Deer Ticks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Deer Ticks

I was checking out camping on Long Island, NY to take my grandkids to but I read a lot about the deer tick problems campers have been having. I read some information and said spray with deet in it would help but it still seems it would be dangerous to put my grandkids and me in a situation of being bitten by a deer tick. I'm thinking of forgetting about that area altogether. Any thoughts on this and what other problems campers have to deal with. Thanks, Janis
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Lyme disease originated right across the sound in East Lyme CT. Mary contracted it several years ago, possibly while visiting the area as our daughter lives near there. We camp there every year too. Our daughter went to college on Long Island, and my grandmother grew up in Easthampton LI so we've been there many times. We always hated traveling the Long Island Expressway so many times took the ferry out of New London CT. Never camped on LI.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We were told out here to use Permethin on your clothing and to wear light colored clothing so you could see the ticks easier. The use 100% DEET on your skin. Not 100% but probably close enough.
This is another one of those the odds are with you that you won't have a problem so go and enjoy
Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
I was checking out camping on Long Island, NY to take my grandkids to but I read a lot about the deer tick problems campers have been having. I read some information and said spray with deet in it would help but it still seems it would be dangerous to put my grandkids and me in a situation of being bitten by a deer tick. I'm thinking of forgetting about that area altogether. Any thoughts on this and what other problems campers have to deal with. Thanks, Janis

First, getting bitten by a tick infected with Lyme does not mean that an individual is going to be infected. The tick has to be imbedded for a while. So use the deet and completely check every part of your body, especially those areas which tend to be moist. If bitten, remove the tick and watch the area for the next month. If a red ring (like a target) forms around the bite, go to a doctor. Lyme disease is readily addressed in its early stages with specific antibiotics.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Delaware
I looked up how to protect yourself from ticks while camping and OFF! by Johnson & Johnson has a good page on their products. They have a deep woods insect repellent--so I'm feeling better about the situation. I grew up on Long Island and spent many summers in the hamptons swimming but never camped. Would love for my grandchildren to experience going there.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
I looked up how to protect yourself from ticks while camping and OFF! by Johnson & Johnson has a good page on their products. They have a deep woods insect repellent--so I'm feeling better about the situation. I grew up on Long Island and spent many summers in the hamptons swimming but never camped. Would love for my grandchildren to experience going there.

Deep Woods Off appears to 25% DEET. If it were me I'd look for a much higher percentage of DEET.
We've hiked and backpacked in the eastern Oregon mountains for years. Some years the Deer Ticks are really bad, some years the mosquitoes are really bad, some both. We've found the most effective bite prevention was vitamin B(50 mg balanced and 99% DEET (REI-Jungle Juice). Light clothing helps detect ticks before they get to the skin. Avoid brushing against long grass or low bushes. Avoid over head low branches when possible.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The great outdoors we love to camp in is full of ticks, mosquitoes, leeches, chiggers, scorpions, rattlesnakes, bears and other biting and stinging critters. Take as many precautions as you can with clothing, chemicals and knowledge as possible and enjoy the adventure. Using a product with a very high percentage of Deet will melt synthetic clothing. I found this out the hard way years ago in Alaska. I think the product available today is not the same as it was 30 years ago.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
We have a lot of ticks here in southern California too. I frequently picked up ticks while mountain biking or geocaching. While biking we would always do "tick checks" every time we stopped to rest. The buddy system at work! Quick detection and removal will likely reduce the risk of infection. A very hot shower has also made them release if not left on too long. What Byron said about avoiding contact with foliage is important. Most ticks will be unable to get on for a ride if you simply do not allow plants to touch you. Some seasons are really thick with them. On one geocaching hike I looked down and my pants were covered with hundreds of ticks. I was freaked out and started jumping up and down. The ticks couldn't hold on to the light synthetic REI Hiking pants I was wearing! It was too slick for them to hang on to. When I got back to car I disrobed and did a thorough shaking out of clothing and shoes before getting in.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Take the tick with you to the doctor so it can be correctly identified.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #10

Delaware
Years ago I remember people talking about Avon oil for the skin that was effective fighting mosquitoes--maybe also ticks. Anyone hear of this?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought it was Coca Cola.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:48 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Years ago I remember people talking about Avon oil for the skin that was effective fighting mosquitoes--maybe also ticks. Anyone hear of this?
"Skin so Soft" is the item you're thinking of. It was supposed to be good for many insects. I'm sure Avon wasn't thinking of that use when it was developed. My Mom was an Avon Lady for 50 years but don't remember her ever using that as a sales pitch .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:04 AM   #13

Registry
Avon "Skin so Soft" was proven to NOT have any insect repellent properties.
Just another myth.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:29 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Avon "Skin so Soft" was proven to NOT have any insect repellent properties.
Just another myth.
Byron, I know you pretty much always knock comments by folks with some kind of survey/test or whatever but there have been many people that have used that product with good results for them. Every ones body chemistry is different and can change the overall results making your blanket comment moot. The makeup of SSS in itself may not have the repellent properties you speak of but when you add in the body makeup it changes. I remember having it rubbed on me as a little kid in Michigan..it did keep the dang skeeters with landing lights from biting me. To many things in the real world trump what lab testing finds.....for a lot of folks that have personal experience. My wife can be standing right next to me and be getting bit by insects and they don't bother me, it's the body chemistry.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #15

Byron, I also read a study where it said that stuff did not work. I think it was in consumers reports. I suggest people just purchase the real stuff that is proven to work and skip the the stuff that is not recomended.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Janis,
Here is my take on this. The widely available product Repel contains permanone.
This is a very effective tick repellant for all kinds of ticks. Read the label and use as directed. Personal examination for ticks after being out of doors may reveal unattached or attached ticks that can be properly dealt with. For mosquitos Deet products are good. Be careful with repeated applications of 100 % Deet products on hot sweaty days, it can affect your nervous system when overdone. You can't live in fear, but awareness and proper preparation can greatly reduce your risks as in most any endeavor. We have both Lyme disease and West Nile in our area and camp all season.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #17

100% Deet. We used it in Viet Nam to remove paint.
Put it on your skin and your skin got hot.