Driving the Sky Line Drive in VA. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've camped here. Very unique, as it is a private campground ON the parkway. I recommend it.

Nearby Mt Airy is a hoot! Its the town Mayberry was based on, and still caters to that notoriety. Pork Chop at Snappy Lunch is a must!

https://fancygapcabinsandcampground.com/

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #16

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Trillium 4500 & Boler 1700
Michigan
If you are planning on going on one of the cave tour of Mammouth cave, you may want to make reservations in advance. They often fill up in the summer. Some of the tours include parts of other tours. The lantern tour is cool, but not if smoke bothers you. We did not do the wild cave tour because it sold out, but they measure you for it. When we went to Mammouth the friendly ranger measured us & said I probably couldn't go. How to put this, things that squish (like bellies, and curving in your shoulders) get more leyway. It's a hard measurement for hip size (which doesn't squish).

Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I'm sure you've driven Crawford Notch or the Kanc. The grades are no worse. That said, some of the grades do get steep if you head west to the George Washington N.F. in West Virginia.

I stayed at Elizabeth Furnace a few years back. Local to Front Royal. There was a new bath house with showers, rare for NFS. The sites were arranged in a circle with the bath house centrally located as I recall. The only thing I didnt like was the host locked the gate for the night and you had to wait until he got up if you wanted to leave.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #18

Name: Betty
Trailer: Heartland Edge M18
Texas
We did it a few years ago in a 19ft. Heartland pulled by an Acura MDX full of people and dogs. Parts of the trip at the beginning seemed steep to us, but the speed limit is very slow and drivers are patientWe had no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend Loft Mountain Campground, if you're into dry camping. It's incredibly gorgeous, especially at night. The campsites are unique. Fresh water and dump station are present at the campground, along with nice shower facilities, a small store, and a great laundromat.
brabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #19

Name: AndyT
Trailer: Thor
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Wife and I are thinking of driving south on the Sky Line Drive this summer in our 17 ft Casita.
Has anyone driven over it and does it have any steep grades up or down?
Any sharp curves, hair-pin curves on grades?
Low Tunnels or bridges to go under?

Also our travel mates are in a 27ft motor home towing a trailer with a "spider" bike on it will he have any troubles?
Thanks for any advice.
Gerry
-------------------------------------
From the website : RVs, camping trailers, and horse trailers are welcome, but be prepared to shift into low gear. Be sure you will clear Marys Rock Tunnel (just south of Thornton Gap entrance from Route 211) at 12'8".

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...line-drive.htm
-------------------------------------
atihansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #20

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Looking for something
Pennsylvania
Enjoy Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park. My wife and I worked there years ago and took our grandsons there last summer. We pulled our 16' foot Scamp and camped at Loft Mountain Campground which is where we worked 46 years ago and is the last campground for trailers before exiting the southern terminus of the park.
Ken Longfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #21

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Your Radar Detector is under arrest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I would like to know how the law allows for destruction of private property, and how it allows the police to force the owner to do so under duress. Issuing a ticket is one thing, what you describe is totally different. Confiscation on the spot sounds unconstitutional....
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but the Constitution is now a worthless document and the 4th amendment has been vacated by Civil Asset Forfeiture.

Since radar detectors are illegal there, having one is a crime. The existence of a crime allows the police to take your property. Technically you are not charged, the PROPERTY is charged with the crime. How insane is that?

Your rights are an illusion.

Harold
Old 03-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Had mine confiscated in New Brunswick, Canada, and the hard wire connection cut too. And a ticket....
Old 03-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #23

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Want to thank all the people who gave me some great feed-back about the Skyline Drive. Unfortunately we are just driving through, heading west so not any time to linger but for sure it being on the East end of the USA, we will travel down this way again and spend some time.
This is the first time the wife and I will be heading West and we're looking forward to things like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Redwoods, Crater Lake, and the whole of Yellowstone.
A lot to cram in to just 16 weeks.
Thanks again.
Gerry & Barb
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but the Constitution is now a worthless document and the 4th amendment has been vacated by Civil Asset Forfeiture.

Since radar detectors are illegal there, having one is a crime. The existence of a crime allows the police to take your property. Technically you are not charged, the PROPERTY is charged with the crime. How insane is that?
Your rights are an illusion.

Harold
That was a great explanation. Funny and sad at the same time.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #25

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Bypassing the grumbling about radar

Hey fellow travelers,
The speed limit is low for a good reason, curves, bikers, hikers, horses, deer bear and hikers crossing the roads, etc. Skyline Drive is very scenic and you will enjoy it. There is a gas station at Big Meadows FYI. Go and have safe travels. It is not a scary drive, you will be fine.
PJ

PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin