Do you bring your dog to Nat'l Parks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Planning on hitting several NP this summer. From MN to ND to WY then SD and back home over two weeks time.

Theodore Roosevelt NP
Yellowstone NP
Grand Teton NP
Devils Tower NM
Custer State Park in South Dakota
Mt Rushmore
Badlands NP

I understand dogs are allowed but must be leashed. My problem is what to do with him when we go to see sights/attractions that don't allow dogs. It will be about mid-july so perhaps too hot to leave him in the vehicle. I'd love to bring the little guy, but don't want to if he can't go anywhere besides hang out in the car or campground alone (not fun for him). I am resigned to have to leave him behind with the in-laws.

I know many of you travel with your pets, but in this case would you leave him behind?
Dan Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
depends on the hook up situation. If I can run the air conditioning, I am fine with leaving them in the trailer for an hour or two. I have to have the windows closed due to one that barks.

Otherwise, I adjust, choosing to leave them at the sitter, or not doing the sight seeing thing.

Having one that does not play well with others, I am resigned to hanging out with him at the rig, or away from others if he comes, but those that have been to rallies with me know for the most part, he just doesn't get to come, or he is bansihed to being in the trailer while I am socializing.

On long trips, I try to maximize my driving time during the day, so they are not as exposed in the overnite stay campground, otherwise, I asses the situation and decide what to do when I get there. Often times, it means giving up some people fun. Thats part of dog ownership.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

I'd love to bring my beagle on this trip, but I fear he will spend a lot of time alone while we are gone, since the intent is to do sight seeing. Guess he will have to stay behind. I hate it when I can't bring him with me, he is like a member of family.

Once I tried to bring him into a Culver's restaurant when he was still 10 weeks old. Boy did the old lady employee stopped me fast! I knew better, but let the best get to me! She was so mean, I never will step foot in another Culver's (don't like the butterburgers anyways).
Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #4

Registry
if you have a Beagle, I know your pain. I have 3 now, from 17 weeks old, to 16 years old. If your pup is typical Beagle, it is best not to take him if your side trips and non dog times are frequent. Your nieghbors will cheer you.

BUT, if you plan ahead, you can find doggie day care for him in the area you wish to see. I do this for the Oregon Gathering. I take the herd with me for the coming and going trip, but drop them off at the kennel during the actual event. Sort of a best of both worlds thing.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
Planning on hitting several NP this summer. From MN to ND to WY then SD and back home over two weeks time.

Theodore Roosevelt NP
Yellowstone NP
Grand Teton NP
Devils Tower NM
Mt Rushmore
Badlands NP
Don't know what kind of dog you have but we travel with a 13# Shih Tzu. We traveled clear across country last summer,,,Boarded the cat and took the dog. We went sight-seeing along the way, and at a national park, even in the gift shop, we carried the dog. The clerks looked but did not comment. I had read some place that you can carry a pet and there is no problem. We did not leave him in the trailer because it was so hot! Earlier in the year we left him for 1-2 hours in the Trill with no problems. (fortunately, he is not a 'Yap-dog). Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Mt. Rushmore says no to dogs, except for in their dog walk areas, (which I believe are outside of the inner sanctum of the park.)
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:

Theodore Roosevelt NP
Yellowstone NP
Grand Teton NP
Devils Tower NM
Mt Rushmore
Badlands NP

Try: National Park Services Dog Policy. Lots of information there. Luck, Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
humm a tough one. Pets are members of the family. I suppose you need to ask yourself, do you want to take the pup on this trip for him.. or for you? I doubt your dog will know or even care he may be visiting some of the finest NPs in the country. He'd be just as happy playing in a dog area in some city park. Will taking the dog prevent you from seeing or going to some areas and when will be the next time you may be able to visit? If this is your one chance to really sightsee is having the dog along going to stop YOUR enjoyment? While your dog may be very well behaved, and you have to leave him inside the trailer, is there even a remote chance you'll come back to your trailer and find chewed up cushions, rugs and curtains? Lots of things to consider and I'm sure you're going to make the right one for both you and the pup, whatever that may be.

Best of luck in your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You have to weigh the positives of traveling with your dog versus the negatives of having to leave them behind, have someone care for them, the stress due to separation, the costs of boarding them, etc. This past summer our dog (along with us) saw Crater Lake NP, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, and Rocky Mountain NP. Granted some of it was spent snoozing in the Casita, (the dog that is), but somehow someway it all worked out.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We take our pet with us when camping. Jane is always ready for a good hike.
Asking permission to bring a dog into a store is a good policy. I have been surprised how many will allow dogs.
Most eating establishments that have outside service, seating will except Jane the dog.
Attached Thumbnails
i00067.jpg  
Leehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
We too have a JR that likes to camp with us. She has a leash long enough for her to sniff the bushes around the edge of the campsite and a kennel to sleep in and protect her from unwanted dangers. When sightseeing we will take turns with her while the other "does the thing". If she's not accepted then we will forgo the event in her favour.
After all it's her trip too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin_River_2005__8___Holly.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	17688
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Question

There is good reason to keep your dog on a leash inside parks, or indeed any wilderness area: There are bears there, for one thing. Picture this scenario: Dog finds bear. Dog chases bear. Bear doesn't chase like squirrels at home. Bear chases dog. Dog runs back to owner. Now owner is dealing with a scared dog and an angry bear. Not a pretty sight.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
[quote]We too have a JR that likes to camp with us. She has a leash long enough for her to sniff the bushes around the edge of the campsite and a kennel to sleep in and protect her from unwanted dangers. When sightseeing we will take turns with her while the other "does the thing". If she's not accepted then we will forgo the event in her favour.
After all it's her trip too.

Attachment 17688

James,
J R. are the most loyal dogs. Jane is great with kids, she is a great ice breaker. When traveling leash is used at all times. I removed the leash from the Savannah photo in photoshop......
Attached Thumbnails
169A8754_copy.jpg   IMG_0210_copy.tif_6x9__home_town.jpg_5x7_post_card.jpg  

Leehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand the NP policy. If we were just camping I would take him in a heartbeat. But being we want to sightsee some areas where dogs aren't allowed, then dogs aren't so welcome there. I guess for this trip we will leave him behind....though it feels like leaving a member of the family behind....

Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I guess for this trip we will leave him behind....though it feels like leaving a member of the family behind....
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Look at the reunion you'll have to look forward to, the howls and yowls and tail wagging so fast you can barely see it. You'll be able to enjoy yourself on your trip knowing your fur-kid is well taken care of too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #16

Registry
Just a note.. I just did my first ever "Road" trip without my "children". Altho I enjoyed making much better time than normal, stopping only when I felt like it, instead of HAVING to stop.. and I most certainly had more room and "free" time when stopped over nite..

I felt eerily lost. My routine when I camp rotates SO much around walkies and tethers and feeding schedules and litter box scooping, that I was actually LOST.. and could not really relax. The last time I felt like that was when I quit smoking.. a BIG part of my daily routine was blown out of the water.

I walked around the campground I stayed at in Casa Grande with my morning cofffe, just as if I was walking the dogs, but it wasn't the same.

Ask Mike.. I often "borrow" his dog to walk when I am at rallies I can't take mine to.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake

Buddy loves it...
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Only one Nat. Park we've traveled to allowed dogs to actually walk about, usually they have to stay in cars, or at most stay in parking lots.

If you ever travel west, the Olympic National Park allows dogs on the beach areas between Ruby Beach and Kalaloch - it's a treat, walk your pooch pal on some of the most beautiful, rugged beaches.

One time we stopped at Mt. St Helen's National Monument, not planned, and asked if we could take our (then) corgi in our canoe on the lake as we didn't want to leave him in the car. We had to meet with the head ranger, be interviewed, then they watched as we carried him 5' from car to canoe and back after a short canoe ride! We totally respect the no dogs rules in fragile areas and appreciated the odd exception they made for us.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

El Morro is dog-friendly!
At El Morro National Monument, you may take your pet on the trails with you. Your pet must be under control and on a leash at all times.

Pets off–leash can scare and possibly harm native wildlife like birds, rabbits, and squirrels. They can damage biological soils and vegetation. The steep drop–offs at the top of the bluff also make it dangerous for a pet not on a leash. Please respect this regulation so that others can enjoy the trails with their pets in the future.

Note: Pets are not permitted in the visitor center. Please check-in with us first and we will direct you to the trails.

http://www.nps.gov/elmo/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/elmo/planyourvisit/pets.htm
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My Lily is with me always. There have been places that I would have liked to go to but it was too hot to leave Lily in the Jeep. If the trailer is near by with power I leave her there with the A/C on. I've really never felt like I've missed much. Two people actually have an advantage because you can alternate watching the animal if necessary.

You simply need to check with the Rangers to find out where you can walk your animal. I live just north of Yosemite NP. Animals are allowed in the Valley on the trails and roads but are not allowed in the back country. Found this to be true at Yellowstone also. I haven't felt the need in recent years to go into the back country in either park so there has been no problem. At Yosemite we generally bike around the valley getting off occasionally to stretch Lily's legs.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote