Driving thru Colorado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Driving thru Colorado

I'm going on a monster road trip out to British Columbia to pickup a new Escape trailer, 2800 miles in 3 days one way out thru I90/I94, the quickest and shortest way. I may take a 6 hour detour and drive Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Byway in Wyoming.
But coming back, with the trailer I want to take a more scenic route. Never been to Colorado and was thinking of driving bach thru Idaho/Utah to Colorado and then take US40 which more or less parallel's I-70 all the way across the state from Utah to RMNP and then driving thru park on US34, which is Trail Ridge Road and supposed to be spectacular.
Can or has anyone driven on Rt#40 and is it worth the additional slower time. Old mining towns and mountain views is what I want to see.I estimate 12 hours of driving time thru Colorado and then high tailing it back to Pennsylvania 3 days later. Are there gas stations on that road?
Any help would be appreciated.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Jim, I haven't been over route 40 west of RMNP. But, I have been over trail ridge road many times. The scenery is spectacular. I also remember that the speeds are slow and the driving is grueling. Mountain driving is a lot of work! And can be dangerous when tired. I think you are going to really short change yourself by rushing through CO.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree about rushing. But also question where you got 12 hours to take those roads? Both are do-able. But both are slow drives, beautiful but due to grades, curves, critters, tourist, etc in could take longer than 12 hours pulling a trailer.

But I would never travel Trail Ridge with a trailer. That's just me. With the gawkers, the critters, and the road it self. Just not an enjoyable ride pulling a trailer. Plus, half the time the weather up there can close the road in a matter of 10 min. Again, many do it, just not my thing.....................

You don't say when your coming thru, but I will warn you. Even traveling through Estes Park during the season may take you 12 hours Kidding, but sometimes just getting through town can be a slow go...........

Gas Stations along 40...... Trail Ridge, ummmmm if I remember correctly at the beginning and then once you get down towards Estes...

Beartooth with a trailer or on your way to pick up? Going up is not bad, it's a pull a big long pull.

Going down, is hell ! No other description comes to mind. Scared the be-jeeber's outta me, pulling a trailer. Steep, curves, no railing and you can see where your body will be scraped off the bottom if you don't make it down the right way.

Seriously that is an driving experience I choose never to do again! I will drive a thousand miles outta my way, to avoid Beartooth when pulling a trailer!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
I was hoping to drive Beartooth on way out to get the trailer, so I'll be trailer less. The 12 hour time was given to me by map quest, Heber ,Utah to Loveland,Co. ACtually it is now 9.5 hours. I'm trying to decide if I should go US40 or I70 which is also supposed to be spectacular in Colorado.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Jim,
Congratsulations on your new Escape!!! I would double think your time table. I drove from Harrisburg, PA to St. George, UT (2250 miles) and it took me 3 full days. From 6AM to 8PM each day. I only stopped for gas. Used drive thru's and ate while driving. Did the whole trip on interstates. I drove between 80-85mph. Coming back with the trailer will be a slow go. Even if you use interstates, the safe speed is 60-65 mph pulling the trailer. Give yourself extra time so you don't stress out. Prioritize what you really want to see so you don't shortchange your time.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
I was planning on taking 5 nights on return trip and staying one night in Chilliwack. Let me rethink/reroute my trip out.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim I am with the rest of the folks, I really think that you are going to be really pushing it.... taking the route you have planned while putting in 700 mile plus days would not be my first choose. If you are tired and dont have a lot of experience driving the mountain passes it may not be the best route for you to take - but if you where to slow your time line down and had time to take it slow and enjoy the view then yes it would be an wonderful way to go.

My experience in going through big mountain passes is pretty well as others have suggested - lots of people taking thier time and checking out the views etc and lots of people who are not use to driving in the mountains or curvy roads will not be doing anywhere near the speed limit. We have a few such roads in BC as well ;-)) and I can tell you that in the winter even with snow on the roads I can make better time than I can on the same road in the summer when there is more traffic and half the people driving the road are scared to death of it. Map Quest is basing your trip time on no gas stops and doing the speed limit all the way ... which is not likely to happen in the late spring & summer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

[QUOTE=cpaharley2008;310256]I was hoping to drive Beartooth on way out to get the trailer, so I'll be trailer less. QUOTE)

Then it won't be so bad............ Still a tough climb, but so beautiful. Nothing beautiful going down! LOL.......................
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #9

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Jim,
I know you have said that you are on a bit of a tight schedule for this trip, but to answer your question, yes the trip thru Colorado coming back would be very nice. I've ridden ( motorcycles ) and driven ( sports cars, and trucks ) on virtually every paved and a lot of un-paved roads in that state, and I'm here to tell you, there are some fabulous sights to see.

It's true that I-70 has some scenic parts, specifically thru Glenwood Canyon.

If you have the time to make the run from Steamboat Springs to Estes Park, it is definitely worth the side trip. If you do come that way, if you find that when you get to the turnoff to go north toward RMNP ( at Granby ) that you are running short on time, you can stay on US40, and run it on down there and pick up I-70 eastbound just past Empire.
But, if you do have the time to run up over Trail Ridge and on to Estes Park, it really is one of the most scenic drives in the US. Once you get to Estes Park you have a couple of options to continue east/south. A fun and pretty choice is to run east thru Big Thompson Canyon to Loveland. At Loveland you are then east of the mountains, and you can hammer down again and make time.

If you happen to be coming across the state further up north, the drive from Walden ( cool town ! ) to Fort Collins runs you over Cameron Pass then down thru the Poudre River Canyon, which is another of my favorites.

EDIT: PS, I don't think you will find that getting fuel will be a problem at all.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #10

[QUOTE

It's true that I-70 has some scenic parts, specifically thru Glenwood Canyon.

One of the most beautiful stretches of highway I have ever driven. But it only last 15 min or so........... Well worth the time to stop and hike, Hanging Lake. Which is just east of Glenwood the town.....

If you happen to be coming across the state further up north, the drive from Walden ( cool town ! ) to Fort Collins runs you over Cameron Pass then down thru the Poudre River Canyon, which is another of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

Not so sure you wanna do Poudre Canyon, we just had a large fire up the canyon. And though I haven't driven up to see the results I am sure it's been effected.

I-70 is a beautiful drive......... Lot's of gas stations. And basically an easy drive. The last decent into Denver can be a little hairy, if you allow your speed to increase with the grade. Pay attention to and follow the warning signs and you will be fine. Driving thru Denver can be a pain in the rear, but if you watch your timing and don't hit it durning rush hour you will be fine.......

Honestly, your first choice is a beautiful drive! But again, I think your cutting yourself short on the time. Otherwise I would say do 40 and Trail Ridge.

If you do end up taking 40, watch for Moose. That is where I saw my first Moose. Amazing beast!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #11

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
[QUOTE

Not so sure you wanna do Poudre Canyon, we just had a large fire up the canyon. And though I haven't driven up to see the results I am sure it's been effected.
oooh....hate to hear that. That is one of my favorite parts of the state. Beautiful up thru there.....
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #12

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I recently went from St Louis to just south of Butte, MT to pick up a trailer. I left here on a Friday morning, went through Cedar Falls, IA, Rapid City, SD and picked up my trailer at about 1pm that Sunday. Took off right away and headed home. Stopped in Pocatello, ID that night with a KILLER headache, nausea, VERY tired, didn't even try to eat anything.

Next day just made it to Grand Junction, CO before I had to stop. Still had nausea, big headache, very, very tired, was out of breath, just walking from my car to the bathroom at rest stops, couldn't eat. Woke up that night with difficulty breathing (felt like pneumonia) and considered going to the ER but decided I just wanted to get the heck home! (old dog at home had gotten sick & refused to eat)

By the next evening I made it to the CO/KS state line before I stopped for the night. Still tired, a little nausea but the headache was gone and breathing was easier. Made it back to St Louis by 8pm the next day, Wednesday. Was about ten days before the pneumonia feeling went away. Was most likely altitude sickness.

All THAT to say...don't try to hurry through. MAKE the time to TAKE time or you may get sick...your body just won't have time to acclimate to the altitude if you try to complete the trip quickly...and the trip won't be as enjoyable as it SHOULD be.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Trail Ridge road in RMNP gets up over 12,000 feet. While you could tow a trailer over it, it would not be a good idea. Having been there many times, I can't imagine driving it without stopping multiple times. Also finding parking space with a trailer could (and probably would) be difficult.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Stopped in Pocatello, ID that night with a KILLER headache, nausea, VERY tired, didn't even try to eat anything.

Next day just made it to Grand Junction, CO before I had to stop. Still had nausea, big headache, very, very tired, was out of breath, just walking from my car to the bathroom at rest stops, couldn't eat. Woke up that night with difficulty breathing (felt like pneumonia) and considered going to the ER but decided I just wanted to get the heck home! (old dog at home had gotten sick & refused to eat)

By the next evening I made it to the CO/KS state line before I stopped for the night. Still tired, a little nausea but the headache was gone and breathing was easier. Made it back to St Louis by 8pm the next day, Wednesday. Was about ten days before the pneumonia feeling went away. Was most likely altitude sickness.

Mon

Personally it doesn't sound like Altitude sickness.. Altitude sickness goes away once you leave altitude. But I am sure the long drive thru CO didn't help your issue. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy our beautiful state!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #15

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Personally it doesn't sound like Altitude sickness.. Altitude sickness goes away once you leave altitude. But I am sure the long drive thru CO didn't help your issue. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy our beautiful state!
And of course altitude effects different folks in different ways. I've gone to Colorado on average, once a year since I was a teenager. When I was young, we used to just drive ( or ride ) all night to get there, and then have fun for a few days and come back. Those days, I never suffered at all from the altitude. As I have got older though, I usually require about 12 hours or so to 'adjust' to it. I get out there, and will have just a low level headache for a while, then I'm fine once acclimated. Relaxing and not getting crazy/strenuous for the first day is a good plan !

My gosh....all this talk about Colorado is getting me amped up to head that way again soon ! What a gorgeous place. I'm planning on swinging thru there in late September on the way to "balloon fiesta" in NM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
And of course altitude effects different folks in different ways..

Absolutely! But once leaving MO heading west, everything is higher altitude. As you stated, adjustment is what is needed. But I would think that by Pocatella adjustment would have happened and then by getting back to normal altitude with a day or two altitude sickness wouldn't be an issue. 10 days to getting back to feeling better tell's me, perhaps it was something else. Tummy bug, flu, etc. I am sure altitude didn't help what was going on, but can't see altitude sickness lasting for 10 days after returning to familar altitude. Just my thoughts! Altitude sickness is very serious and something we watch close when friends and family come to visit. Again, sorry Mon didn't get to enjoy traveling thru CO.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #17

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Well, no doubt whatsoever that if I'd been able to take some time, I would certainly have enjoyed it more! True, I have a couple ongoing problems that probably only made things worse. Sometimes, it's difficult remembering you're not still 20!

I WILL go back out that way when I can take my time and have my dogs with me...I really did buy the Scamp for THEM, you know!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Sometimes, it's difficult remembering you're not still 20!

No kidding!

I WILL go back out that way when I can take my time and have my dogs with me...I really did buy the Scamp for THEM, you know!

Mon

Hope they enjoy it ! Do post pic's of your new trailer! We like pic's here............
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim, something you might want to keep in mind, although you may already know this but the speed limit in most of Montana is posted at 75 - even though it is *very unlikely* that you are anyone else whether towing or not towing is going to be driving many of the roads (other than the main freeway) at that speed. I seem to recall that Colorado had some a high as 75 as well but not as many as Montana - Montana seems to be saving money by only having to produce one sign and saying drive at your own risk :-)))

Also some of the other states you will be towing home through have trailer speed limits - in Washington State its the posted truck speed - which is normally about 10 less than cars. If you get into California its 55 max...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote