Door Co and Wisc. Dells - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Name: Robbilayne
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft (former 1985 Scamp 16 ft)
Missouri
Registry
Hello everyone! I'm picking up my brand new 2010 13' Scamp from Backus in a couple of weeks and then heading over to Door County Wisconsin and to the Dells. Has anyone been kayaking there? I will have my own kayak with me, but would like advice and suggestions on the best bay areas of Door County to visit and kayak...most scenic, lighthouses, beaches, kayaking tours, awesome (reasonable $) restaurants, etc. etc. And, where is best to try in the Dells...the upper or lower? Also, any other places of interest between Backus and Wisc that I should not miss? Would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions! Thanks!
Robbilayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Make sure to take some time around Mille Lacs Lake. Backus is very close to Brainerd, too, and that is where you visit Paul Bunyon. Congrats and have fun!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Kayaking in the Wisconsin Dells is possible but there are areas to avoid. The most scenic areas are restricted, carry stong currents and are full of tour boats. Those scenic areas of the dells are owned by the Dells Boat Company and all the shoreline is private property for use by Dells Boat Company lanuches only. Nearby is Lake Delton, I believe it is now filled as it sprung a leak several years ago and completly drained. Also the Wiscsonin River offers many areas to kayak.

Nearby is Mirror Lake SP, a beautiful spot with many narrow bays. Also Devils Lake SP, great vistas, climbing, scrambling and hiking. Both these locations have nice state campgrounds. One of our favorite in Wiscsonin is Mirror Lake.

In Door County there appears to be more kayaking on the eastern shore with the Mink River offering the best inland opportunities. I am not familar with favorites if you choose to sea kayak. Our favorite campground is Penninsula SP with an alternative at Potawami SP. I have heard of and researched Wagon Trail, a private campground but do not have personal experience. For a review try www.campgroundreviews.com

All the campgrounds will be full on weekends till mid October. Reservations are available through ReserveAmerica.com or if you arrive on a week day I would expect sites will be available.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #4

Missouri
Registry
Thank you soooo much, Darnelle & Paul. I am adding your suggestions to my list and going to work them into my visit! I can't wait to get up there! I've heard the area is beautiful! ~Robbie
Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Coming from Backus, Minnesota, Google takes one through Minneapolis, MN and then Eau Claire, Wausau, and Shawno WI to Ephraim - 514 miles.

Our favorite place in Door County, in the days when we tent camped, was Peninsula State Park.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/...nsula/index.htm

At the time I had a sail boat and it was easy to drive from the campsite to the launch area with the mast up, no overhead wires. Plus there are many hiking trails, view towers and the relatively protected waters of Green Bay. This was forty years ago, but I doubt it has changed all that much. I see they do have some sites with electricity. I don't know the necessity of having a reservation...

The view of Eagle Bluff from Ephraim is nice:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

and there are bays and islands to explore.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

While you are there, be sure to try a Door County Fish Boil. It is an experience not to be missed.

Camping near the Dells, Rocky Arbor State Park is nice. A word of warning: Wisconsin Dells is the typical 'tourist trap'. The only thing that I feel is worth doing there are the boat rides, Upper and Lower Dells. If you only do one, do the Upper Dells. If you do both, do the Lower Dells first. Reason, the Lower Dells is nice but not as spectacular as the Upper.

South of the Dells is Baraboo and the Circus World Museum, The House on The Rock, Tower Hill State Park, where they used to make lead shot, this is lead mining country. There is also a natural bridge in this area. A little south of the Wisconsin River, is Cave of the Mounds.

http://www.caveofthemounds.com/index.html

You can follow the Wisconsin River to:

Prairie Du Chein where there are historical things like Fort Crawford, Villa Louis, and the smallest National Cemetery.

http://www.prairieduchien.org/visitors/index.htm

Along this route, there are many things to see and do. The internet is your best friend to find them.

Enjoy, and congratulations on your new egg.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #6

Missouri
Registry
Wow, Paul...a ton of great info! Thank you. I can't wait to get going next week! I have so many cool things on my list now that I don't want to miss that I'm just going to have to Scamp Camp up there all summer long!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #7

Missouri
Registry
Paul... I just noticed that your TV is a Subaru. I bought a Forester to pull my Scamp. I love my Subie.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Paul... I just noticed that your TV is a Subaru. I bought a Forester to pull my Scamp. I love my Subie.
If you mean me, I am not Paul. He he.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #9

Missouri
Registry
Oh, what a goof I am! Thanks Roger! (I bet nobody else has tried to rename you lately!!!)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
If you are taking kids and want a great place to stay that was clean and fun I would suggest Jellystone in the Dells, I took my Cloud there on its maiden voyage with the kids and we loved it. $40 a night but that is pretty much what every campground costs in that area.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
So, I see someone picked up a thread that's a year old, plus. But it makes me curious. How was the trip to the Dells, Robbilayne?
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote