Favorite West Coast Campgrounds - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2002, 08:16 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Among Friends

No Michael I have not as yet eaten there . We do not get to Victoria too often as most of our camping is "up Island" as we say. I would love to know who owns that restaurant .Sounds like a little gem that someone in our government might own.Pure supposition on my part of course.I will ask our son to check it out when he's there on business from Nanaimo.
What was the cuisine Michael?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:01 AM   #42

i believe the food at “Among Friends” is called “Canadian Family Style”.:wiggly

Old 11-06-2002, 02:03 AM   #43

Quote:
Orginally posted by Michael Sanders

i believe the food at “Among Friends” is called “Canadian Family Style”.:wiggly
Canadian Family Style??? Now that is a term I have not heard of EVER! :o

Old 11-06-2002, 08:57 AM   #44

Whaaaaaaaat!

Michael , There is so such thing unless its a White Spot! I thought this was an exclusive little trysting place catering to the priviledged few!:ola

Old 11-06-2002, 11:36 AM   #45

Pippa

'Canadian Family Style' sounds about as appetizing as 'Chinese & Western Cuisine' - am I right? :o

Old 11-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #46

Children and Life

Christine-Looking back as a parent (one of mine is now in thirties, the other will be there next year), esp during the teen years, I see that children instinctively employ Divide & Conquer (aka in my family The Wedge) -- The best defense against this is both a united front and Divide the Current Responsibility (wherein one watches and the other rests; believing that all things must be done together as a complete family unit at all times puts you at a distinct disadvantage when dealing with a kranky kid). Truly smart parents don't merely watch, they keep the little stinkers BUSY enuf that they don't have time to get into trouble themselves!

Take a cue from the military; everyone isn't awake all day to let the ship run by itself at nite, nor is everyone in the trenches awake at the same time (except brief period near dawn when attack is likely); rest must be scheduled.

Even if all you do is take turns running around in circles with the kid, you can wear him right down into the ground (until he catches on and starts something new). Always bear in mind that the first few years of a child's life are almost totally dedicated to applying raw intelligence to the task of manipulating parents, whereas only a very small percentage of the parents' time is devoted to manipulating kids (reacting to them, yes; anticipateing and deflecting, no).

What happens when you are fixing supper and the phone rings? That's a prime time for kid to come in, demand something and get it! If you were paying attention, that would only happen a few times at most...

A big secret for fun on trips is to take along a child companion for each child. Everyone will be better behaved in their roles as guest or host (even parents) and they will be too busy picking on each other to pick on you.

The strange part is we were all teens once, and remember how we used to compare parenting notes with our peers, but now that we are grown and theoretically more experienced and wiser, we adults fail to compare teen notes with our peers, which puts the teens ahead on collective intelligence and applied application.

Read some parenting books; lots of experience by others. Also read the nursing level books about life stages for babies to adolescents, so your reaction will be "Here comes that stage" instead of "What the heck is going on here?".

Pace yourself; the Terrible Twos are merely some advance warning of the teen years, but thinking 18 is a magic number after which all will be OK would be an error. They don't truly become civilized until mid-20's, altho they do stop getting worse about 19.

Pete, wishing he had known all the above before and not just after, and Rats

Old 11-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #47

chinese western cuisine

Rick, yes you are right, and I do believe its another "oxywhatsit";)

Old 11-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #48

Family Style

“Canadian Family Style”
so are you saying Canada doesn't have families or doesn't cook for families. maybe you have to be Canadian to understand, because I sure don't. I've always liked family style, means your mother would have cooked like this if she was talented at cooken. or the person cooken is a mother like person so food taste like home. or is that 'Home Cooken'. I just won't eat at places in Canada that say Family Style as I don't know what that is.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

“Canadian Family Style” so are you saying Canada doesn't have families or doesn't cook for families.
:wiggly No, No, No...

Sorry if I offended anyone.
I was just trying to fill in the blanks. I have no idea what “Among Friends” calls there cuisine. They make one menu for everyone for the night. Their food is really good.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:43 PM   #50

Sorry!

Michael, Jana.:red
It did occur to me that our remarks might be misunderstood.I am so sorry it did seem like we were being glib. Let me explain, Usually when a restaurant here is small with limited menu they are not "family oriented" See, to us a family restaurant is like Dennys where you would take the kiddies in their soccer gear etc, good places but not for a special evening out.The ladies with their sparklers made me think it was super expensive.
I hope this makes sense .I am definately going make a point of going next time. In fact our son phoned last night and we told him to look into it.You certainly did not offend anyone Michael far from it .:)

Old 11-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #51

OHHH!!

I got it. everybody gets many choices = family style
One choice or close = the other one. very glad to hear that, because I always thought Canada had families, glad I was right. ;)

I enjoy learning different culture things. It can be 'normal' to me and be totally different somewhere else. On word difference I remember from Indiana is they have pitch-ins. I thought it was a group trash collections, ahhh ball game? Wrong. It's the same thing we here in OK call a pot-luck. everyone brings food and you get some of everyones. or at least that what they told me. :r

Old 11-07-2002, 12:11 AM   #52

We were just having fun..

...'cause me and Pippa ain't never heard of "Canadian Family Style'

It doesn't exist - but it is fun to wonder what it would be like!

:) :)

Old 11-07-2002, 12:22 AM   #53

Michael Sanders

I have to check out this place now...sounds great.......thanks for the heads up! ;)

Old 11-07-2002, 12:34 AM   #54

They don't take walk-ins. You must have a reservation.

Old 11-07-2002, 10:15 AM   #55

Other Family Style

"Family Style" means different things to different folks. At many Basque restaurants, for example, "Family Style" can mean long tables with one large group or a few small groups are combined. And, except for the main course, all the food is served in large bowls or platters that are shared among everyone at the table. So if you are with a large group, the table is all yours. But if you are a couple, you may be seated with a small group that you don't know and have to ask strangers to pass the soup, salad, etc. In Nevada, not all Basque restaurants are like this, but many are.

Some people really like this style, but I really don't. It doesn't always work well. Like when someone grabs their french fries with their hands and then passes the platter to you. :sick

Old 11-07-2002, 10:57 AM   #56

or......

takes a bite of something and doesn't like it so they put it back. eeeeuuuuueeeewwww!:o

Old 11-07-2002, 12:36 PM   #57

Suz - that's gross!

I thought this thread was about West Coast Camgrounds? :o

Old 11-07-2002, 01:23 PM   #58

Presuming that's the Texas San Antonio (there's at least one more, in Florida) and you are in Texas, my favorite is Big Bend NP, sort of near the West Coast of the Rio Grande River :)

Just don't go at Thanksgiving, Easter or Spring Break as it is quite crowded and they sometimes run out of water (and water is scarce just prior to those times because they are trying to top off the tanks).

My favorite CG there is The Basin, which is suitable for Eggs but not longer rigs. I HIGHLY advise that you park rig right outside CG entrance and walk the roads to see where you can and can not go, because some of them are only spurs with no turn-around and the place is littered with CharlesRocks,which, like the infamous CharlesTrees, will leap out and strike your rig when you aren't looking in all the mirrors.

The hot springs are also nice but don't even think of dragging your egg in there; I wouldn't even try to take a longbed club cab pickup in there (single lane road curves around outcrop of rock on one side with road crumbling into gulley on other).

Pete and Rats

Old 11-07-2002, 06:20 PM   #59

West Coast was the title to this thread

Favorite memories in northeastern California were Burney Falls State Park and Lake Almanor (a PG&E campground, as I recall.) This of course dates back a few years when tent camping out of a sports car was our style.

On the coast, Petrolia on the northern CA "lost coast" and Yachats in Oregon.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:15 AM   #60

George

ok....I'll bite...on behalf of all those who do not know you - Just how old are you ? :reye2