Fake wood? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Fake wood?

Serious question- does anyone use fake logs like Presto Logs or those 4 hr kind? With the voluntary restrictions on moving wood from one area to another, it occurred to me that having a few fake logs on hand wouldn't be a bad idea.

I also ran across this http://www.reposenow.com/ which is a stainless steel log you can fill with pellets.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I used some white plastic trim to make a frame for the back seat of my boat with white plastic plywood. Does that count?

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's not always so voluntary... Whn we came back home into CA from OR on the coast route two summers ago they asked us to drop all firewood at the Ag inspection station. And inspected to be sure we did.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Where I work, there are lots of places that give away their dunnage, (the wood used to pack large stuff on a truck). I don't think it qualifies as fire wood. I am considering taking some with me on my next camping trip. Since it is mostly 4x4 lumber, it packs well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's not always so voluntary... Whn we came back home into CA from OR on the coast route two summers ago they asked us to drop all firewood at the Ag inspection station. And inspected to be sure we did.....
Interesting. It's voluntary within the state and it makes sense (though probably isn't sufficient to just make it voluntary.)

But back to the fake wood for firewood question- does anyone use it?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I don't use it, but I other then the storage space, I don't see any reason why not. Maybe i will bring a few logs of it. That would make starting the fire easier.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Registry
I'm thinking about the same thing- would save stopping for firewood, or hunting it up at the campground. I wouldn't want to carry a lot but a few logs might be nice.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Those presto logs have an additive in them that assists in the burning. It may be paraffin. They really don't burn with a very hot flame and they soot up a chimney faster than wood when burned indoors. So...I'd be wary of the youngsters roasting marsh-mellows or hot-dogs over them.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Living near the border, it's a nuisance not to be able to take firewood with me. I hate buying firewood at a campground. One place was selling cedar which burned up at the speed of light. Expensive fire.

I never thought about Presto logs as an an alternative but they'd be handy to have as a back-up substitute. Not sure how the flame would compare to "real" wood.

I did something that I said I'd never do, I bought a propane fire pit
It actually works quite well, but my first choice is still "real wood"
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Given the difficulties as noted above transporting firewood from one location to another, and also the fact that firewood is often being sold at campgrounds at pretty high prices, we have moved towards bringing a propane fire pit with us when we go out. We will still use wood when it is convenient, but the fire pit we purchased provides a great alternative. Here it is:

It is an Outland Firebowl as shown on this site Outland Firebowl

We simply attach the propane hose to the propane quick disconnect that came with our Escape, and "instant campfire". Technology is great!
regards

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You might check out your local lumber yard. You might be able buy some regular framing lumber that isn't fit to build with, (i.e. splits, wows, bastard end cuts, etc.,) that they have around for cheap. They would rather make a couple of bucks on it as opposed to making their dumpsters more full of unsellable wood. Since it is processed and kiln dried it doesn't harbor bugs. Shouldn't be a problem with Ag inspections anymore than a truck delivering lumber to a project somewhere. Just don't get the pressure treated stuff which is illegal to burn just about everywhere, and it released toxic chemicals when burned. The added advantage to dimensional lumber is it stacks well too.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I've used duraflame in a campfire before, as long as you don't cook or roast marshmallows over the fire, it's OK. It's basically a log made out of sawdust and wax, so you can guess what happened when I started roasting marshmallows over the fire. (they turn black from soot)
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We burned presto logs at home for years. They are "real" wood in the form of highly compressed saw dust and other wood waste. We got them at a discount since the original ones from the 60's were made at Weyerhauser in Everett where my dad worked. As a youngster, I got to see the machine.

I agree with the concern about chemicals for dogs or marshmellows but think they are fine for cooking in pots.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Bring lots of Brillo pads if you do...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bobbi, this doesn't answer your question, but I read this on a different forum and it sounds like a good idea to me.

Circular saw and a log (Presto, Duraflame, etc.), cut almost all the way through about 2" apart. Break off the chunks you need (when you need) and you have a fire starter. No need to haul around paper and kindling.

Cool beans, I'm gonna try it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We cut them into "biscuts" for the trash burner with a hatchet. Have to be careful though. I still have the scar on my knee.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote