Cheaper Camping? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Shay
Trailer: 16' Casita (pending pick-up)
California
Cheaper Camping?

I went camping in a scamp last weekend for the first time. Had a great time, however, was shocked at the prices of camp spots at the local camp grounds.

We were in a 13' scamp, not using any hookups. I basically wanted a tent site, not a full blown RV site. I couldn't get one. The first night, we paid around $50 for a spot near Napa. The next night, we packed up and drove a bit towards the coast to Olima, and got a spot there for $42.

That's more than some cheap motels, with bed linens, showers, and a TV!

Anyone camp away from the RV campgrounds and not pay the fees? How does that work, and how do you find spots where you can drop anchor for the night? I want to be out in nature more anyway, not listening to someone's generator and seeing their TV flicker through their window.

Please help! Camping in a tiny fiberglass trailer has to be cheaper than this!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaymus View Post
I went camping in a scamp last weekend for the first time. Had a great time, however, was shocked at the prices of camp spots at the local camp grounds.

We were in a 13' scamp, not using any hookups. I basically wanted a tent site, not a full blown RV site. I couldn't get one. The first night, we paid around $50 for a spot near Napa. The next night, we packed up and drove a bit towards the coast to Olima, and got a spot there for $42.

That's more than some cheap motels, with bed linens, showers, and a TV!

Anyone camp away from the RV campgrounds and not pay the fees? How does that work, and how do you find spots where you can drop anchor for the night? I want to be out in nature more anyway, not listening to someone's generator and seeing their TV flicker through their window.

There are lots of cheaper than that Corps of engineers will get you one with Golden age card from 2.bucks to around 12 or 4 to 24 without card NEVER STOP AT ONE ON A FREEWAY OR A RV PARK.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaymus View Post

Shaymus - see the thread in this forum on WalMart "camping." This works on the road.

There are US Forest Service campgrounds all over the USA. They run from free to $15 a night (this is where the Golden Age Pass (one $10 payment for a lifetime card!!!) really shines) . You can find a list on the USFS website by state. Another option is BLM lands and camp sites.

When we are on the road we use the WalMart route. When we are in one place for several days we try and find a place with hookups for at least one day in three, using USFS, BLM and State campgrounds in between. AAA, Good Sam and Camping World are good resources to find less expensive RV parks. We have had good luck with AAA, usually paying between $25 to $35 a night.

Happy Trails,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
We find camping sites for half or less of what you spoke of, most of the time, in COE, state parks, and BLM or National Forest campgrounds. Our campsite of very last resort is an "RV resort", where I can (often) borrow a cup of sugar from my neighbor without leaving my trailer...
We do not have a golden age/geezer pass (yet).
Some counties and cities have low-price and/or free parks as well. We've not camped in California, so I don't have local suggestions. However, I'd suspect you'd find more National Forest and BLM lands in the west than COE parks.
Good luck with your search.
Sherry
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool National, State, County, Regional, and City Parks

For you in Northern California I highly recommend Stillwater Cove Campground in Sonoma County on Hwy 1. We've stayed there and loved it.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
For you in Northern California I highly recommend Stillwater Cove Campground in Sonoma County on Hwy 1. We've stayed there and loved it.
Really a beautiful place, Frederick.

AAA has a Northern CA campground map that shows all of the spots for tent and RV camping. They break the campgrounds down by agency (FS, BLM,County, State, Private, etc.) # of sites, facilities, amenities, price, size and number of RVs allowed, attractions (hiking, fishing, etc.). Really a good tool for the T.V.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There's overnighting (Walmart), camping (organized state parks, etc.) and resorts (look up those spots via Google) and free... BLM. If you're looking for cheap parks, plan ahead.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Here's a few suggestions for keeping the cost down.
Get this book Amazon.com: Guide To Free Campgrounds-West 13h Edition: Includes Campgrounds $12 And Under In The 17 Western States (Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds Western Edition) (9780937877494): Don Wright: Books

Get "Camping with the CORP of Engineers" book.

Use the internet to look at National Forests Campgrounds.
Go to National Parks. There's several in CA.

If you're 62 or over get the Senior Pass. Free entry into National Parks and 1/2 price camping at all federal campgrounds.

We've been on the road for about 75 day and have averaged about $8.00 per night. There's a few free night a number $4.00 nights and few $12.50 nights.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Many people don't know that by Federal Law camping is allowed almost anywhere in a National Forest, and the only place you'll have to pay a fee is in "developed campgrounds". There are some local exceptions, and campfires are often restricted. Call the Ranger District office for the forest you're interested in and ask about "dispersed camping".
Note: This does NOT apply to National Parks.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #10

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I'm having a hard time finding a spot to camp in the Adirondacs...that has electric sites. Seems all State Pks. are primitive camping and on the other end of the scale KOA's are resort camping!!!
Our Ontario Provincial Pk's are almost double the rates of N.Y. State Pk's.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie ps. It's daylight savings time again...if that helps!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Shaymus
There's lots of good references for paying less for campsite and most already know about this site and it would be a good place for you to start if your not familiar with it.
Joe

Free Campgrounds for RVs
Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #12

Name: Shay
Trailer: 16' Casita (pending pick-up)
California
Good Info

Thanks for the replies. This is all great information and will definitely get me started on MORE research. Seems like you can't do enough research, but now I have more of an idea on what books to get and where to go.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #13

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...I'm having a hard time finding a spot to camp in the Adirondacs...that has electric sites. Seems all State Pks. are primitive camping and on the other end of the scale KOA's are resort camping!!!
Our Ontario Provincial Pk's are almost double the rates of N.Y. State Pk's.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie ps. It's daylight savings time again...if that helps!!!
Set things up so you don't need electric sites. We just go home after 98 days on the road with the Scamp. We spent total time in sites with electricity about 10 days. The maximum time we spent in one place without electricity was two week and we did that twice. our average per night fee was $7.30. Cheap and no electricity are possible.
Byron
Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Chiming in with Byron on this one. It would be a shame to miss out on the beautiful state parks in the Adirondacks because of an electricity dependency. Last summer, we camped in Lake Durant and Ausable Point campgrounds in the Adirondacks. Both amazing, in different ways. At Ausable Point, we could see Vermont across the lake from our lovely campsite on the shore. At Lake Durant, we emulated the ducks in the rain, under a heavy tree cover, by the shore. .
Sherry