DO NOT STAY WITH ELK CREEK CAMPGROUND - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Elk Creek Campground, New Castle, Colorado does not deserve the support of the RV community!

I've been planning a trip to the Glenwood Springs area of Colorado for the past year to take two weeks of instructions. I tried making reservations last Fall, but none of the RV parks in the area (there are only 3!) would accept reservations until the first of April. So I did my research and found the nicest of the 3 and made my reservations the 1st of March. I'm glad I did, because they were almost booked for the summer when I called!!!!! I'm supposed to leave for Glenwood Springs on the 15th of June.............just 7 days from now. Last night I received a telephone call from the campground telling me they'd cancelled my 15 day reservation.............along with everyone elses, because an oil company had come in and reserved the entire park for the whole season, and beyond, for their employees. There are no other decent reservations in the area.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That's a bummer. That reminds me of when the Queen came to visit Yosemite valley and people with reservations made way in advance just got kicked out- tough luck, the queen is coming so you can't.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Meh. The best camping is free anyway.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
wow.. thats crazy.. I guess with the rising fuel prices, the oil companies can buy almost anything they want..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I guess with the rising fuel prices, the oil companies can buy almost anything they want..
Or, with rising fuel prices, they are trying to cut their costs so they are demoting the expense account allowance from hotels to RV parks.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
lol good point...
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I was *almost* tossed out of a hotel in Mexico because Vicente' Fox decided to visit on the same nites I was there.

We barely got our rooms back when they checked and we could take the last 3 they had the entourage' didn't take. We got suites for the same price as our usual rooms.. thats all that was left.

It pays to be a good customer. I won't tell you about constantly being followed by men talking into their lapels.. (Yep, really.. we had special forces assigned to all of us.)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #8

I'm going nuts (not too far to go from where I normally live!) trying to find some place to stay in Glenwood Springs for my classes. I have to be there this coming Monday night!!!!! If anyone knows anyone in the area who could "host" me for the two weeks I need to be there, I'd appreciate the help.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I'm going nuts (not too far to go from where I normally live!) trying to find some place to stay in Glenwood Springs for my classes. I have to be there this coming Monday night!!!!! If anyone knows [b]anyone in the area who could "host" me for the two weeks I need to be there, I'd appreciate the help.
Have you contacted the oranization that's putting on the training? Or perhaps the facility where the training is being held? If there's a motel in the area, maybe you can camp in their back lot if you explain the circumstances?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hmmm ... another example of "he who has the gold makes the rules", eh?

You might consider a cute little town about 28 miles west of Glenwood called Rifle, CO. A short drive beats not getting to participate in your classes. Didn't 'google' for RV parks but I'll bet there is at least one. Hope this helps, and good luck with this trip. L 'n D
Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Have you contacted the oranization that's putting on the training? Or perhaps the facility where the training is being held? If there's a motel in the area, maybe you can camp in their back lot if you explain the circumstances?
Yes, and they haven't been able to help. There are a lot of motels in the area. I've checked with several but have had no luck.

Quote:
Hmmm ... another example of "he who has the gold makes the rules", eh?

You might consider a cute little town about 28 miles west of Glenwood called Rifle, CO. A short drive beats not getting to participate in your classes. Didn't 'google' for RV parks but I'll bet there is at least one. Hope this helps, and good luck with this trip. L 'n D
I'm looking at Rifle Gap State Park, just above Rifle as a possibility. Also trying to get a contact person for the Rifle County Fairgrounds.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Chris, It's unfortunate that they did that too you. But I am gonna say it doesn't surprise me. I know exactly what campground your talking about. (long Story!) Hopefully Rifle Gap will work for you.

What I wanted to tell you, is you don't have to go all the way into Rifle. You can get off the hwy at New Castle and drive out like you are going to the above named campground. Just don't take the right at the Y, Stay to the left and take that road out to Rifle Gap. You will only have to do one turn (left) But follow the signs it will take you right to Rifle Gap. They have redone alot of the their sites so it will as least be some hook ups compared to years ago when it was just a dirt site. Good Luck! Robin

Also I would write a review on this at every review website I could.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote