Coastal Camping in Northern Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Coastal Camping in Northern Maine

This is plan B for this summer.....Plan A was Nova Scotia but now information from members of this board seems to indicate my 15 year old DUI incident may make entry into Canada impossible.

Plan B is the Northern Coast of Maine...NOT The Southern Coastal area as that is way too crowded with tourists.. Perhaps in the Lubec area or around Ellsworth, Maine......any suggestions? Would love to find something with full hook-ups right on the coast.

Thanks in advance for the much needed help.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Name: Edie
Trailer: Checking out "eggs"
Massachusetts
Searsport Shores just north of Belfast is on the ocean. That's midcoast on Rt. 1. I can't review the actual campground, but the area is lovely. Family have lived there for years. I stayed at Cobscook State Park--very north off Rte. 1 and loved it. Was tenting at that time, so don't know about hookups.
Edie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We just went from Kittery to Lubec on US 1 in early June which is considered out of season. Stayed in Acadia National Park, Lamoine State Park which is very close to Acadia, and Cobscook State Park near the border. No hook ups in state parks so you will have to go to private campgrounds. After the 4 th of July it's best to make reservations. Acadia and the surrounding area gets very busy. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sunset Point Campground, Harrington, ME

Any where on the coast in northern ME can be fun. This is a little family owned campground on the water where you can get cooked lobster delivered to your rig. It's not too far from anywhere. We always stay there on our way to NL. We hope to be there in mid-August to attend the Machias, ME blueberry festival.

Sunset Point Campground - Home | Campgrounds Maine Coast | RV Parks Maine | Recreational Vehicle Camp Sites Maine

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Florida
In Eastport go to the Mustard Factory and read a book Sara(h) Graves. Shes a local mystery writer who writes about the area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Norther Maine

The last I looked at a map, which is just now, Northern Maine is nowhere near a coast. The Eastern most tip of the state by Eastport.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The last I looked at a map, which is just now, Northern Maine is nowhere near a coast. The Eastern most tip of the state by Eastport.
The original poster mentioned the northern coast versus the southern coast. Eastport is on the northern coast as is Lubec

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

North Carolina
Norm & Ginny, Thanks for the defense....I have hunted in October in Northern Maine (Aroostook County) for over 20 years from sporting camps and knew that the Coastal points in Maine end at Calais. I have never "RV Camped" on the coast of Maine and will take you up on your suggestion...one question: How large and/or private are the sites at Sunset Point Campgrounds?

Thanks for info.

Happy Camping
Old 07-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Cobscook is one of my favorites, if you bring your passport you can visit Campobello, maybe even stay at Herring Cove PP, which had power hookups when we stayed there 6 years ago.

Be careful if you stop at Rays Mustard, we still buy all our mustard from them, after 6 years. Great stuff.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #10

Florida
I would guess there are maybe 30 sites. It's not a big campground with any seasonal people, at least in memory. It's nothing like a traditional campground and it's n9t like a state park. The sites are reasonable sized, some more private than others. My memory is the ones on the water side are most private.

I'd contact the owner and make a reservation at this time of the year. Generally I would say an older crowd though we're always there in the off season. There's a little Ocean side state park that we almost bought a house near, at Roques Bluff, no camping though.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #11

Florida
Patrick if you go to the link I attached and watch for a while the pictures change and sho shots of the campground and sites.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #12

North Carolina
Thank you for the info...we will be calling them today...will spend at least 3 days there then move down the coast once we locate another campground south of Bar Harbour and north of the busy Freeport area.

Enjoy your summer!

Happy Camping to all!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #13

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
In defense of Norm Collins post, if you look at the heading it says 'Coastal camping in Northern Maine. My first response was the same as his.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #14

Florida
The northern part of Maine has a north east and south east facing coasts. Washington county is decidedly different from southern Maine's York county. It is the poorest county in Maine with a population density of only 10 people per square mile, that alone makes it interesting to me. One fifth of Washington county is inland water. 85% of the worlds wild blueberries come from Washington county hence the Machias Blueberry Festival

Machias Wild Blueberry Festival - Maine: Official Site

All that said it has a beautiful coast where people can find their personal hideaway. As well Washington county claims the eastern most point in the United States (outside of Alaska).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #15

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Do not give up your dreams of comming to Canada so quickly. Check out this website and then call the appropriate people and ask. From what I have read, your DUI was a long time ago and they will take that into consideration. Overcome criminal convictions Good luck.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #16

North Carolina
I find the Canadian policy of treating DUI as some sort of criminal offense highly objectionable. The very idea that they came up with that policy offends me. I am sure the United States government has no such policy against Canadian entry.
Considering the fact that Canada has such a policy I will boycott Canada and even suggest the United States adopt the same in return.
It will be a cold day in hell before I beg for entry into Canada to spend my tourist dollars!

I'll enjoy my weeks camping along the coast of Maine in my country...the USA !

Happy Camping!
Old 07-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #17

North Carolina
Just called Sunset Point Campground...they have a site available for July 22 thru July 24 (departing on July 25th for points to the south close to Boothbay Harbor, Maine).
I decided to book and reserve in advance because Maine is a busy place in summer!

The Northern Coast ends in Calais, Maine....and yes there is plenty more Maine north of Calais but not on the coast....some folks are very very picky.
If you want to discuss the real Maine North Country talk to my wife...she was raised in the Madawaska/Fort Kent area in the 1940s.

Now to find something in the Mid-Coast area of Maine for three or four nights...then off to New Hampshire.....gotta love this retirement thing!

Happy Camping!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
Raz

We have a coast of Maine cook book that along with recipes features popular Maine restaurants One we stopped at was Moody's on route 1 in Waldoboro. You will pass it on your way to Booth Bay. Two clam rolls and a slice of pie to go. Not cheap but very good. Next time I'll try the hot turkey sandwich. An order went right past me while we were waiting. Raz
Old 07-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #19

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Northern Maine

I live in Aroostook County, definitely, Northern Maine. I can see Canada to the east of me but the ocean is a long ways away. Aroostook is the largest county in Maine and Fort Fairfield is in Central Aroostook, about 3 hours NE of Bangor. We go to Portland, (south of Bangor) when we want to see the ocean. We have stayed in campgrounds down near Kittery.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:11 AM   #20
Raz

One other thing

Just so you're not surprised, the state of Maine is going to charge you an additional 8% tax to stay in a campground, private or public. Raz