Catalina State Park, AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Happy New Year everyone. For those of you who are snowed in and only dreaming of a camping trip, I thought that I would share my weekend at Catalina State Park near Tucson, AZ. First of all, the weather was absolutely grand.........high 60s and lots of sun, and lows were in the mid 30's. I chose to stay in the no hookup sites to save some money ($15 a night). My LP furnace kept me toasty warm, and perked my coffee on the stove top. I enjoyed a couple of the shorter hikes that I had not previously taken. I also had three road-runners hanging around my campsite when I was setting up camp. I got a picture of one of them before they took off. The coyotes were baying at the moon about 2 am again too.........makes me glad to be in a solid trailer! I did take an ambitious hike this trip too......was a tad over 14 miles roundtrip. It went up the mountain to Romero Pools (where I would usually turn around to make a nearly 6 mile roundtrip). The water was lots higher and the pools very full this time with the snow melt and recent rains. Anyway, the trail headed on up Romero Canyon at first following the streambed. The fresh air, the sounds of the gurgling water and the birds made the next 4.5 miles of trail go quick (and a gain of 3,000 feet in elevation). I even hiked by some bits and pieces of snow at the 6,000 foot elevation (nothing for you all that are up to your eyebrows, but I have not seen snow in person in nearly 10 years now). The scenery just got more and more beautiful the further into the canyon/up the mountain. The pictures don't really do it justice, but I will include several shots. The trip back down the canyon went pretty well, less labored breathing anyway. The trail crosses the streams several times and in the process of one of the crossings, I slipped a bit and twisted my knee (not severely anyway). The last three miles down the mountain were a bit slow as I couldn't hardly bend my right leg and boy did it hurt by then. But, I preservered and made it back to my car nearly 9 hours after I had left it there. I was happy to get back to the Scamp, turn on the heat, take some aspirin, and relax and watch the beautiful sunset. What a great weekend to start out the new year. On a side note, it did rain almost all day today, so that even made the weekend look that much better. So, if any of you are avid hikers (or ambitious like me) I would recommend the hike all the way up Romero Canyon. I hope that this recount of my adventure helps to brighten some of your days of being snowed in or awaiting your own camping trips.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1624.JPG   DSCF1626.JPG  

DSCF1638.JPG   DSCF1637.JPG  

Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #2

Registry
Some pics from my 14 mile hike.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1648.JPG   DSCF1650.JPG  

DSCF1657.JPG  
Old 01-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #3

Registry
And yet a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1658.JPG   DSCF1668.JPG  

DSCF1672.JPG  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hey chris....looks like a fantastic area to camp, and to hike! i envy you!!! we here in new brunswick have about 18 inches of snow and today was bright, crisp early in the day but by the time i emerged from work at 330. (i am a nurse) it was mild--well, mild for us!! [at] -4 C and sunny....so your arizona temps are most appealing...

were you the sole hiker/camper?
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
nice photos, thanks for posting
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #6

Registry
Hi Theresa,
Yes, I was hiking alone and enjoying the solitude. Felt like it was a million miles away from everything. The sounds of the mountain stream is almost intoxicating too! There were only a few other hikers in the remote area. I count my blessings to have such nice winter weather here!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Great Pictures Chris..... Can't wait to get back out there
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
nice shots.

I am one of the snowbounds and my original intent for the new year was to meander over that way.

Now I have a destination for next year!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Chris - thanx for the super photos and a great narrative. We'll have to put this park on our list. Hope your knee is mended and feeling better now. Will we see you at Dome Rock next month? Take care, L 'n D
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Chris,

I have not explored the Tuscon area winter camping, this spot will go on my "to see" list, thanks for sharing. I have explored spots around Yuma in the winter mostly, Tuscon is on the list now. Hope the knee is better. Thanks for the pics of the area, great to see them.

Harry & Kenna
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Your the envy of all of us who are still freezing our hineys off!! BLAAAAAAA
I think Az is so beatiful......... such beautiful pictures....
Dont ya see those rattle snakes in those hills?
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Quote:
Hi Theresa,
Yes, I was hiking alone and enjoying the solitude. Felt like it was a million miles away from everything. The sounds of the mountain stream is almost intoxicating too! There were only a few other hikers in the remote area. I count my blessings to have such nice winter weather here!
you are some lucky guy, chris, that your injury wasn't more severe....considering that you were alone and the chance of meeting another camper/hiker was slim. are there many rattle snakes in this park? ...and do you often see snakes on your hikes?
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #13

Registry
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the kind words. My knee is all better after a days rest........ready to hit the trail again but work gets in the way yet. Yes, there are snakes in the park (what kinds I do not know). I have only seen one on the trail for the several times that I have been there. There have been some in the campground area. The one that I remember most was laying in the shade stretched out parallel with the Men's room door. (I'm told it was a Coach Whip snake). Sure gave me a start, then it moved over to another area by the bubbler/water fountain. We learn to just keep a cautious eye out and that is more so in the summer months. There were also several jack rabbits (tall suckers) roaming the campground around 11 pm-ish. It's always an adventure to be out and about.....makes me really enjoy the Scamp and being up off the ground! I hope to make the Quartzsite gathering too, but can't commit just yet. Happy trails everyone.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Catalina really is a great park.
I picked up my Fiberstream from there a few years ago and stayed for the week.
Those Jackrabbits freaked me out too!
Attached Thumbnails
RearViewTruckCap.jpg  
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I went to the showers early in the morning to avoid the crowd and often heard things moving around underfoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Moonlight.jpg  
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #16

Registry
Yes. always be aware of what may be in your path! I don't do snakes, and some other things can really give you a start.