Daryl and Wendy follow the dotted line to St John's NFLD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Daryl and Wendy follow the dotted line to St John's NFLD

Starting to past the midpoint, day 52 and 12,000 km into our trip from vancouver to St. John's.

We arrived at Graves Island NS yesterday, from Caribou (Pictou) NS the previous night, to three other egg trailers. A Trillium, a Monarch and a Burro. How exciting to meet such nice people.

I can't seem to access our personal page from the mobile app so I thought I'd try posting here until I learn the method of this community forum.

Touring Halifax today (Saturday). Lunenberg tomorrow then sightseeing south on the south coast on Monday.

It's been a great tour
Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow! Sounds like an amazing trip. Straight through driving is 7500 km, so at 12,000 km, I'd say you've taken a few detours!

We'd love to see some pictures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
sxj

Name: Bert
Trailer: Looking
Ontario
Be sure to visit Cape Spear, just outside St. John's it most Easterly point in North America
sxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You may also want to see Louisburg, NS, and a coal mine at Glace Bay.

In NFLD, @ St. Johns, Signal Hill, where Maconi set up his radio transmitter.
Heart's Content, the place where the first transatlantic cable came ashore
If you want to get the northern tip of "the rock" see Lanse au'Meadows, the Viking camp.
On the way there, Gros Morne Park, take a boat ride up the Fjord.
Take the ferry to Labrador, and go to Red Bay, the Whaling museum.
WATCH OUT for the Newfoundland speed bumps!

A lot of the Trans Canada Hwy on NF was built with John Deere Construction Equipment; the company I worked for.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl and Wendy View Post
Starting to past the midpoint, day 52 and 12,000 km into our trip from vancouver to St. John's.

We arrived at Graves Island NS yesterday, from Caribou (Pictou) NS the previous night, to three other egg trailers. A Trillium, a Monarch and a Burro. How exciting to meet such nice people.

I can't seem to access our personal page from the mobile app so I thought I'd try posting here until I learn the method of this community forum.

Touring Halifax today (Saturday). Lunenberg tomorrow then sightseeing south on the south coast on Monday.

It's been a great tour
:
Check out the Gray Rocks just up the road about 8KM's from Lunenberg. And if you have not done Peggy's Cove you should go there to. Amazing place and interesting. There is the memorial where that plane went down good to stop by there to. Out main stay in NS was at Doug & Linda Brown's place in Bear River they live at the head of the river, this place built sailing ships right up and until about 1925 then slowly fazed out of that and now it is becoming an artist hangout, some real interesting art shops in area. Digby is good place to stock up on a haircut, they are hard to find out that way. If I had know about NS 30 years ago I would of moved there even if it meant leaving the wife here.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wow! Sounds like an amazing trip. Straight through driving is 7500 km, so at 12,000 km, I'd say you've taken a few detours!

We'd love to see some pictures!
Yes, we took the dragon fly route rather than the as the crow flies route. Plus google doesn't seem to allow for trips to groceries, campgrounds, etc.

Some 500 images so far; too difficult to decide what to post. Hoping to compile images on our fgrv homepage when we return.

Thanks
Daryl and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxj View Post
Be sure to visit Cape Spear, just outside St. John's it most Easterly point in North America
We've been fortunate on this one trip to have been to the midpoint near Winnipeg, the south edge at Point Pelee and the east edge st Cape Spear.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
You may also want to see Louisburg, NS, and a coal mine at Glace Bay.

In NFLD, @ St. Johns, Signal Hill, where Maconi set up his radio transmitter.
Heart's Content, the place where the first transatlantic cable came ashore
If you want to get the northern tip of "the rock" see Lanse au'Meadows, the Viking camp.
On the way there, Gros Morne Park, take a boat ride up the Fjord.
Take the ferry to Labrador, and go to Red Bay, the Whaling museum.
WATCH OUT for the Newfoundland speed bumps!

A lot of the Trans Canada Hwy on NF was built with John Deere Construction Equipment; the company I worked for.
I should have mentioned in my original post that we have already been to NFLD for eight days and are now returning generally south and west. We were in Gros Morne (KOA - a great stop), Twillingate (stunning and super trlaxed) and St John's. returned on the overnight ferry from Argenria.

Good advise on the "speed bumps". Our little trailer bounced like never before, but pulled thru (pardon the pun)
Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:
Check out the Gray Rocks just up the road about 8KM's from Lunenberg. And if you have not done Peggy's Cove you should go there to. Amazing place and interesting. There is the memorial where that plane went down good to stop by there to. Out main stay in NS was at Doug & Linda Brown's place in Bear River they live at the head of the river, this place built sailing ships right up and until about 1925 then slowly fazed out of that and now it is becoming an artist hangout, some real interesting art shops in area. Digby is good place to stock up on a haircut, they are hard to find out that way. If I had know about NS 30 years ago I would of moved there even if it meant leaving the wife here.
Stude
We will look for the Grey Rocks as Lunenberg is tomorrow's destination.

We have been to Peggy's Cove and the flight 111 memorial on a previous trip. We are discussing taking and extra day to visit that area again.

We'll also look up Bear River as it sounds like what we enjoy.

How did you know I need a haircut? I'll make a note when we get to Digby.

Thanks for the pointers
Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
We spent yestday afternoon in Chester. What a lovely place. Certainly in the top ten of this trip. Supper at the Rope Loft was A1

We've been to Halifax before so this time we spent the morning at the Seaport Farmers Market, which was a really good choice.

Then to the Immigration Museum. We'd been to the Canadian Museum of Human Rights in Winnipeg on this trip in August. Feeling very proud to be Canadian. Also, I found out my father and his mother landed in Quebec in July 1930.

Supper at an Irish pub (it seemed like an obvious choice). And evening walking the boardwalk. Notable to us how that section is so accessible and diverse.

Tomorrow we will go to Lunenberg to see what we can see. And look for the Grey Rocks.

Our next camp might be Kejimkujik NP Seaside on Monday, maybe Tuesday.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:

It's been a great tour
:yes Halifax only Costco on the whole mainland they drive quite a ways to shop. We ended up finding the Costco in NB.
stude
Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 AM   #12

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Blue Rocks is what you will be looking for. Not Grey Rocks. Very nice place no matter the rock colors.

Kejimkujik Seaside is a day use park only. There is a Provincial Park nearby. We just returned home from out cross-country trip with our last two nights in the main Keji park.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post
Blue Rocks is what you will be looking for. Not Grey Rocks. Very nice place no matter the rock colors.

Kejimkujik Seaside is a day use park only. There is a Provincial Park nearby. We just returned home from out cross-country trip with our last two nights in the main Keji park.
Yes Chris your right but they are in NS right now, my wife and i were so many places I have forgotten all there names especially now that I got Vertigo back.
We had a pretty nice campground about 1/2 hour away, took pictures of the famous 3 churches, I think think the name of place started with a "M" they also had a shoe factory there and I bought a real nice pair shoes. One thing I found out if you had car problems in either PEI, NL, NS, Cape B. the work was way less than the rates you pay in the lower mainland.
Peggy's Cove was fantastic, the lighthouse, the ladies and men all dressed in RED shirts/sweaters celebrating what I think was a Spanish Holiday or something like that, they were all out on the rocks around the Litehouse singing their anthem and other songs. I was there in 2009 on my first trip through there, meeting a lot of Studebaker people, dogs, cars, trucks, was a good week back then to.
The main reason we went to NL was to take pictures of PUFFINS.
stude
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
Our last night in Nova Scotia was at Five Islands PP. Very quiet, very dark and very empty. Now at Fundy NP in NB for a couple of nights.

Thinking we would head toward Arcadia Maine then Cape Cod MA

We are unsure what to see between here and there. And more unsure of our general return route to the PNW.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
It can be slow going, but I enjoyed poking around different Maine lighthouses on a trip many years ago.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Try the ferry ride to PEI, from Pictou NS, then drive the confederation bridge back. No charge for going over, but you have to pay a toll to come back to NB.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Our last night in Nova Scotia was at Five Islands PP. Very quiet, very dark and very empty. Now at Fundy NP in NB for a couple of nights.

Thinking we would head toward Arcadia Maine then Cape Cod MA

We are unsure what to see between here and there. And more unsure of our general return route to the PNW.
: Yes before Maine you have to see PEI and you will need at least a week to see it all, we had 2 weeks there then one of hte old timers in our club spent the whole summer there last year.
You get on the Ferry at Pictou and like the previous said come back over the bridge you only pay for one way either the Ferry and or the bridge, I did it in 09. Because of all the fires in BC I was tempted to go spend a summer in Bear River and travel around from there as does not take that long only small portion of Canada.
Stude