Down East, Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Just back from up in Down East Maine. This time we decided not to aim for Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, though it is a favorite place. The plan was to find the places we’ve missed.

Regardless, our first night was in the big parking lot of downtown Freeport, adjacent to the LL Bean warehouse store, where space is available free for any RV, large or small. In fact, this time of year there was so much space we over-nighted close up to the visitors center/rest rooms building. I should mention the rest rooms were open, though a sign posted on one of the doors said otherwise. I suspect it meant to refer only to the visitors center itself. Pays to pull on the door handle. LL Bean open 24 hours. Got a nice shirt, and a sleeping bag zipper problem was resolved.

We pulled out next morning for Bath, and the Maine Maritime Museum, a first class learning experience for anyone interested in the New England commercial sail boat industry of the last two hundred years. In fact, this is the very place where the mammoth but quickly obsolete Wyoming was built, in 1906, I think.

After a stop at a Shaw’s super market for supplies we followed signs to and through Boothbay Harbor, a very busy in the summer town, out to Gray Homestead Oceanfront Campground (pix #2). On the coast off yet another cove, it has full hookups and accommodates the big boys, starting at $36 per night. There’s sea breeze, moss and lichen and roots coming out of the ground everywhere, and little pine cones began dropping on our burro the second night. We had Lob-stah, in town, and traveled all over the area.

Our brief coastal experience done, we turned west. After doing the Cumberland County Fair, which featured ox and draft horse pulling contests, we found Sebago Lake State Park (pix #3). No hooks ups, but not far from water spigots, at $13 a night, very clean showers and rest rooms. Don’t try driving out of the campsite area at night. It’s a maize. We intended to go farther north, up to Baxter State Park where I had tent camped many years ago, but it came time to go home before we knew what happened. Must do Baxter another time. Must also return to Portland, a gem of a city.

Once home this, our first extended trip with the Burro (my year-long restoration project,) made it clear changes were necessary. We never used the large dinette table, and, my small fold-away table over the front gaucho seating was unsatisfactory. It was a pain to open up, and impractical for seating. The other big thing was our porta-potty leaked. There must be a missing rubber washer connecting the two halves. I need to add a hook on a cabinet for the garbage bag. My other half would probably add to all this... we need a bigger rv! Yah, well....

My plan is to make the stove cover do double duty as a dining table in the center of the room. It will hang off the cabinet door. This will give two people plenty of seating room facing each other at either end while dining, with every need at arm’s length. We have very long arms. I probably will remove the front mini-table and re-make that space into mini-storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Freeport.jpg   GraysCampME.jpg  

SebagoLake.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Nice report.

I love Maine. I haven't been in several years, the last time I went was to climb Katahdin in Baxter State Park. In a few years we plan to take the Casita up to Baxter where I'll climb Katahdin yet again.

LL Bean's is great. Looks like you encountered heavy fog there, too. Last time I went the fog rolled in off the sea like cotton.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Thank you Myron I have only visited Maine from a sailers view point. nice to see posts from that area. A long trip for us on the left cost
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
[quote]
Just back from up in Down East Maine. This time we decided not to aim for Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, though it is a favorite place. The plan was to find the places we’ve missed.

Glad you had a great time in my home state. This is our first year with a small camper (Boler 13 footer) and the wife and I been off on a few trips in Maine and met some of the nicest people.
I too use to go to Baxter and didn't even know that they allowed campers in as I was alway hikeing into romote camp sites to enjoy the wilderness. I will have to check up on this.
Also next year we do plan to go to Acadia for a week or so depending on when the wife can get time off but we also love to go to the Pindarosa Campground in Wells Maine as Footbridge Beach on the ocean in Ogunquite is one of our most favorite spots to go.
Maybe we can hook up sometimes in the future for a caravan or if your ever comeing over to Western Maine or the North Conway New Hampshire area during trout fishing season I could take you for some nice native brook trout.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #5

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Gerry, I wanted to go back to Baxter because it is such a great place, but the times I spent there in my youth were either in a tent or in one of the cabins. I do not know if they allow any kind of trailer camping in the park, either. It has been many years, but as I recall the park rules referencing anything that smacked of the 20th century (and after,) were very strict. So, any rv might be verbotten. But, don't know that for sure.

Never climbed Mt Katadhin, Bob. Once, on one short hike, we missed a marked turn on the trail and instead of looping around back to the car we hiked well past dusk and ended up completely lost. When the trail came to an abrupt end at a raging trout stream, about 10 pm, we quit for the night. After maybe half an hour we got startled by loud rustling in the woods and jumped up ready to fight for our lives.

But it turned out to be a trout fisherman on his way back to his car. Turns out we had hiked right out of the park! He was nice enough to take an hour to drive us back to where we left our car. I still remember well the joy of squeezing into the back seat of that little Toyota. Needless to say, at midnight or whatever time it was, those beers sure tasted good that night.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Gerry, I wanted to go back to Baxter because it is such a great place, but the times I spent there in my youth were either in a tent or in one of the cabins. I [b]do not know if they allow any kind of trailer camping in the park, either. It has been many years, but as I recall the park rules referencing [b]anything that smacked of the 20th century (and after,) were very strict. So, any rv might be verbotten. But, don't know that for sure.
Apparently you can take an rv into the park. Your combined length (tow vehicle and trailer) can't be over 44 feet, nor over 7 feet wide. I think most fiberglass RVs are safe and under those measurements.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Maine is one of our favorite states to camp in, my family goes back to 1794 in the Union, Waldoboro area. When I was a lad we used to go to Mt Katadin every now and then. 2 years ago we spent some time on kezar Lake at a private campground which was sold out to the writer Stephen King, who apparently is trying to buy out the whole lake. We bought our groceries at the "Wicked Good Store". That same year We also spent a week at Lake Seneca on Rt 131 (the old Appelton Rd) looking through the Union Common Cemetary for family members graves. (I was working on a a family tree). In the 70's I also skied in Jackman Maine. The pine Tree State has been a most enjoyable place for me and my family