Eeeeeeeee Mathew go home - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
BatDude's Avatar
 
Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Posts: 143
Eeeeeeeee Mathew go home

As a result of our Having been in a cat 2 hurricane when we lived in Belize, I am not happy about Matthew heading towards GA and SC. It was like being in a 4-hour earthquake and all the trees were stripped from our hill by our house. Took 4 days before the driveway could be cleared and we could drive down.





We had planned on heading to Huntington Beach State Park. S.C. to then south to Jekyll Island, Ga.

Perhaps we will need to re-route our November first stops from Mich to Feb 2017 further west. What I have read indicates that if it really hits hard it may be 3 weeks or more before any services are restored.

We are still waiting on our application to the Gov. volunteer site for either campground hosts or interpretive/educational ecologist slots at Cave Creek Canyon in AZ in a National Forest campground.

We are now also Escapees members so not more issues with mail forwarding and likely many places to stop and stay if need be.

Hope those campers at these places will be safe.

Cheers,

Bruce
__________________

__________________
Conservation biologist specializing in bats.
Trailer = 16' Scamp
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bruce H's Avatar
 
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Posts: 353
Mike's weather page:

Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!

Lots of really good weather maps. Scroll down and check out the storm surge hazard map.
__________________

__________________
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,150
Registry
My heart and prayers go to everyone in Matthew's path. I cannot fathom where millions of people who are evacuating will go.
__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 706
Florida Power is not doing so good after Mathew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
As a result of our Having been in a cat 2 hurricane when we lived in Belize, I am not happy about Matthew heading towards GA and SC. It was like being in a 4-hour earthquake and all the trees were stripped from our hill by our house. Took 4 days before the driveway could be cleared and we could drive down.





We had planned on heading to Huntington Beach State Park. S.C. to then south to Jekyll Island, Ga.

Perhaps we will need to re-route our November first stops from Mich to Feb 2017 further west. What I have read indicates that if it really hits hard it may be 3 weeks or more before any services are restored.

We are still waiting on our application to the Gov. volunteer site for either campground hosts or interpretive/educational ecologist slots at Cave Creek Canyon in AZ in a National Forest campground.

We are now also Escapees members so not more issues with mail forwarding and likely many places to stop and stay if need be.

Hope those campers at these places will be safe.

Cheers,

Bruce
:We just read that over 400 Million have no power so I guess that is going to take some time before they get it back I just hope the have some good gas and Diesel Back up power to plug the AC's, & Freezers into to stay cool when to hot and keep food from going bad as that can be pretty expensive. Also pray for those going through that Terrible Storm.
The only thing we have to worry about on the north west coast is Earthquakes and mud slides. Mud slides are caused by poor logging practices.
We never get Tornado's or Hurricanes, big problem is Tidal Waves but we here in Vancouver area do not have to worry to much about them as were protected by Vancouver Island.
Stude

Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:We just read that over 400 Million have no power so I guess that is going to take some time before they get it back . . .
Egad! All of North America is out?

Try 400 thousand.


/Mr Lynn
__________________

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 83
Poor logging practices cause mud slides? Geee, I thought it was geological and weather factors. Tell that to Mt. Rainier which is not logged, or any other slope in the wilderness that slides. What about Southern California where there is no logging, yet they have mud slides. The Oso slide was on unstable ground and no geologist that I know of will say it was logging caused.

Having made a living in forestry and most of it overseeing logging contracts, I take issue with any blanket statement like that. The industry is changing, in fact changed three decades ago with tougher forest practice rules.

Now, back to the hurricane...I just wanted to set things straighter....
__________________
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 3,488
When the governor gives a press conference, why does he/she always have to have thirty people standing behind him/her? Couldn't they be doing something useful?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 5,112
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
When the governor gives a press conference, why does he/she always have to have thirty people standing behind him/her? Couldn't they be doing something useful?
Hey ! they're from the government and they are here to help you!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 706
Just goes to show what the News does when it comes from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Egad! All of North America is out?

Try 400 thousand.


/Mr Lynn
:Florida to British Columbia and now it is down to 100Million and you say 400,000 another bigger drop. Just the same it takes time and money to get the power back up and running for everyone.
We only had a little windstorm of about 100KM a Hour wind and 45,000 lost power in a very small area on Vancouver Island, Saturna Is., Sunshine Coast but the problem here is everyone likes to have trees all around the Power lines.
Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 706
Poor logging practices, come to BC sometime and see the aftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Poor logging practices cause mud slides? Geee, I thought it was geological and weather factors. Tell that to Mt. Rainier which is not logged, or any other slope in the wilderness that slides. What about Southern California where there is no logging, yet they have mud slides. The Oso slide was on unstable ground and no geologist that I know of will say it was logging caused.

Having made a living in forestry and most of it overseeing logging contracts, I take issue with any blanket statement like that. The industry is changing, in fact changed three decades ago with tougher forest practice rules.

Now, back to the hurricane...I just wanted to set things straighter....
: of a logging practice once the Contract company has finished and left a lot of good lumber on the ground? Scary in my words, poor cleanup, nothing holding the slope in place so when rain hits it then what? Look at Haiti there biggest problem is Deforestation nothing to hold the land back from mud slides. Same all over the world, Heck California only has light bush and grass which are both lacking water and burn very easily, plus when it starts to burn it burns fast, same thing in BC way to many trees and shrubs left to close to homes. I have a problem with a Neighbour who has 8-9 150' Firs in his back yard on a very small city lot when big winds blow scares the hell out of us, our home would be crushed, I offered to take the two closest trees down and he will not budge.
I mean they are nice trees and give us great shade in the summer months but!
Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Nicole
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
The only thing we have to worry about on the north west coast is Earthquakes and mud slides. Mud slides are caused by poor logging practices.
We never get Tornado's or Hurricanes, big problem is Tidal Waves but we here in Vancouver area do not have to worry to much about them as were protected by Vancouver Island.

Stude
And volcanoes. Don't forget volcanoes.
__________________
Enesvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,723
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
The only thing we have to worry about on the north west coast is Earthquakes and mud slides. Mud slides are caused by poor logging practices.
We never get Tornado's or Hurricanes, big problem is Tidal Waves but we here in Vancouver area do not have to worry to much about them as were protected by Vancouver Island.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesvy View Post
And volcanoes. Don't forget volcanoes.
Do not forget about wild fires

Stude we actually do get Hurricane force winds here on the West Coast of BC occasionally. Most recent was the big storm of Dec 2006 when a we lost over 3000 trees in just Stanley Park and thousands more trees seriously damaged resulting in them having to be taken down after the fact. Most of the north shore of Vancouver went without power for several days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 706
Volcanoes, most of them are your problem not ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesvy View Post
And volcanoes. Don't forget volcanoes.
: when Mt. St. Helen's went it blew north east or from the west to the NE which is Eastern BC, Alberta, and into the sky they say if Mt. Baker goes it will do the same.
But yes they are all around us, But I have no fear as I have one foot on the banana peel and the other is hanging over the edge of the hole. Plus id SO and So is good with his noodle I will easily fall in.
Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
minke's Avatar
 
Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Posts: 130
Flash floods after forest fires are just low viscosity mud slides.
__________________

__________________
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
home page Larry B General Chat 1 11-18-2005 10:54 AM
Bak at the home ranch! Legacy Posts General Chat 4 04-25-2003 12:19 AM
Since we're all campin' at home tonight... Legacy Posts Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 7 11-16-2002 09:34 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.