Favorite West Coast Campgrounds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2002, 12:48 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
:wiggly Christine,

Am I getting close? All of these are 4 to 5 hours from you. Nice weekend trips. I think Mike & Michael will love the activities. What do you think?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:48 AM   #22

BC

Rick, we love BC too, haven't been their for a few years but it is on our list to go back now that we have our Casita.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:51 AM   #23

JAY

you haven't been here for a few years? Are you aware your dollar is worth about 1.60 here? Come up and enjoy the results of that - in April to October! *weather's fine* :o

Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 AM   #24

Yeah baby!

Thanks bunches! Now I just have to be patient. Drats, work. Drats, chores. Have you been to the Alpine area?

And Mr. Herb, thanks for making me jealous. You just had to add the clam chodda bit. Tsk, Tsk. Have a great time and take pic's to post for me, Okay?

Old 10-30-2002, 12:59 AM   #25

Alpine

I avoid the snow in the mountains. My shoes just don't work in the snow.

I love to go to Lake Edison. Not many people go that far and it is beautiful. I also like Grants Grove in the Redwoods.

Further north, is one of the best kept secrets of California - Big Lake just past Burney Falls. Lori caught a limit of Rainbow trout in an hour in that area.

Old 10-30-2002, 01:20 AM   #26

camping trips

Rick, we just may come up next fall, but won't know until this summer.

Christine, I will take some pictures and post them, and I won't eat all
the chowder I will save some for you, have good evening.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Orginally posted by Michael Sanders

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by Christine Gnesda
(Besides, big Mike wants your cool generator set-up or maybe solar...)
Morgan has Solar and camps with no hook ups. It totally intrigues me.

:u I can't figure out how to make the numbers work with my propensity to use energy gobbling appliances like a satellite color TV, electric heater, air conditioner, coffee maker and microwave.[/quote]

With all that consumption, you don't want solar. You'd have to cover you Casita with collectors and spread some out on the ground.

There's a picture, the [b]Amorphous Silicon Casita. :laugh

Old 10-30-2002, 10:27 AM   #28

Favorites & Clam Chowder

Hi Christine, :wave

One of my very favorites is Elk Prairie CG in Prairie Creek Redwoods St Pk in northern CA. This one has everything. There are many sites in the redwoods, some next to a creek and a few sites in the overflow area which is very open around a grassy area. The overflow area has some sites with hookups and most of them are very exposed, BUT site #70 is the exception. It is very private, being surrounded by trees and shrubs and still gets sun and best of all, the Roosvelt Elk may wander in to graze on the grassy area. Last time there we saw 20+, males, females & young come over a little rise in the fog to graze. Beautiful! :hap2

The beach is a short drive away, down a pretty little road and you may see elk at the beach also. At the end of the beach road there is a beautiful hike into Fern Canyon (?) that is very special. There are nice bike trails and best of all the Giant Redwoods. Unlike Charles, I love trees :wub (can't you tell?).

Oh yes, about the chowder. When we are in Oregon we always stop at Mo's for excellant clam chowder and oyster sandwiches. There are half a dozen Mo's to be found along the OR coast.

Old 10-30-2002, 02:35 PM   #29

Hey, I like everywhere on the big list because the Sardine System for BulgeMobiles Commercial RV Parks were generally not on the list. I prefer rustic public campsites with no hookups in general.

I like the West Coast of Vancouver Island, Wash, and Florida. I really like paying eight EhBucks for a BC CG (even less if you go early in summer before the camp hosts are in place to collect your eight Loonies or four Twoonies); it's too bad they won't accept all the Canadian currencies, just the Loon-based one. Favs on VI are Little Qualicum Falls PP and Kitty Coleman Beach PP.

Morgan has Solar and camps with no hook ups. It totally intrigues me.

I can't figure out how to make the numbers work with my propensity to use energy gobbling appliances like a satellite color TV, electric heater, air conditioner, coffee maker and microwave.

Here're Pete's solutions:

Read more books (thrift shops and library book sales) and watch rental DVDs on laptop (hmm, visualization of Micheal and Hobbs in front of blasting TV bouncing off table, followed by visualization of CG neighbors wearing earmuffs)

Use propane heater; invest in modern warm underwear

Use overhead shade in mild conditions; use the black round things for extreme conditions Consider making a hand-pump misting system for hot, dry climes

Get a stove-top percolator or espresso pot or blue/white enamel Cowboy Coffee pot

Learn how to cook and get an aux stove for picnic table or tailgate

Pete and RatLadies

Old 10-30-2002, 03:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

(hmm, visualization of Micheal and Hobbs in front of blasting TV bouncing off table, followed by visualization of CG neighbors wearing earmuffs)
:sad Pete, you're making me feel defensive. My Honda generator is very quiet and is inside an insulated box that quiets it even more.

:reye2 I practice low impact camping. My neighbors don't even know I there (unless Lori is cooking sour dough cinnamon rolls, and then the aroma gives us away). My dog doesn't even bark. Well it took me a year to teach him to bark, but he would prefer not to.

Old 10-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #31

Oysters!

I have had enough reading about the oysters and chowder in Newport I remember them well at Mo's. I have decided we are going out for Oysters for dinner!NOW!
If you make it this far West to Vancouver Island don't forget Fanny Bay for Oysters they are to die for!!!:wub
Pippa

Old 10-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #32

I could barely hear webguy's generator...

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

prefer rustic public campsites with no hookups in general.

Here're Pete's solutions:

Read more books ...
Thanks Pete for the great suggestions. I envy your vagabond spirit. You must have one adventure story after another! Too cool!

Now, try telling an almost 2 y/o that it is time to relax and read. Ha-Ha, that would last about 5 minutes. Most of our days camping are spent on getting him tuckered out, so for US to be able to relax and read (oh what a luxury!) we need just about an hour or so of Elmo time. The emphasis is on we, not the baby, he is perfectly happy without, if we play with him or read TO HIM. But we need a break, too. So, I ungraciously submit to the video. (Something I swore I would never, ever do!)

I'm not sure if a generator or solar or whatever is right for us because we are so new to camping. I just know that the three of us love it so far and that is why we want to know where all the great places to visit are! And you all have such a great knowledge base of where to take our cute little trailer! All these suggestions are going to be printed out and laminated. Thanks so much.

Any more fav's?:E :E

Old 10-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Orginally posted by pippa 26
If you make it this far West to Vancouver Island don't forget Fanny Bay for Oysters they are to die for!!!:wub
Pippa
Pippa,

Lori and I ate at a little restaurant on Vancouver Island called “Just Friends”.

:) Have you been there? The food is wonderful.

Old 10-31-2002, 01:15 PM   #34

Food

Two of my favorite haunts are the FBI (Fanny Bay Inn) at Fanny Bay, and the Shady Rest at Qualicum Beach. ;)

Old 10-31-2002, 02:23 PM   #35

Just Friends!

Michael, I have not been to "just friends" to my knowledge where is it? We have eaten at Ricks fav. Fanny Bay Inn, had Oysterburgers there.I believe that is owned by a Harley Bike enthusiasts?or club.I must confess we do not eat out much I usually bread the Oysters and cook them with bacon and tomatoes Mmmmmmm! not to often though or the cholesterol would kill us prematurely:sad

Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 PM   #36

Just Friends

:wave Pippa,

This is a little restaurant that serves one thing or maybe two a night. It is a little hole in the wall with no signs out front. A couple of ladies we met on the trian goin up the island (they had the bigest sparkley diamonds on the fingers I have ever seen) told us about Just Friends. When we called to try and get a reservation, they said they were sold out. Lori I told the owner about the recommendation of these two ladies, he knew right off who they were, and worked us in. Lori is good at sweet talk'n.

It was pricey but worth it. I'll ask Lori if she can remember anything else about it.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:32 PM   #37

Ooops

:red Lori corrected me. The restaurant’s name is “Among Friends” (not Just Friends) sorry. The restaurant is in Victoria.

Pippa, Does that help?

Old 10-31-2002, 11:41 PM   #38

Pippa

Yes the FBI is owned by HOG enthusiasts. But it has been a great place for me to go for since 1981 (when I was of legal age!)

If and when you get to the Island......go to the FBI and check out the Pig Roasts in the summer......great times. :reye2

Old 11-04-2002, 04:05 PM   #39

Pig Roasts Among Friends

Michael and Rick,
I am interested in the Victoria Restaurant amazing how you discovered it .Doubt we will find a coupon in the Entertainment Book eh Michael?

Hog Roast Rick ? is it a regular thing or once per summer? I can smell the crackling now Mmmmmm Oops ! here we go again.Oysters and pork. We are having a leg of pork(with apple sauce) for christmas dinner, now I will get oysters too. We have family from the U.K. coming . I must not eat crackling before dinner. I must not eat crackling before dinner. I must not............:sick

Old 11-04-2002, 05:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Orginally posted by pippa 26
Michael and Rick,
I am interested in the Victoria Restaurant amazing how you discovered it .Doubt we will find a coupon in the Entertainment Book eh Michael?
I tend to make friends with locals when I'm traveling. I always like to find out where the locals eat. In talking to these ladies on the train, they gave me the tip. It turned out to be a keeper. It is not the kind of place that would be in your two-fer book.

Pippa :wiggly Have you ever eaten there?