Cape Point (Hatteras) CG Open Until Nov 30 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Cape Point (Hatteras) CG Open Until Nov 30

I was checking to see when the Outer Banks campgrounds closed for the year so I could schedule my Fall trip. When I checked earlier this summer, Cape Point was scheduled to close right after Labor Day. Now it says open until Nov 30.

When I was there 2 years ago, the ranger said he was trying to convince the National Park Service to keep Cape Point open into November. Seems he was successful.

If any of you decide to go to Cape Point, unless they have changed it, this is a self register campground. Just drive in, find a campsite, and go back and register and pay. The first campsites are for tent campers as they don't have a paved area for RV parking. Some people with RVs camp there, but if you go several rows in, you will find campsites better suited for rvs.

Cold showers, bathrooms, and potable water are the only amenities. It is my favorite campground on the Outer Banks for a couple of reasons. 1) it is in a park like area. The lighthouse is in this area, as well as the old light house area where there is lifeguard swimming (in the summer). There is a fish cleaning station and access to the beach for 4 wheel drive vehicles, ocean fishing, and a nature trail. 2) nearby grocery shopping, tackle shops, restaurants, gas stations, etc.

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Thanks for the information. We will be in the Carolinas in September and already have a senior pass.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for this info Huck. Traditionally, Cape Point has opened later and closed earlier than any of the four Cape Hatteras NS campgrounds so this is indeed a surprise. Looks like our OBX camping season just got extended.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Virginia
Just got an update from NPS - Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Frisco and Oregon Inlet are closed for year.
Ocracoke has reopened and will close on Oct 26. Can reserve through recreation.gov
Cape Point has standing water and will re-open when water has receded and close on Nov 30. First come/first serve.

To register for Ocracoke, go here Facility Details - OCRACOKE CAMPGROUND, NC - Recreation.gov

For info for all Cape Hatteras campgrounds go to http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm.

At the top, if it says There are park Alerts in Effect (in red), click on alerts to see if Cape Point is still closed. If the alerts are gone, I assume that means Cape Point is open.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
During our evening walk I counted at least half a dozen dune sites available at Ocracoke tonight. There is certainly no need for reservations. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Raz

Smile Having an Eggfest

Most times we're the only egg here. But, currently there is a Casita 17, an Escape 19' and a Uhaul VT. Now if only a Scamp and a Parkliner would how up..... Raz
Old 10-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Most times we're the only egg here. But, currently there is a Casita 17, an Escape 19' and a Uhaul VT. Now if only a Scamp and a Parkliner would how up..... Raz
I'm heading to Cape Point with my Parkliner when they finally reopen it. The Park Service has been terrible at keeping people informed.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I'm heading to Cape Point with my Parkliner when they finally reopen it. The Park Service has been terrible at keeping people informed.
It would not surprise me if that happened soon. There's been strong winds all night and into today and predicted to continue tomorrow with lots of sun. The highway side of the campground has had a good size pond all week. Today it's gone. Raz
Old 10-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Raz

Quote:
It would not surprise me if that happened soon. There's been strong winds all night and into today and predicted to continue tomorrow with lots of sun. The highway side of the campground has had a good size pond all week. Today it's gone. Raz
Wrong! I asked at the office here on Ocracoke. The gal made a call. Two feet of water on the Hatteras lighthouse road, so it's closed. The Cape Point campground is also still flooded. Picnic tables are under water. Not likely to be open any time soon. Sorry Huck. Ocracoke is open until Sunday. Raz
Old 10-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Wrong! I asked at the office here on Ocracoke. The gal made a call. Two feet of water on the Hatteras lighthouse road, so it's closed. The Cape Point campground is also still flooded. Picnic tables are under water. Not likely to be open any time soon. Sorry Huck. Ocracoke is open until Sunday. Raz
Thanks for info. I check the NPS web site every day, but they rather post about turtles than when the campground and access ramps might be re-opening.

I'm thinking of waiting until Thanksgiving week. If the sun is shining, it would be a nice place to be and if there are no more big storms, the flooding should be over. If not, I either head to Myrtle Beach or wait until next year.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #11

Thanks for all the updates. We just returned from two plus weeks in the Four Corners area and Big Bend NP but would like to get in one more OBX trip this Fall. If anyone planning to be there would like some company, post your dates here and we may be able to join you.

Al
Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #12

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
sweet
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #13

Virginia
It's been well over a month since the storm and Cape Point campground is still closed. I think this is called running out the clock.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
It's been well over a month since the storm and Cape Point campground is still closed. I think this is called running out the clock.
Hi Huck,

Like you, I was excited about the announcement of an extended season at least one Cape Hatteras campground but I was surprised to see they'd chosen Cape Point. Its the largest of the four but, for me, the least desirable. It floods easily, doesn't drain well and has no nearby dunes or vegetation making even minimal wind a threat to awnings, screen rooms, shelters and tents. It has always opened last and closed first (I presume due to low usage). The biggest attraction in the past was its proximity to the Point for surf fishermen and beach goers but, with the beach closings in that area, that's no longer a plus.

I was hoping to get another coastal trip in this year but it now looks more likely that we'll head up to the Smokies for a few days sometime late next week.

Al