Do you bring your dog to Nat'l Parks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I guess for this trip we will leave him behind....though it feels like leaving a member of the family behind....
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Look at the reunion you'll have to look forward to, the howls and yowls and tail wagging so fast you can barely see it. You'll be able to enjoy yourself on your trip knowing your fur-kid is well taken care of too.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Just a note.. I just did my first ever "Road" trip without my "children". Altho I enjoyed making much better time than normal, stopping only when I felt like it, instead of HAVING to stop.. and I most certainly had more room and "free" time when stopped over nite..

I felt eerily lost. My routine when I camp rotates SO much around walkies and tethers and feeding schedules and litter box scooping, that I was actually LOST.. and could not really relax. The last time I felt like that was when I quit smoking.. a BIG part of my daily routine was blown out of the water.

I walked around the campground I stayed at in Casa Grande with my morning cofffe, just as if I was walking the dogs, but it wasn't the same.

Ask Mike.. I often "borrow" his dog to walk when I am at rallies I can't take mine to.

Gina D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft

Buddy loves it...
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Only one Nat. Park we've traveled to allowed dogs to actually walk about, usually they have to stay in cars, or at most stay in parking lots.

If you ever travel west, the Olympic National Park allows dogs on the beach areas between Ruby Beach and Kalaloch - it's a treat, walk your pooch pal on some of the most beautiful, rugged beaches.

One time we stopped at Mt. St Helen's National Monument, not planned, and asked if we could take our (then) corgi in our canoe on the lake as we didn't want to leave him in the car. We had to meet with the head ranger, be interviewed, then they watched as we carried him 5' from car to canoe and back after a short canoe ride! We totally respect the no dogs rules in fragile areas and appreciated the odd exception they made for us.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico

El Morro is dog-friendly!
At El Morro National Monument, you may take your pet on the trails with you. Your pet must be under control and on a leash at all times.

Pets off–leash can scare and possibly harm native wildlife like birds, rabbits, and squirrels. They can damage biological soils and vegetation. The steep drop–offs at the top of the bluff also make it dangerous for a pet not on a leash. Please respect this regulation so that others can enjoy the trails with their pets in the future.

Note: Pets are not permitted in the visitor center. Please check-in with us first and we will direct you to the trails.
DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My Lily is with me always. There have been places that I would have liked to go to but it was too hot to leave Lily in the Jeep. If the trailer is near by with power I leave her there with the A/C on. I've really never felt like I've missed much. Two people actually have an advantage because you can alternate watching the animal if necessary.

You simply need to check with the Rangers to find out where you can walk your animal. I live just north of Yosemite NP. Animals are allowed in the Valley on the trails and roads but are not allowed in the back country. Found this to be true at Yellowstone also. I haven't felt the need in recent years to go into the back country in either park so there has been no problem. At Yosemite we generally bike around the valley getting off occasionally to stretch Lily's legs.

Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Though not always the same experience, many National Parks have adjacent National Forest lands and as many of you with dog companions know, dogs are welcome in National Forest areas, on the trails, campgrounds, etc. In our neck of the woods some of the less populated and thus more pleasant places to camp are on National Forest lands, with a view of the nearby National Park wonder, i.e. camping, canoeing at Mt. Adams, with nice views of Mt. St. Helens; or National Forest Lands adjacent to Mt. Rainier, etc. In the past (without a dog now) finding doggy friendly camp sites over the years led me to many wonderful spots in National Forests or on DNR lands.

I know this is off topic of dogs in National Parks, but thought I'd throw it in!

Name:   Image_21_.gif
Views: 14
Size:  2.0 KB
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Planning on hitting several NP this summer. From MN to ND to WY then SD and back home over two weeks time.

I know many of you travel with your pets, but in this case would you leave him behind?
Yes, leave the dogs behind. It's hard to hike in National Parks with your dog on a leash. In addition, some animals can get sick from exposure to dogs and their maladies. Endangered critters.

I like dogs and I really enjoy hiking with dogs. But they don't belong in National Parks.

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote