EASTERN CANADA - Any Must Stay Places? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
We will be travelling to eastern Canada this summer with our new 77 Boler. This will probably be the first "major" trip we'll be going on with it. We're heading from Southwestern Ontario through to PEI, Nova Scotia and maybe Newfoundland.

Any suggestions for places to stop?
Liz F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 1976
A must in 2008 is Québec city. For his 400 th birtday, a lot of activities!
http://monquebec2008.sympatico.msn.ca/MonQ...008/?lang=en-ca

for camping I would go to Jacques Cartier Prov. Park
http://www.sepaq.com/pq/jac/en/

or see
http://www.campingquebec.com/cdcq/en/region_04.shtml

If you make a stop in Montréal, you will want to stay in OKA Prov. Park (not KOA!!!)
http://www.sepaq.com/pq/oka/en/
40 min to downtown. Deux-Montagnes transit train is not too far.

Stop at Le Bic on the way to Maritimes.
http://www.sepaq.com/pq/bic/en/
Bienvenue!
Marc Barrière is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Bigfoot
Don't miss New Brunswick. So many people consider it as a "drive through" province but we found it very enjoyable. New River Beach, Fundy National, Boutouche, and Sugerloaf gave us memorys. We will return.
Donna & Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
We will be travelling to eastern Canada this summer with our new 77 Boler. This will probably be the first "major" trip we'll be going on with it. We're heading from Southwestern Ontario through to PEI, Nova Scotia and maybe Newfoundland.

[b]Any suggestions for places to stop?
Everywhere!! Of course, "Eastern Canada" is a fairly vast area, much like "western" or "central" Canada, and you will see amazing things in all provinces. Many of us could answer this question better if you were a bit more specific about the types of places you enjoy visiting, or perhaps the duration of your trip, as there are so many different ways to travel. One good starting point might be to get tourist info booklets from the various provinces and see what interests you. Or you could pay a visit to your local CAA to get all of them in one place.

For instance, if you drive around Gaspé, I recommend camping at the Forillon National Park. And if you drive all the way up north of Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and you like a nice peaceful quiet spot by the sea, I highly recommend that you stay a couple nights at the Jumping Mouse camping. But there are thousands of nice peaceful quiet places in eastern Canada. So what's your style?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Here's a couple of suggestions from one of the other fiberglass forums

East Coast Possibles

Just as you enter New Brunswick coming south from Rivier De Loup there is a great campground at Edmundston, which is right beside the Botanical Gardens and also a Steam or Locomotive musem both of which are less than a 3 minute walk.

In the other thread there is a comment on the Ontario Bolerama, Here is a link for information on the 2008 Ontario Bolerama "Fiberglass Fever"

There is so much to see and do..........It's a blast and the people are great!!!!!!
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
We put 10,000 km on the car on a Bed and Breakfast tour of the Maritimes this past fall - our favourite spots were Annapolis Royal and Lunenburg - both in Nova Scotia. One place I wish we'd had more time to explore was the Bras D'Or Lakes region of Cape Breton - that and PEI will be our next destinations in the trailer.
Phil H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
We live in Halifax but spend much of the summer in PEI
Here are some of my suggestions
In NS....consider Risser's Prov. park near Bridgewater. If you are lucky you may get one of the sites almost on the sand beach.
Kedji...a National park is great but can be a little buggy at times. Home to dwindling flying squirrels.
Graves Island Prov park is very near Chester (the Martha's Vinyard of Canada) and close to the ferry running to little and Big Tanacook Islands ( a ferry that serves a small population but is also a great day trip and begs for a picnic and or bikes to get around the islands)
Chester is about an hour outside of Halifax.
In PEI my fav camping is at the north west tip at the Jacques Cartier Prov park. Again, there are sites on the beach. One Ont couple that I met go there for 2 weks every fall when there is virtually no one there. You can walk that beach maybe for 6 miles or more past the campground and not see a soul.
Cabot Prov park is very underused and the water is warm for swimming

I can hardly wait for summer!!!
Donna
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler
Thanks you so much for all your suggestions! It's probably going to take me longer to plan the trip than it will to actually go on the trip. Good thing we're starting to plan it now. Not to mention the cleaning and refurbishing we need to do before we head out.

We have been out east before about ten years ago and our favourite places were Macleods, just before the Cabot Trail and Blomidon, on the Fundy Coast. We also stopped and the most unassuming little hut for dinner called Pearl's... the best lobster rolls ever. I sure hope she's still there.

I can't wait!
Liz F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #9

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry

The Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park is the crown jewel of the Canadian Park Service and the largest historical reconstruction in Canada. In my humble opinion no visit to Nova Scotia is complete without a stop at this truly magnificent step bact into 18th century colonial life. You got to see it to believe it!

Attached Thumbnails
fortress3a.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You will have a wonderful trip. One book that we found useful when we travel is the Moon Book. While we were back east we went to and saw things that many people we talked to missed. We have purchased these travel books when we have gone to other areas as well and never been disappointed.

They are well worth the $15 investment.
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote