Chaco Canyon Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Anyone been to Chaco Canyon in NM in recent years? We would like a recommendation on a nearby state park, RV park, wide place in the road, to stay at for a visit we are planning this month.

Thanks!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
There is a campground at Chaco Canyon, check their web page
and call ahead for conditions. They were working on the sewers.
If you are coming in from the south, the northwest new mexico
visitors center has some current conditions and maps, very helpful
people.
I'm staying at Bar S in Grants, New Mexico, nice park very
reasonable. (actuallly Milan). Blue Spruce is owned by the
same folks.
Chaco Canyon is on my must see list. Not sure what day I
will be going.
HTH,
DanM

Quote:
Anyone been to Chaco Canyon in NM in recent years? We would like a recommendation on a nearby state park, RV park, wide place in the road, to stay at for a visit we are planning this month.

Thanks!
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Thanks Dan. I've heard the road into the Canyon is very rough, and I've vowed "No More Washboards" pulling the Casita, so I will check out the RV parks you listed.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft 1984
Quote:
Thanks Dan. I've heard the road into the Canyon is very rough, and I've vowed "No More Washboards" pulling the Casita, so I will check out the RV parks you listed.
Chaco is indeed a lifetime "must see". There is a very nice campground within the park with space for RVs, but it does fill quickly, and yes, washboards are likely, but the night sky and the feel of he place is incredible, with Ranger sponsered star viewing programs common.
There is a little known private campground just outside the south entrance, well worth the work to investigate, because Grants is quite far away, and you will want more than one day in Chaco. Now is a great time to visit as it gets very hot there by June. I would call the Rangers at the park nd see if they have any info on the campground outside the park.
Another feature of the area is the Crownpoint rug auction. The south entrance of the park is right next to the Navajo town of Crownpoint, where once a month Navajo women travel up to hundreds of miles to sell their hand woven Navajo rugs at an auction held in the Cafeteria-Gym of the local elementry school. Everyone is welcome, dealers come from around the world to buy, and some incredible deals are to be had on these works of art, and if nothing else, it is an American cultural experience like no other. It is usually held the second Friday of each month.
http://www.crownpointrugauction.com/
Will Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

It has been some time since we have been there, we entered by the South, exited by the North/East. South was longer on dirt and rougher. You might want to call the Park and ask about road conditions. Can't help with info on campgrounds outside of the Park. I remember some forest service campgrounds near Cuba, NM.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/recreation/dis...ex.html#camping

There is BLM camping are at Angel Peak Nat'l Rec Area: http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreatio...Angel_Peak.html

The best route I believe is the northern entrance: turn off US 550 at CR 7900--3 miles southeast of Nageezi and approximately 50 miles west of Cuba (at mile 112.5). This route is clearly signed from US 550 to the park boundary (21 miles). The route includes 8 miles of paved road (CR 7900) and 13 miles of rough dirt road (CR7950), this would be the best route in. If you want a wide place to stay, if there is one close to were CR 7900 turns into or onto the dirt road. That would be the closes place to leave the trailer with only the 13 miles of dirt road to travel to your unit.

We have gone in twice, the first route we went in is now closed, the second time we went in from the Crownpoint way and it was long and rough, we went out towards Nageezi which was less on dirt and not as rough, but that can change from time to time. I would like to go again with the egg, we did not have it when we went before. It is a long drive pulling a trailer due to having to go slow in the rough. But I have not taken our egg over rough roads yet so no personal experience to offer.

On many of the maps (on the offical NM state map for sure), the northern route has the roads going into the park from Nageezi which is the way we went in our first time. However, the road into the park is closed because it went right by Pubelo Bonito and the traffic vibrations were causing damage to it. http://www.nps.gov/chcu/planyourvisit/traf...dtraveltips.htm As listed the new route is 3 miles southeast of Nageezi. There was a trading post at Nageezi, if still there, they may let you park there? There seems to be a Bed & Breakfast Inn. Nageezi Trading Post. Nageezi, NM 87037. 505-632-3646 If no luck at Nageezi Trading Post, north of Nageezi is Blanco Trading Post 12341 Highway 550, Bloomfield, NM 87413 (505) 632-121

Below are links to discussions on Chaco:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...42&hl=Chaco

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...40&hl=Chaco

http://www.explorenm.com/camping/Chaco/

We have been there twice, but it has been many years since we were last there (1996 I believe). I want to go again. I believe I will take my time on the dirt road and take the egg in. Good luck, give us a report of how it went and where you stayed. Coming from Tucson, it would be a much longer trip to enter by the north. I would think, the road conditions would vary. The south would have more dirt road to cover, but much closer to reach from your location. I can not remember anything over there to suggest. Someone recommended letting the air out of the trailer tires when traveling on the dirt to give the trailer a smoother ride. Not sure if they said how much, I'd guess from 50lbs to 30lb would work. But remember to take along an air pump to fill them after getting back on good roads if you happen to change you mind. Happy trails. After viewing the videos, the south road may now be better than the north?

AW

YouTube visits Chaco

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft

Went to Chaco Canyon yesterday. It was great.
Took the south road in and out. Only took my truck, left my
Casita at home.
Park personal said the north and south road were about the same
as far as rough road goes.
The road was dry and very ruff. I don't think I would pull my
Casita over it. Large rocks in the road, washboard, large bumps,
rough cattle gaurds. Deep ruts where it had been driven when wet.

HTH,
DanM

Quote:
It has been some time since we have been there, we entered by the South, exited by the North/East. South was longer on dirt and rougher. You might want to call the Park and ask about road conditions. Can't help with info on campgrounds outside of the Park. I remember some forest service campgrounds near Cuba, NM.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/recreation/dis...ex.html#camping
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote