Dinkey Lakes Trailhead camp, California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
This past weekend/early week, DH and I took our daughters on their first backpacking trip. How does this relate to the FGT? Well, we live 5 hours drive from the trailhead, and while DH has a millionaire's desires when it comes to travel accommodations, we do tend toward a much more frugal (realistic) budget. He'd wanted to drive toward the trailhead, then get a hotel room for the night so we could start our hike in the morning. I pointed out our Compact would provide free lodging right AT the trailhead. (We've done most of our trailering without him, so it just isn't in the forefront in his trip planning.) After letting him think on it for a couple of days, he finally determined the trailer would be a good option - cheap, easy, and directly at trailhead.

The road in to Dinkey Lake Trailhead is pretty rough for the last 15 miles or so - decomposing asphalt leaves some nasty potholes, and the dirt road, while smoother than THOSE potholes, is fairly rough at times. We took it slowly and had no problems. At the road's end, there are NO services, so bring your own everything. Still, it's a worthwhile stop IF you're into some fantastic day hiking! (Or, heck, pack it on and take sometime in the wilderness.) There's a pleasant 7-mile loop hike that passes three wonderful little lakes ideal for photos, splashing about, even fishing if you don't mind small catches. For more details, here's the trip report on my blog.

To get there, take Highway 168 from Fresno up past Prather and on toward Shaver. JUST before reaching the town of Shaver, turn right toward Dinkey Creek, then turn left onto 9S10 just past the Swamp Lake trailhead.

If the rugged drive doesn't do it for you, consider any of a number of pullouts in the forest, or head down to the managed Dinkey Creeks Campground. The drive without trailer to the trailhead is an easy one.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for posting - enjoyed the narrative and your pictures. It doesn't get much better than camping with your family.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
That is a wonderful area to back pack. My Dad and I had packed there for years and years. Just beautiful and easy to get to. Several nice little lakes on the loop. It's easiest if you walk/hike in going clock wise on the loop.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Thanks Jen your post brought back many memory's.
When my boys little we would fish on Dinky Creek. We lived in Fresno at the time so it was always a day trip. MY youngest is now 35.
Enjoy your time with your beautiful little ones as the time goes by to quickly.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Wow! Great to see some people talking about my neck of the woods. We live in Fresno now. arent we lucky we can travel to these great places in a couple of hours with our old 13ft Burro in tow. We just made our second trip to Huntington Lake in the past month. Huntington is about 45 miutes farther up the road from Shaver Lake for those that have not been here. At Huntington Lake we stay in Deer Creek Campground. It was voted one of the top (100?) campgrounds in the state. It is right on the lake. Also have another reservation for the end of the month there. And although I have not taken the Burro up any farther I have gone up Kiaser Pass Road there and camped at Portal Forbay, Edison Lake and Florance lake. All way up in the high country. We have some GREAT places out here gang. Come visit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	22742

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	22743

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG