Escaping to Newfoundland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Escaping to Newfoundland

Tomorrow we will board the ferry in North Sydney, NS bound for 6-weeks in Newfoundland. We have ferry reservations for tomorrow and for our return on September 24. Otherwise, we plan to wing it.

We have gotten quite a bit of advice from Norm & Ginny, frequent forum contributors, and another couple as to places and things to see and do. We've been told NL is the friendliest and safest place in North America.

David & Rosemary
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Absolutely true David. When you get off the ferry the Visitors center is right there. Grand Codroy RV is not far and a marvelous RV park.

Safe Travels,

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #3

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Escape To NF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Tomorrow we will board the ferry in North Sydney, NS bound for 6-weeks in Newfoundland. We have ferry reservations for tomorrow and for our return on September 24. Otherwise, we plan to wing it.

We have gotten quite a bit of advice from Norm & Ginny, frequent forum contributors, and another couple as to places and things to see and do. We've been told NL is the friendliest and safest place in North America.

David & Rosemary
I hope that you know the correct way to pronounce it; they are picky out there. What will you do -go north to Happy Valley? east to the Avalon Peninsula? I have always wanted to see the end of the Appalachians. Every plant is almost miniature; I have seen mountain Laurel blooming there in June and the blossoms are the size of a baby pea. My grand daughters live in St John's and they are so blessed to have their other(mother's) grandparents there. Make Sure you carry extra gasoline- in some places the petrol stations are few and far between. The folks there are very nice and that's mostly because (like we Southerners) they are descended straight from the Irish, Scots/English and Welsh that fished there and settled eventually. Have a wonderful time. Cheers, Carol
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

Florida
David,

i've only found that Labrador requires planning for gas purchases and that's not the case in coastal Labrador.

There are 3 UB World Heritage sites on western NL, Gros Morne, L'Ansa aux Meadows and Red Bay, Labrador. All worth the trip.

You can take your trailer on a 45 minute ferry ride to Labrador and take a short ride to Red Bay. We camped at the gas station overlooking Red Bay. Beaytiful and nice people. Be sure to walk the whale trail and climb the stairs to the top of the hill. The museum is great and the restaurant is good.

One jealous guy in NH selling his house.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

Name: Neal
Trailer: Wanting a fgrv
British Columbia
Visit Quidi Vidi

Have fun, you are about to visit one of the most spectacular places on the continent. We have visited there several times.

In St Johns, do the regular Signal Hill, the Harbor, etc., but be sure to get to Quidi Vidi. Take you camera and have fun. Several of the homes there are only accessed via the water. It's really neat.

If you get Near Twillingate stop for a day or two. This Newfie fishing village is worth the visit. If you know the TV show "Cold Water Cowboys" you may recognize some boats because it is filmed from there. Go North of town through Mutfords Cove and Crow Head to the lighthouse. It has some really awesome history and the views are fabulous.

And don't forget to have a meal of Cod Tongues. It sounds gross but is actually pretty good.
rv_neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We've also camped (3 weeks) across New'Fund'land previously and found it to be exceedingly friendly - everywhere! You might want to search out their 'blueberry' wine, which seems to be impossible to purchase, anywhere off 'The Rock'. Keep an eye out for Moose crossing the 'Tranny-Canady', especially at night. Take your time - and definitely MEET the locals. We preferred doing a 'round trip', by scheduling the much longer 12 hour ferry from Argentia back to North Sydney on our return route. We now anxiously await joining Norm & Ginny in 2016 for a repeat NL Camping Caravan.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
And remember that the proper term is "Newfoundlanders". The term "Newfie" is considered by many to be derogatory and in poor taste.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:

David & Rosemary

Have a last, I can't wait to hear all about it! Safe journeys!
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Happy, safe travels! I hope to see some photos of the trip. It's one I've wanted to take for many years.

Lucky you! Have a great time!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Been to St John's side but not Gros Morne. Would love to take a trailer there some day - it's beautiful according to many!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #11

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
Quote:

David & Rosemary
I loved newfoundland when I spent 5 weeks there a few years ago. I was doing bed and breakfast then and met some amazing people. I would really like to go back again. Maybe with Norm and Ginny...if I can get a FC by next summer and sell my Minnie winnebago. Barb
Barb in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #12

Florida
David and Rosemary,

A well titled thread. Definitely Newfoundland is an escape, an escape in a sense to another time, a simpler time.

It's funny, one person who went to NL recently said I would spoil Trails, Tales and Tunes by bringing a Caravan to it. Similarly in writing about the Machias Blueberry Festival I wondered if it was like giving up your secret place... or is it simply sharing the good life, sharing the wonder with like souls.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16