Do The National Parks Try To Discourage Campers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It would be nice if everyone was a good steward of our forests and campgrounds. But, we know that isn't true. Folks leave trash, don't cleanup after pets and ignore signs about staying on trails and not picking plants and shrubs. It's because of THOSE people restrictions have to be placed. It's too bad there's so much of a "me" world.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I'm very lucky, I live surrounded by the Sequoia National Forest.
The Forest Service is supposed to manage the Forest with multiple use in mind.
Every year we lose more Forest to what I call protectionists.
Large areas of the Forest are now locked up for 6 and 7 months at a time even though there is no snow or other dangers.
The future of camping in our Forests is in danger.
John
John I suspect you are right.

In your area do they not say why they are doing it prior to doing it? Around here we have the same problem but they will normally hold public meetings prior to the closing to explain why they are doing it - often public meetings have been going on for years prior to the closer in attempts to educate people to correct what ever is happening that they have concerns about.

Some of the common reasons here for closing an area outside of a high forest fire danger time are people chopping up whole or fallen trees for camp fires; erosion caused by mountain biking, ATM's or illegal tree removal; to many people riding or walking though sensitive spawning streams; people letting their dogs chase wild life; inappropriate disposal of waste in sensitive stream areas.

Sadly it all comes down to economics - its cheaper to just close a problem area to protect it, than it is to hire more park rangers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
John I suspect you are right.

Sadly it all comes down to economics - its cheaper to just close a problem area to protect it, than it is to hire more park rangers.
When you view all public employees as the ENEMY it gives cover for poor leadership from our so called political leaders
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #24

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In your area do they not say why they are doing it prior to doing it?
Yes, they do let people know why they are closing some areas. Sequoia National Park asked for input from the public before making these decisions. Go to their Park Management page and you can read the documents and the records of the proceedings.

As Donna noted, many people are not conscious of the impact they have on parks. In my many visits to national parks and national forests I have witnessed people feeding wildlife, picking up pine cones at campgrounds, gathering wood and leaving trash behind, among other irresponsible behavior.

We need to protect some of our wild spaces so the various critters that live there can thrive. Without healthy wild places our ecosystem will collapse around us. Unfortunately, too many people have shown they cannot or will not use our parks and forests responsibly, so we all have to pay the price.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
Yes, they do let people know why they are closing some areas. Sequoia National Park asked for input from the public before making these decisions. Go to their Park Management page and you can read the documents and the records of the proceedings.

As Donna noted, many people are not conscious of the impact they have on parks.
Thanks Doc - it appears its the same as here, decisions to close an area are not done without due process, lots of public input and a good deal of money & time spent on researching the issue and exploring the options. Around here they will often try alternatives to closing the area first..... but when that fails to get the attention of the "not conscious" group sadly the doors are closed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Some people complain about those who want to camp with all the luxuries of home then turn around and complain when the national parks don't supply those luxury items in their camp grounds. Yes, A hot shower is a luxury when you're Roughing It. We camp with the flush toilet, hot shower, HDTV, cook stove , Heat and Air conditioning. Did the Roughing It when in the Army and that was enough for a lifetime.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Some people complain about those who want to camp with all the luxuries of home then turn around and complain when the national parks don't supply those luxury items in their camp grounds. Yes, A hot shower is a luxury when you're Roughing It. We camp with the flush toilet, hot shower, HDTV, cook stove , Heat and Air conditioning. Did the Roughing It when in the Army and that was enough for a lifetime.

Ditto - although in my case my "roughing it" thing was with a canoe, portaging and paddling, set up pup tent, etc, etc while doing field research for my Master's Thesis.

Now I complain when room service is slow

That's why my trailer has all 'mod cons" and we stay at campgrounds that have water, sewer and power.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #28

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
When I was younger I used to camp at music festivals and thought a two-inch foam mattress in my tent was luxurious. I would backpack to backcountry campgrounds and use a self-inflating pad under my sleeping bag and feel comfortable in my three-pound tent and down sleeping bag.

Now my idea of roughing it is buying a tent for my truck bed and sleeping on a four-inch air mattress; because I won't have a bathroom.

But I plan to have a a fiberglass trailer for a base camp.

Reminds me of a line from the movie The Electric Horseman. When you get older not all your body parts wake up at the same time. Broke parts take longer.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote