Cleaning Up After Coming Home--Total Disarray? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cleaning Up After Coming Home--Total Disarray?

Are we less organized than most? We're been home since the 9th and we are still cleaning up...sure, we had 58 things on our "to do" list, but some of them were extremely minor (buy heavy paper, not plastic or styrofoam cups for coffee when restocking Peanut)…

Some to-dos were to figure out about the sticking windows (thanks to FGRV, we have)…

Some were to shower twice and sleep three times...

Some were to sort the dogs out again, back on regular self-sufficiency for going out, and not sleeping on top of me for Cinder...

But the house is totally tossed, we just now put "most" of our laundered clothes away and have all our laundry bins full again; the den (where we store most of our camping supplies) has things piled all over the floor, I have folding chairs in the TV room, the sewing room...bins everywhere (and we only have three bins, how do they seem so omnipresent?)...and somehow we lost 175 paper bowls! How do you lose 175 paper bowls?

I thought we'd taken all the library books back two days after we got home, but now I find more in the folding fabric bins that go on the closet shelves in Peanut.

Have discovered we now have at least SIXTEEN leashes...somehow I kept buying them--why do I feel so leash-deficient when we're on the road?

Anyone else find returning after a bit of a long trip to be so disheveled? Is that the word? Complete disorder? It's like that song: "It's a jungle out there! (in here!) Disorder and confusion everywhere...no one seems to care, but I do...hey! Who's in charge here?"

Kai
amazed at the mess
and definitely not in charge!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Buy two more, it's the leash you could do!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Are we less organized than most? We're been home since the 9th and we are still cleaning up...sure, we had 58 things on our "to do" list, but some of them were extremely minor (buy heavy paper, not plastic or styrofoam cups for coffee when restocking Peanut)…

Some to-dos were to figure out about the sticking windows (thanks to FGRV, we have)…

Some were to shower twice and sleep three times...

Some were to sort the dogs out again, back on regular self-sufficiency for going out, and not sleeping on top of me for Cinder...

But the house is totally tossed, we just now put "most" of our laundered clothes away and have all our laundry bins full again; the den (where we store most of our camping supplies) has things piled all over the floor, I have folding chairs in the TV room, the sewing room...bins everywhere (and we only have three bins, how do they seem so omnipresent?)...and somehow we lost 175 paper bowls! How do you lose 175 paper bowls?

I thought we'd taken all the library books back two days after we got home, but now I find more in the folding fabric bins that go on the closet shelves in Peanut.

Have discovered we now have at least SIXTEEN leashes...somehow I kept buying them--why do I feel so leash-deficient when we're on the road?

Anyone else find returning after a bit of a long trip to be so disheveled? Is that the word? Complete disorder? It's like that song: "It's a jungle out there! (in here!) Disorder and confusion everywhere...no one seems to care, but I do...hey! Who's in charge here?"

Kai
amazed at the mess
and definitely not in charge!
Why are you storing camping supplies in the den when you have the perfect place to store them... meaning storing them where they get used?

The trailer should have its own set of linens that go right back into the trailer after washing. I bought zip-lock "big bags" at Fred Meyers to keep them nice and fresh smelling. They stock those bags over in the aisle with the household closet storage items. Wonderful for organizing the trailer items, easier to fit into the spaces in cabinets and under the bed than a plastic bin and they seal better too. They come in a couple of different sizes. You can see what is inside of them at a glance. Right now I use them to sort some of the supplies for the remodel, electrical parts, wires, plumbing parts, paint brushes and roller covers, etc. After that they will organize what can stay in the trailer.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks...

I'm afraid if I store many fabrics inside Peanut they'll get that musty smell that never really washes out...even though we use dryZair in it whenever we're not on the road. We have dedicated trailer linens and two sets of bedding for a change of color. One set stays on the beds. We have those bags. I never considered storing linens in them inside the cupboards, though. Maybe I'm just too worried about moisture.

And I buy some things in bulk; enough to fill the cabinets goes into Peanut, but the overflow has to be stored elsewhere.

I'll rethink my storage strategy. You're right, out to laundry, wash, dry, and back into Peanut. It'd save on getting ready efforts as well.

BEST
Kai

K
Old 06-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

Registry
Mike Magee: I FOUND two more under my bed at home, that made 18, and then one more in the laundry room, so now we have NINETEEN leads. Talk about the leash I can do! It appears to be my current fetish, finding the perfect leash/collar combo.

I had two sets in Peanut, one in the car by their crates, a pair in the center bin with their medical alert vests...I mean, seriously? And here it was my policy to double up on NOTHING for camping.

Time to rethink my whole strategy before this gets messy.
K
Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks...

I'm afraid if I store many fabrics inside Peanut they'll get that musty smell that never really washes out...even though we use dryZair in it whenever we're not on the road. We have dedicated trailer linens and two sets of bedding for a change of color. One set stays on the beds. We have those bags. I never considered storing linens in them inside the cupboards, though. Maybe I'm just too worried about moisture.

And I buy some things in bulk; enough to fill the cabinets goes into Peanut, but the overflow has to be stored elsewhere.

I'll rethink my storage strategy. You're right, out to laundry, wash, dry, and back into Peanut. It'd save on getting ready efforts as well.

BEST
Kai

K
]
You can store them in the house over the winter months when you are not going out very often. But in the summer you will use them often enough not to have to worry about them getting smelly. If you can find an ion generating air cleaner and have an extension cord out to Peanut when at home use one of those. What it does is kill all the mold spores in the air and on surfaces. That will keep the musty smell under control. Works great!
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It always takes me awhile, too- partly because when I get home from a trip I have a lot of other things at home to catch up on, too, and I'm tired. The key things- removing dirty clothes and fridge food- get done right away. Everything else gets done eventually (i.e., before the next trip.) This time the next trip is next week so I need to be more on the ball than usual.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sounds like you've been gone 2 yrs. Cant say we generate that kind of mess. It would drive me nuts so unless there's a disaster, aint gonna happen. But that's just me.

[QUOTE=Kai in Seattle;702839]Are we less organized than most?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Thanks...

I'm afraid if I store many fabrics inside Peanut they'll get that musty smell that never really washes out...even though we use dryZair in it whenever we're not on the road. . . .
Kai

K
I have an "electronic dehumidifier" that I keep plugged in to keep humidity low. (If it's really wet inside, a full size compressor one might be needed.)
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #10

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
A new leash on life?

We may need to consider a "toy hauler" to tow behind our trailer just to hold all our dog-related items.

And we just have one!

Great idea on using the Ziplock storage for linens!

Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #11

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Kai, you are not alone. Having returned from 4.5 weeks on the road last Sat. Our spare bedroom is getting pretty filled with STUFF to go back in the Tahoe Traveler. Yah , we finally gave the Casita a name, guess it has to stay now!

I find that just cleaning the exterior of the trailer and TV is getting more time consuming. After having our Casita 9 months, we still are trying to figure out where everything should go in side. Hopefully after our next 2 trips we will finally figure it out. I hope to have a good plan by the time the Quincy rally comes around. Our 1st rally last year on our way home from Rice,Tx and our 1st yr anniversary rally in 2018.

I am sure it will all get easier. BUT 19 leashes? How many critters do you travel with?
Maybe time to donate to your local shelter, I bet they could use 2 or 3 of those leashes.

Happy Campling and the clean up between !
Mark
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
...I had two sets in Peanut, one in the car by their crates, a pair in the center bin with their medical alert vests...
K
Medical alert vests? Now you have made me curious. What do these vests do and how do they work? Are they for canine medical problems or human medical problems?
Old 06-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #13

Registry
Mike,

I fear the vests are more banal than interesting...

The girls alert us at certain times to take our medication and they warn me if my blood sugar gets too low.

The vests clip on and have pockets to carry things like little water bowls, clean up tissues, potty bags, treats, and a supply of ADA cards (Americans with Disabilities Act) in case people need a bit more formal explanation of what pugs are doing in service dog vests.

I try to use the privileges sparingly, but we keep the vests handy in the car just in case.

Kai
Old 06-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks, all.

A good time to reevaluate how much we're taking and storing; we just got rid of seventeen leashes (I even found two more, brining it up to 22), a bag of tins/plasticware, and seven bags of clothing, including "warm socks" that are in colors I will never wear (came with sets of 12...). Just because they're "extra" in the house doesn't mean I'll wear them on the road (I didn't, even when my feet were icy cold).

We've added wall pockets to Peanut to hold things that can "live" out there permanently, like beach/water walker shoes...two leashes that can live in Peanut, and have stowed, tucked, stacked, neatened, and generally made a good start on the heaps. We have the plug-in cooler out in Peanut now, rather than on the den floor; we have the dry food bin (empty, of course) in Peanut, too, and the empty "overflow" or "shopping" bin under my back bed next to a much smaller, rectangular doggy bed.

More to do, but my mood is better and so is the organization. You all helped. It was good to know I'm not alone, and also to hear ideas about what others do about it.

BEST
Kai

Attached Thumbnails
Everything is going to be OK.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Keep in mind the mottoes: "Less is More" and "KISS", Keep it Simple Sweetie.To me this means the fewer things I bring camping the more fun experiences I can have. Think like a backpacker who travels light and only brings the essentials.

We store our trailer one hour from our home which I think actually helps us to think in a more streamlined way. Food, clothing and the battery are the only things we bring back and forth to the trailer. Of course, in my case as the "Gleeful Glamper" this could also include a few curtain changes as well as stuffed animals.

We bring our food in "milk crates, insulated bags and a cooler. We bring our clothing and entertainment in one duffel and one day pack each.

When we return from a trip we bring back any unused food and our dirty laundry. The food goes into home storage or the fridge and the clothing goes directly into the laundry.

I'm with you with cleaning the trailer. While cleaning our car takes both of us about an hour, "bada-bang, bada-boom". Cleaning the trailer is just an ordeal. I'm researching mobile car and boat cleaning services that can come to our storage facility. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but it will be so worth it for us not to have the body aches and pains AND to have a clean, shiny trailer!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #16

Oklahoma
It's all right!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #17

Registry
Hi, Mike Magee, yes, it's all right. Good song, thanks!

Gilda, I never knew there was such a thing as a cleaning service for travel trailers, but why not?

To-Do list is down to 12 from 58 (plus all the extras that cropped up as we worked on the first 46--one thing leading to another as it does). Streamlining, revamping, reconsidering...we'll travel a little lighter next time. Just using a double tie-out rather than the x-pen made the trip a lot easier.

So many little changes...

Thanks, all.

Kai
Old 06-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #18

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Mike, on our last trip we stayed 2 nights in Vegas. VERY nice RV park. Only $60/night, full hook up, next to the pool and shade trees. Anyway a mobile RV washer made its rounds. They cleaned the outside and perhaps inside, I didn't ask. With so many full timers I am sure the demand for mobile cleaning is there.
Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote