Cape Perpetua, S. of Newport OR - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We have some time between Ft Stevens and Bullards and wondered if anyone has stayed at Cape Perpetua campground. More rustic I expect. Missed this last year on the way to the Oregon Gathering.

Nancy in No. MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've been to Cape Perpetua several times. There's lots of stuff to do in the area including the visitors center. For complete information go here.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #3

Thanks Byron.

The reservation site says there is a one car limit per camp site, but in another spot I read that an extra car was additional. Any thoughts on that? Also, do you think I could chance it without a reservation on a Tuesday. I've got Ft Stevens and Bullards locked in but was planning on no reservation Tuesday night. Last year we had no trouble mid week at the State Parks. This year according to the reservations it looks like everything gets booked.

This does look like an interesting area. Hope one night will give me enough time to enjoy.

Nancy
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #4

Registry
I really don't know what the chances are mid week of finding an empty site. You can check with reserve america to see how they're filling up at the moment. You don't have to get reservations to do that.

Here's another FS site showing a few more campgrounds near Cape Perpetua.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Nancy,

I've found the Oregon coast to be a little iffy in the summer months. It's a very popular area. You just never know how full the campgrounds will be. If you don't make reservations you definitely need to get to the campground early in the day because by mid afternoon they'll most likely be full.

I spend a lot of time on the Oregon coast every year and generally don't make reservations south of Bullards. However, from Bullards north I've found the SP's to be more popular, therefore harder to get into without reservations.

I had never stayed in Southside SP near Newport until this last August. It's the first time that I had gotten there and found a vacancy sign. There were not very many sites available though. My impression about this is that we had record high gas prices on the west coast this last summer. I found that RV travel in general seemed to be down, from home to Alaska and back down along the WA, OR and N. CA. coasts. There was not the trunk to tail RV's along the coast as usual. I went miles and miles before meeting another RV. That's generally not the case. Quite the contrary you often find the travel along the coast very slow because of the many RV's and windy roads.

Don't know if people have really accepted the gas prices, that still remain very high, and will travel more this summer or opt not to. Having said that, it's only an hour to two hour drive from I-5 and a mass of humanity. If it's hot like the past few summers they'll be driven to the coast in droves.

So you are really coming out West, huh!! I've been contemplating not going East until next year. Not sure if it's because I've got a cold and am tired but, the long trip just seems longer and longer to me lately. Maybe I need a rest in between my lengthly wonderful Alaska trip and a trip east. I do need to make up my mind soon as if I'm going I need to make reservations around the July 4th holiday.

One way or the other it will be nice to meet you two. I do have reservations for the Oregon Gathering so that's not a problem if I decide to cancel the trip east.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Nancy,

I forgot to mention that some parks allow one vehicle at the site but do have additional parking available for extra cars, a slight fee.

It been sometime since I've stayed at Cape Perpetua as it's close to Florence where my Aunt lives. So in recent years I've just stop at turnouts and traveled by. I can't quite remember the layout. For some reason I don't see it in my book of campground brouchures and maps.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #7

Joy,

Thanks for the good information. So, last summer was not normal? Glad you pointed that out and really glad I got my locked in days at Ft Stevens and Bullards. I think I will make the reservation at Cape Perpetua or somewhere else just to be sure of a spot.

The reason we missed stopping off at Cape Perpetua was because we did have traffic that day and pulling the little trailer did not make quick decisions easy. However having the little trailer did allow us to make some stops on our side of the road that the bigger rigs had to pass right on by.

Just the other night someone local told me we are suppose to have another very hot summer. I look forward to the Oregon coast during the part of the summer I hate here. Driving across that hot country is not fun.

Our winter has been very, very mild. Fred went ice fishing up at Lake of the Woods. Someone assured me they have enough ice to drive on. Our local lake has the access blocked off so trucks can't go out. Usually people use the lake as a parking lot this time of year. No snow up north either, too bad the Denver area can't send us some of theirs.

Oops, I guess this is a bit too long. Sorry all.

Nancy from up north.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #8

Registry
As has been pointed out, the Oregon coast can get a bit crowded at times. Now for a little secret. Look inland 10 to 30 miles for a Forest Service or county campground. On a Tuesday those usually will have space. If not go back on a Forest Service road and look for a place to pull off the road, no fees, no lights, no people, real boondocking.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #9

Thanks Byron for the suggestions.

We would love to do inland Oregon, just not in July. Kind of have my sights set on Cape Perpetua so will make a reservation there and be sure of a spot.

I don't quite understand the reserveusa/america sites. Cape P is a US forest spot so I would think the rates would have a discount for people with the golden age pass (they do in MN). The cost mentioned online is $20. For fun I checked the price of something in MN that also had no lower price for the local place. Maybe the parks have changed? Or maybe reserveusa just doesn't bother with passes. I'll call before making my reservation.

I really don't mind spending the full rate to support our parks, but I'll take the discount if offered.

Nancy in sunny, warm norther MN
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #10

Registry
I wasn't talking very far inland, 10 to 30 miles via road at the most. At those miles you're still on the coast side of the coast range of mountains.

PNW National Forests allow camping anyplace except where clearly marked "No Camping" and there isn't very many of those.

State Campgrounds don't honor "Golden Age Passports" or what ever the new name is. (Mine is Golden Age)

Cape Perpetua is a Federal Campground, thus 1/2 price for Golden Age Passport holders. I would suggest that you call Reserve America and ask them how you get your discount. I've never used Reserva America for Federal Campgrounds. When paying at the campground there's a place on the pay envelope to put your Golden Age Passport number.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Cape Perpetua is a Federal Campground, thus 1/2 price for Golden Age Passport holders.
When a federal campground is run by a concessionaire, there's no guarantee that the 50% discount for Golden Age Passports still applies. From the National Forest website: Concessionaire Fees: Some campsites are run by private parties known as concessionaires. Discounts may or may not apply depending on how their permits or contracts are written.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
When a federal campground is run by a concessionaire, there's no guarantee that the 50% discount for Golden Age Passports still applies. From the National Forest website: Concessionaire Fees: Some campsites are run by private parties known as concessionaires. Discounts may or may not apply depending on how their permits or contracts are written.

Jeanne
May be so, but I've never never seen a Forest Service campground that didn't honor Golden Age passports. I know that some of the campgrounds in National Parks don't honor the passport.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
We camped at Cape Perpetua last August and it was nearly empty.
It was the week before Labor Day though. Maybe that was a slow week.
Mike Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #14

We too had no problem finding spots mid week last year, but that may have been because of high gas prices keeping people home?

I don't think it was probably necessary to make a reservation for the night of July 17 but it is nice to know that we have a spot reserved in case for some reason everyone takes their vacation that week!

The online price was $20. I called in my reservation and they said I will be charged $19. So they did use our Golden Age Passport. The very nice man taking my reservation said they are working on the web site so that people with passes will be able to use them online. He did not say when that will be. So, if you have a pass and want a reduction in rate call instead of making the reservation online.

Nancy
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Nancy

Perhaps after you leave Bullard's you might have a day or two to spend at Silver Falls near Salem. That would be an excellent interior experience.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #16

Thanks Paul,

We would love to see the Silver Falls area. Last year it was just too hot to do anything inland. We roasted when we did stuff outside of the car in the high desert area. We do love waterfalls so it will stay on the list if weather permits. We found the coast so delightful last July that we want to spend the hot days there. Of course there is a lot between MN and OR so we will try to hit some more things. Did the high desert, volcano, lava stuff and John Day areas on the way home last year. We enjoyed the Redwoods, Lassen, and Crater Lake. It wasn't too hot up high. Fred got in a hike at Lassen the day after the trail opened. Burney Falls may be the pretties we have ever seen. It was too hot there to stay too.

Maybe this year we can tackle Silver Falls. Thanks for the reminder, hope the weather permits.

Nancy from northern MN, still without snow.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Paul,

We would love to see the Silver Falls area. Last year it was just too hot to do anything inland. We roasted when we did stuff outside of the car in the high desert area. We do love waterfalls so it will stay on the list if weather permits. We found the coast so delightful last July that we want to spend the hot days there. Of course there is a lot between MN and OR so we will try to hit some more things. Did the high desert, volcano, lava stuff and John Day areas on the way home last year. We enjoyed the Redwoods, Lassen, and Crater Lake. It wasn't too hot up high. Fred got in a hike at Lassen the day after the trail opened. Burney Falls may be the pretties we have ever seen. It was too hot there to stay too.

Maybe this year we can tackle Silver Falls. Thanks for the reminder, hope the weather permits.

Nancy from northern MN, still without snow.

I live about 10 miles from Silver Falls State Park. Silver Falls is usually cool even on the hottest days. If you like to hike a bit Silver Falls has a real nice loop hike, much of it in the bottom of the canyon. If the loop is more than you want can shorten it and do only about 1/2 the full loop. Come back the next day and finish the loop. The canyon bottom is several degrees cooling than on the rim in the summer. Some of the waterfalls the trail goes behind the falls. One even has benches behind the falls so you can and get a rocks eye view of falls.

It sound like you were in Oregon during the hottest days we had last summer. The high desert is usually quite hot in the summer, but cools down when the sun goes down.

The area between the Cascades and the ocean is usually fairly moderate in temperature.