Channel Islands NP-Whales Watching - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
These are the pictures from Channel Islands-Whales Watching boat tour that I posted about before. I camped in the parking lot. They will give you a permit so that you can camp in the lot. It's dry camping and free. Boat tour 26 bucks. Lot's of Dolphins too and birds. Feeding frenzy as well. Very cool/fun.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eastman_camp...camps/my_photos

Please, enjoy
A.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Andy,

Thanks for the posting. LA Audubon uses Island Packers for bird trips--I didn't know they'd let you stay in the lot overnight. Next time I'll just make a weekend of it!

Thanks for the pictures--they brought back some memories of some great trips on those fast catamarans. The porpoises surfing along on the bow wave, thousands of birds swirling around a school of fish that other porpoises were herding, laughing as the boat rode waves at 25-30 knots (the original E-ticket ride), having the guides note that they know that particular killer whale...good memories. (However, I'm not going to show them to my husband--his memories are not quite so picturesque. Or pleasant.)

(LA Audubon Society runs bird trips several times a year. For non-birders, Island Packers runs whale trips and takes people to and from the Channel Islands daily, which means you can just spend the day and don't have to carry camping gear. I don't believe they go to Avalon, but the other islands are great for hiking. A professional, fun group with comfortable boats. They're on the web at www.islandpackers.com.)

Thanks, again.

Marian
Orange County, CA
marian a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Yeah, Island Packers was the place. I was going to skip it. As I was driving away I thought I'd ask if I could camp out in the lot and take the trip the next morning. No problem. So I did a U Turn and the rest is history. I didn't hike around the Islands. I just took the 3, 3 1/2 hour tour.

Worth every penny. And those people on the boat are great, fun, professional, knowledgeable....Very Cool job for sure.

I'm very glad you enjoyed the pictures.
Peace
A.
[quote]
Andy,

Thanks for the posting. LA Audubon uses Island Packers for bird trips--I didn't know they'd let you stay in the lot overnight. Next time I'll just make a weekend of it!
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote