Civil War Camp Grounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
We will be leaving for a 3 month trip starting Feb 1 2007. We hope to visit many Civil War battle fields and historical points. We will leave from the Inland Nortwest and drive south toward New Mexico, turn East toward Florida then turn North to see my Mom in N.J. then turn West toward home. So if anyone has info on visit these places or any other great spots along the way please let us know so we can plan our trip the next month or so.
Thank you Dave & Sharon Tharp, Palouse, Washington.

PS Any good info on books and maps would help.
We are excited to visit this part of the country.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Chickamauga National Military Park is south of Chattanooga in Fort Oglethrope, GA. Great Civil War battlefield from September 1863. Very user friendly. Ft O was a active cavalry post until the end of WWII and has a museum and privately owned homes. Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain (November 1863) are worth the visit as well. We used to live on Missionary Ridge and am prejudiced in favor of this site. Chattanooga National Cemetery is the first national military cemetery and has many Civil War burials including the Federal raiders who captured the locomotive The General and attempted to destroy tracks and bridges before being captured and eventually executed. Along I-75 to Atlanta are many battlefields. In Kennesaw, GA is the Locomotive and Civil War Museum. Atlanta has the Diarama in Grant Park.

Franklin, TN was the Battle of Franklin, and there's Stone's River, both off I-24.

So, there are many battlefield sites around here. Come and enjoy!

Don
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The Crater at Petersburg, then Stonewall Jackson’s death place at Thornburg Exit as U R headed North to Fredericksburg VA then sites at and around Fredericksburg, VA there many (Wilderness is one) battlefields then head North for all the really well known battles.

Spotsylvania county is where Alex Haley based his book Roots. (Close to Fredericksburg).

Then to Manassas where there is a really large battlefield then North on 15 to Appamodix and Gettysburg, etc.

I think there is a government camp ground at the Manassas battelfield. East of Manassas, just a few miles.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft Burro
See the Southern submarine, The HUNLEY in Charleston SC. Also do not miss SAVANNAH in Georgia . Take the guided bus tour, then go back and catch the parts that interest you the most. It gives you a feel for what the South was like before the war.You will love the Southern cooking and the sea food along the Atlantic coast is wonderful .Enjoy.
Al POGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Don't forget where it all started - Fort Sumter!

I have been to most of the Civil War places and the one I liked the best was Vicksburg. I remember reading about that battle continuing for what seem like forever. After visiting there, I know understand why.

One thing that we noticed - if the North won the battle, lots of monuments, etc. If the South won the battle, basically, there was a plaque.

Don't forget Gettysburg too and Appomatax Court House where it ended.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
There's a battlefield in New Mexico, Glorietta Pass. The 'net says that you can only drive through, that it is a battlefield that is in danger. I don't remember if it was that way when we visited a few years ago, but we certainly enjoyed visiting the nearby pueblo.

CindyL
Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
Check out River's Bridge State Historic Park in South Carolina. We camped at this quiet civil war memorial park in January 2004 and found it to be a jewel... not the usual Civil War tourist destination.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...e-park/566.aspx
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
An interesting Civil War campaign is described in "Sibley's New Mexico Campaign" by Martin Hardwick Hall, University of New Mexico Press Reprint 2000.

It follows the Rio Grande south to north (and back again) in early 1862.

Ron Mayo
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
An interesting Civil War campaign is described in "Sibley's New Mexico Campaign" by Martin Hardwick Hall, University of New Mexico Press Reprint 2000.

It follows the Rio Grande south to north (and back again) in early 1862.

Ron Mayo
Thanks for the info. Having Grown up in New Mexico and reading NM history I am interested. I would definitely take some time also to research the Buffalo Soldiers. They are not higlighted in many civil war stories, but they are a part of the Civil War history.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
if you give me an address, i will send stuff from here in harpers ferry where john brown raided the munitions stores and antietam which is across the river. gettysburg is just up the road and manassas is just south of here. i have a driveway and electric and hose if you like.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Same here...lots of Chattanooga and area brochures and info available if you want them.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Thanks for all the info. I have a map out and am marking spots we may visit.
any info can be sent to:
Dave Tharp
825 E 11th
Palouse WA 99161

again thanks to all the good folks at fiber RV
PS: what is the weather like in Feb, March & April
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I have a map out and am marking spots we may visit.
any info can be sent to:
Dave Tharp
825 E 11th
Palouse WA 99161

again thanks to all the good folks at fiber RV
PS: what is the weather like in Feb, March & April
My favorite Civil War battlefield is at Shiloh National Military Park near Shiloh, Tennessee. This is about 45 miles southeast of Jackson, TN - straight east of Memphis about 100 miles.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Dave, sounds like you folks have a great trip planned with lots of neat suggestions from other board members.

If your route takes you along the east coast, in NC I'd suggest starting in Wilmington (significant Civil War port), then up to Morehead City where we have one of the better (IMO) restored coastal forts - http://www.crystalcoast.com/fortmacon/. The US Forest Service has several campgrounds in nearby Croatan National Forest (Cedar Point is our favorite). From Morehead City, follow Hwy 70 to the Cedar Island ferry which will take you to Ocracoke Island on the Outer Banks. Control of the Lighthouses along the OBX was critical during the war. There are four National Park Services campgrounds along the OBX that usually open over Easter. If you're visiting earlier than that, Camp Hatteras (private campground) is open year round.

Not Civil War era but be sure to visit the historic sites around Manteo and Nags Head. Fort Raleigh, Wright Brothers Memorial, The Lost Colony and several others are nearby. From here, you can eaily get to all the Civil War sites in eastern VA.

Most of all, be sure to have fun wherever your road leads.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Make sure you go to see Chickamauga Battlefield. I only went there once, but it's an amazing monument. In addtion, it's in a geologically beautiful section of the South. If I were making a tour of Civil War battlefields, I definitely would not want to miss this one.

Chickamauga Battlefield.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote