Eeeeeeeee Mathew go home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Eeeeeeeee Mathew go home

As a result of our Having been in a cat 2 hurricane when we lived in Belize, I am not happy about Matthew heading towards GA and SC. It was like being in a 4-hour earthquake and all the trees were stripped from our hill by our house. Took 4 days before the driveway could be cleared and we could drive down.

We had planned on heading to Huntington Beach State Park. S.C. to then south to Jekyll Island, Ga.

Perhaps we will need to re-route our November first stops from Mich to Feb 2017 further west. What I have read indicates that if it really hits hard it may be 3 weeks or more before any services are restored.

We are still waiting on our application to the Gov. volunteer site for either campground hosts or interpretive/educational ecologist slots at Cave Creek Canyon in AZ in a National Forest campground.

We are now also Escapees members so not more issues with mail forwarding and likely many places to stop and stay if need be.

Hope those campers at these places will be safe.

Cheers,

Bruce
Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Mike's weather page:

Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!

Lots of really good weather maps. Scroll down and check out the storm surge hazard map.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My heart and prayers go to everyone in Matthew's path. I cannot fathom where millions of people who are evacuating will go.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Florida Power is not doing so good after Mathew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
As a result of our Having been in a cat 2 hurricane when we lived in Belize, I am not happy about Matthew heading towards GA and SC. It was like being in a 4-hour earthquake and all the trees were stripped from our hill by our house. Took 4 days before the driveway could be cleared and we could drive down.

We had planned on heading to Huntington Beach State Park. S.C. to then south to Jekyll Island, Ga.

Perhaps we will need to re-route our November first stops from Mich to Feb 2017 further west. What I have read indicates that if it really hits hard it may be 3 weeks or more before any services are restored.

We are still waiting on our application to the Gov. volunteer site for either campground hosts or interpretive/educational ecologist slots at Cave Creek Canyon in AZ in a National Forest campground.

We are now also Escapees members so not more issues with mail forwarding and likely many places to stop and stay if need be.

Hope those campers at these places will be safe.

Cheers,

Bruce
:We just read that over 400 Million have no power so I guess that is going to take some time before they get it back I just hope the have some good gas and Diesel Back up power to plug the AC's, & Freezers into to stay cool when to hot and keep food from going bad as that can be pretty expensive. Also pray for those going through that Terrible Storm.
The only thing we have to worry about on the north west coast is Earthquakes and mud slides. Mud slides are caused by poor logging practices.
We never get Tornado's or Hurricanes, big problem is Tidal Waves but we here in Vancouver area do not have to worry to much about them as were protected by Vancouver Island.
Stude

Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:We just read that over 400 Million have no power so I guess that is going to take some time before they get it back . . .
Egad! All of North America is out?

Try 400 thousand.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Poor logging practices cause mud slides? Geee, I thought it was geological and weather factors. Tell that to Mt. Rainier which is not logged, or any other slope in the wilderness that slides. What about Southern California where there is no logging, yet they have mud slides. The Oso slide was on unstable ground and no geologist that I know of will say it was logging caused.

Having made a living in forestry and most of it overseeing logging contracts, I take issue with any blanket statement like that. The industry is changing, in fact changed three decades ago with tougher forest practice rules.

Now, back to the hurricane...I just wanted to set things straighter....
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When the governor gives a press conference, why does he/she always have to have thirty people standing behind him/her? Couldn't they be doing something useful?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
When the governor gives a press conference, why does he/she always have to have thirty people standing behind him/her? Couldn't they be doing something useful?
Hey ! they're from the government and they are here to help you!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

British Columbia
Just goes to show what the News does when it comes from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Egad! All of North America is out?

Try 400 thousand.

/Mr Lynn
:Florida to British Columbia and now it is down to 100Million and you say 400,000 another bigger drop. Just the same it takes time and money to get the power back up and running for everyone.
We only had a little windstorm of about 100KM a Hour wind and 45,000 lost power in a very small area on Vancouver Island, Saturna Is., Sunshine Coast but the problem here is everyone likes to have trees all around the Power lines.
Stude
Old 10-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

British Columbia
Poor logging practices, come to BC sometime and see the aftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Poor logging practices cause mud slides? Geee, I thought it was geological and weather factors. Tell that to Mt. Rainier which is not logged, or any other slope in the wilderness that slides. What about Southern California where there is no logging, yet they have mud slides. The Oso slide was on unstable ground and no geologist that I know of will say it was logging caused.

Having made a living in forestry and most of it overseeing logging contracts, I take issue with any blanket statement like that. The industry is changing, in fact changed three decades ago with tougher forest practice rules.

Now, back to the hurricane...I just wanted to set things straighter....
: of a logging practice once the Contract company has finished and left a lot of good lumber on the ground? Scary in my words, poor cleanup, nothing holding the slope in place so when rain hits it then what? Look at Haiti there biggest problem is Deforestation nothing to hold the land back from mud slides. Same all over the world, Heck California only has light bush and grass which are both lacking water and burn very easily, plus when it starts to burn it burns fast, same thing in BC way to many trees and shrubs left to close to homes. I have a problem with a Neighbour who has 8-9 150' Firs in his back yard on a very small city lot when big winds blow scares the hell out of us, our home would be crushed, I offered to take the two closest trees down and he will not budge.
I mean they are nice trees and give us great shade in the summer months but!
Stude
Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

Name: Nicole
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Quote:
The only thing we have to worry about on the north west coast is Earthquakes and mud slides. Mud slides are caused by poor logging practices.
We never get Tornado's or Hurricanes, big problem is Tidal Waves but we here in Vancouver area do not have to worry to much about them as were protected by Vancouver Island.

Stude
And volcanoes. Don't forget volcanoes.
Enesvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesvy View Post
Do not forget about wild fires

Stude we actually do get Hurricane force winds here on the West Coast of BC occasionally. Most recent was the big storm of Dec 2006 when a we lost over 3000 trees in just Stanley Park and thousands more trees seriously damaged resulting in them having to be taken down after the fact. Most of the north shore of Vancouver went without power for several days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #13

British Columbia
Volcanoes, most of them are your problem not ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesvy View Post
: when Mt. St. Helen's went it blew north east or from the west to the NE which is Eastern BC, Alberta, and into the sky they say if Mt. Baker goes it will do the same.
But yes they are all around us, But I have no fear as I have one foot on the banana peel and the other is hanging over the edge of the hole. Plus id SO and So is good with his noodle I will easily fall in.
Stude
Old 10-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #14

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Flash floods after forest fires are just low viscosity mud slides.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
: I have a problem with a Neighbour who has 8-9 150' Firs in his back yard on a very small city lot when big winds blow scares the hell out of us, our home would be crushed, I offered to take the two closest trees down and he will not budge.
I mean they are nice trees and give us great shade in the summer months but!
Stude
If you lived in North Vancouver it would not matter if the neighbour actually did not like the trees either. It would be illegal for him to remove them from his property without first having the district arborist or one on their approved arborists lists confirm they are damaged and/or a danger. More often than not that does not happen. Best compromise the property owner might get from the District is permission to have them spiralled pruned.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Well it certainly is making big mess of things over a large area. Absolutely not a good week for camping in that area but it likely sent a lot of people from there off on in their RVs on trips to elsewhere. It is nice to have a "bug out" option other than motels.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Northeastern NC checking in here. Lots of flooding and some power outages. My sister in law's parents had to be evacuated from their retirement condo in Tarboro earlier today. Fortunately, my brother has room for them. My mother's caregiver and her kiids will be staying in a shelter for at least the next several days as the river won't crest until Tuesday. Not as bad as the flooding from Floyd but still pretty rough for many.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #18

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Here in the proud little city of Charlottesville we had a little rain on Saturday (less than an inch) and a little wind on Sunday (highest recorded wind was 23 gusting to 34). We also had a 12 hour power outage on Saturday and a 20 hour power outage on Sunday. As far as I can tell, the Sunday outage length was entirely due to stripping our area for line crews to work in other areas. You're welcome.

We'll have worse this winter. The power utility didn't do any line maintenance in our (heavily wooded) area this summer and it shows. They're doing a great job of maximizing shareholder value. Customer value...not so much. I burnt about 5 gallons of generator fuel keeping the fridges and freezers cold and the lights on.

We're looking at taking our RV solar experience to the house and putting in several hundred watts of PV, a battery bank, and a big inverter...
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote