Driving thru Colorado - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #15

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Personally it doesn't sound like Altitude sickness.. Altitude sickness goes away once you leave altitude. But I am sure the long drive thru CO didn't help your issue. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy our beautiful state!
And of course altitude effects different folks in different ways. I've gone to Colorado on average, once a year since I was a teenager. When I was young, we used to just drive ( or ride ) all night to get there, and then have fun for a few days and come back. Those days, I never suffered at all from the altitude. As I have got older though, I usually require about 12 hours or so to 'adjust' to it. I get out there, and will have just a low level headache for a while, then I'm fine once acclimated. Relaxing and not getting crazy/strenuous for the first day is a good plan !

My gosh....all this talk about Colorado is getting me amped up to head that way again soon ! What a gorgeous place. I'm planning on swinging thru there in late September on the way to "balloon fiesta" in NM.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
And of course altitude effects different folks in different ways..

Absolutely! But once leaving MO heading west, everything is higher altitude. As you stated, adjustment is what is needed. But I would think that by Pocatella adjustment would have happened and then by getting back to normal altitude with a day or two altitude sickness wouldn't be an issue. 10 days to getting back to feeling better tell's me, perhaps it was something else. Tummy bug, flu, etc. I am sure altitude didn't help what was going on, but can't see altitude sickness lasting for 10 days after returning to familar altitude. Just my thoughts! Altitude sickness is very serious and something we watch close when friends and family come to visit. Again, sorry Mon didn't get to enjoy traveling thru CO.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #17

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Well, no doubt whatsoever that if I'd been able to take some time, I would certainly have enjoyed it more! True, I have a couple ongoing problems that probably only made things worse. Sometimes, it's difficult remembering you're not still 20!

I WILL go back out that way when I can take my time and have my dogs with me...I really did buy the Scamp for THEM, you know!

Mon
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Sometimes, it's difficult remembering you're not still 20!

No kidding!

I WILL go back out that way when I can take my time and have my dogs with me...I really did buy the Scamp for THEM, you know!

Mon

Hope they enjoy it ! Do post pic's of your new trailer! We like pic's here............
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jim, something you might want to keep in mind, although you may already know this but the speed limit in most of Montana is posted at 75 - even though it is *very unlikely* that you are anyone else whether towing or not towing is going to be driving many of the roads (other than the main freeway) at that speed. I seem to recall that Colorado had some a high as 75 as well but not as many as Montana - Montana seems to be saving money by only having to produce one sign and saying drive at your own risk :-)))

Also some of the other states you will be towing home through have trailer speed limits - in Washington State its the posted truck speed - which is normally about 10 less than cars. If you get into California its 55 max...

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote