretty chilly there in late January, but we did have a couple days that got to 60 degrees. Great weather for kayaking.

I am looking to do the Cape Hatteras area this time, never been there. Currently looking a the Cape Hatteras KOA. Anyone ever been there? Are there better camp grounds in that area close to the water? I have looked at the weather history and you are right, we may not need the AC, but there is a chance it could get into the 80's, and for this New Englander, after a loooong winter, that is hot.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We're from eastern NC and visit that area several times each year. There are three oceanside commercial campgrounds (all in the Avon/Rodanthe area) that I'd recommend - Ocean Waves, Camp Hatteras and KOA. Ocean Waves is the least expensive (I did not say cheap), Camp Hatteras the most costly. If you just want somewhere to sleep, there are several other private options but, if the missus is gonna be hanging around the camper a lot, I wouldn't suggest them.

You might consider Frisco Woods which is five miles or so south of the Hatteras Light - its on the sound side but has full hookup water front sites and, if you're looking for places to kayak, this is a better base for that in my opinion.

Personally, any of the four Federal campgrounds are better than the private offerings but, as you've noted, no hookups available. I doubt you'll need the AC in late April - maybe use an inverter for the TV?

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to give em my best shot.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Personally, any of the four Federal campgrounds are better than the private offerings but, as you've noted, no hookups available. I doubt you'll need the AC in late April - maybe use an inverter for the TV?

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to give em my best shot.

Al
I do have a Yamaha 2400i generator. Are there any rules about running them at the Federal Campgrounds?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I do have a Yamaha 2400i generator. Are there any rules about running them at the Federal Campgrounds?
Just the normal 'quiet time' rules - 10:00 PM to 7:AM, I think.

We were at Frisco this past weekend and we were quite comfortable with the windows and one vent open. Lots of whip-poor-wills and surf to serenade us to sleep.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote